• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Massey Ferguson Dozers??

Jeff D.

I know they use to make them. I looked at one while shopping for a dozer last year.

I was wondering why I'd hardly ever heard of them, and what they were like?
Do any of our "long in the tooth" operators here have any experience/knowledge about them?

Were they just not up to the task, and that's why they're not mentioned ever?

Possibly made for MF by someone else?:beatsme

I'm just curious of their history & quality.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Never heard of a MF dozer but I'll put money on a Perkins diesel......the hand priming pump for the fuel system will be on one side of the engine and the bleed screw will be on the other. So when you change a filter in the field, or replace the AC lift pumps which are forever leaking oil, you will need two people to prime the fuel system. This is great if you are on your own and 11 miles from the nearest person with no transport:(

Just thought I'd share that with you:rolleyes:

Jeff D.

Never heard of a MF dozer but I'll put money on a Perkins diesel......the hand priming pump for the fuel system will be on one side of the engine and the bleed screw will be on the other. So when you change a filter in the field, or replace the AC lift pumps which are forever leaking oil, you will need two people to prime the fuel system. This is great if you are on your own and 11 miles from the nearest person with no transport:(

Just thought I'd share that with you:rolleyes:
The one I looked at did have a Perkins diesel. The dozer was about the size of my 350, but don't remember the model #. I thought those Perkins engines were good? I've no experience with them, only what I've been told.:beatsme

Thanks!

I'm curious as too how big a dozer they made. Anything that would've given competition too AC Cat IH etc. in the old days?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Perkins are OK, they had their "things" but they were generally good to get parts for.

From what I can find the MF crawler was a very limited run, only the one size.

wrenchbender

Here's their model 200 track loader I found here:http://www.machinerytrader.com

One of my customers used to own one of those he bought it in poor condition and it got worse from there. The more things we repaired the more things needed repairing. Till finally the rear end (RING & PINION) went out and that was the last I saw of it. As I remember it was under powered even for a small crawler and the tracks were very narrow not an ideal machine. Of coarse remember the the first thing I said it was very well used when I first saw it. Oh yeah it was a pain in the a$$ to work on as well not mechanic friendly!

Deas Plant

Massey Ferguson crawlers

Hi, Folks.
From what I can remember, the Massey Ferguson crawler range, track loaders and dozers, was made by some obscure Italian firm under the MF badge. Many did have Perkins engines in them and that was their most reliable part. (Perkins must have had something going for them for Cat to buy them out just to get the engine making facility.)

I only ran two out of the range and I couldn't tell you how extensive the range really was. I ran a MF 3366 track loader and later a MF 200 track loader. I also know that they had a 2244 at the same time as the 3366 and that these were replaced by the 200 and 300 respectively. They also had a 400 track loader and presumably an equivalent 400 dozer but I wouldn't swear to the latter.

The 3366 was around the same size as the Cat 941 track loader, perhaps just a tad smaller, and worked O.K. while I was on it, about a month. However, there were never a LOT of them around where I worked in DownUnder and I can only assume that there were a few lacks affecting this - like lack of service, lack of spares, lack of machine availability due to downtime, etc..

jhill

I don't think Massey's industrial line ever sold very well. Never saw many around. I think the dozers you found were as big as they sold in the U.S.

Jeff D.

C'mon you guys, haven't you ever seen a grey market machine before??:cool2

Jeff D.

The link worked that time.:thumbsup That 200 looks like the dozer I looked at.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
struggling here

The link works, but there must be some trick to lifting the picture out of it and posting it, cause I can't do it either, at least not easily...