• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Manitowoc 4600 at night

Miningpower

Occupation
Equipment operator
Here's one of our Manitowoc 4600 draglines working at night. These are the most popular draglines to work in anthracite mining in Pennsylvania. Standard bucket capacity on a 4600 is 7 yds.

Here's a vid
YouTube - Manitowoc 4600 Working at Night

Attachments

• IMG_8926.JPG
    IMG_8926.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 3,426
  • IMG_8937.JPG
    IMG_8937.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,610
  • IMG_8944.JPG
    IMG_8944.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,794

poclainshovel

Banned
Very nice video. I have been following you on youtube for awhile now and you entertain me alot. I have some questions if you have the time. When you say "everything mining..." does that also mean the Caterpillar 345BL? And also, when you say "the best mining channel on youtube" isn't that alittle bit to much self confidence? I mean its good but I think to much of yourself.

Lexy

Occupation
Freelance Photographer (For Hire!)
This is just another example of how interesting Anthracite Mining is! Great stuff I must say!

See, all of us down here in the lower Illinois Basin aren't used to the draglines stripping the coal seam. Really cool!

Miningpower

Occupation
Equipment operator
Very nice video. I have been following you on youtube for awhile now and you entertain me alot. I have some questions if you have the time. When you say "everything mining..." does that also mean the Caterpillar 345BL? And also, when you say "the best mining channel on youtube" isn't that alittle bit to much self confidence? I mean its good but I think to much of yourself.

No because there's only two people who film from the anthracite mines in PA. Walt Bennett and I. And he only films draglines while I film "Everything" as my title says, everything that works in anthracite mining, you’ll see on my channel. I'm the only person who shows you some of the rarest equipment, half of which I'm the only one with videos of, so I just like to take pride in my work. My channel is my hobby.

This is just another example of how interesting Anthracite Mining is! Great stuff I must say!

See, all of us down here in the lower Illinois Basin aren't used to the draglines stripping the coal seam. Really cool!

Thanks! You guys down south normally use electric shovels and loaders to take out the coal then?

Last edited:

poclainshovel

Banned
Well then should it then say "the best ANTRACITE mining channel"? And you are not the only one who shows the rarest equipment. Yes, some of the stuff is rare but there are many other videos on youtube of rare equipment. Your not the ONLY one. Most of it anyway is rusted and half destoryed with trees and bursh all over it. I do not see any Link Belt draglines or a Acco dozer.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i have ran a few manitowocs, although never as a drag. they are the smoothest, in my humble opinion.

Lexy

Occupation
Thanks! You guys down south normally use electric shovels and loaders to take out the coal then?

Again, it's my pleasure!!! I love the Anthracite videos and pics!

Let me give you a picture to show you what they do (not much different than over in Western PA and Ohio).

On the top is how they "USED" to do it if they had big contracts, lots of customers, and needed the coal yesterday. The big shovels, like this one (The Marion 5960) would dig overburden only. Today, they are just using draglines like the refurbished one on the bottom to uncover the coal. After they uncover it, small loading shovels or front end loaders will dig out the vein and load the haul trucks as the dragline moves down the pit. The shovels from "yesterday" would dig down to the vein and then walk over the top of it while all the loaders went in behind and removed the vein. As they both worked together like this, the pit would advance. The shovels, the big ones like this one pictured, were the way to go but operating cost were high and they could dig you out of a job pretty fast. LOL!

The dragline on the bottom, a Page 752LR Digital Walking Dragline should start digging any day now. The shovel on the top here, which I got to get on because my dad worked on it, was scraped in 1989 unfortunately. It was the fourth largest in the world at the time too darn it!

Keep up the great work on the videos!!!

Attachments

• 4196244024_d2b064c73e_o.jpg
    4196244024_d2b064c73e_o.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,585
  • 4193762520_3c91a0ee3b.jpg
    4193762520_3c91a0ee3b.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 2,598

2stagefanWI

Well as rude as poclainshovel may be (maybe he has a beef to pick with you or something)... i still think you have some great material, nice pics and videos!

Miningpower

Occupation
Equipment operator
Again, it's my pleasure!!! I love the Anthracite videos and pics!

Let me give you a picture to show you what they do (not much different than over in Western PA and Ohio).

On the top is how they "USED" to do it if they had big contracts, lots of customers, and needed the coal yesterday. The big shovels, like this one (The Marion 5960) would dig overburden only. Today, they are just using draglines like the refurbished one on the bottom to uncover the coal. After they uncover it, small loading shovels or front end loaders will dig out the vein and load the haul trucks as the dragline moves down the pit. The shovels from "yesterday" would dig down to the vein and then walk over the top of it while all the loaders went in behind and removed the vein. As they both worked together like this, the pit would advance. The shovels, the big ones like this one pictured, were the way to go but operating cost were high and they could dig you out of a job pretty fast. LOL!

The dragline on the bottom, a Page 752LR Digital Walking Dragline should start digging any day now. The shovel on the top here, which I got to get on because my dad worked on it, was scraped in 1989 unfortunately. It was the fourth largest in the world at the time too darn it!

Keep up the great work on the videos!!!

That is awesome! I always wanted to see one of those monsters, pity they scarped the Spade. They really should have preserved more of the super strippers. I was amazed when I visited the bituminous surface mines how different they mine the coal compared to how we mine it in the anthracite field.

Thanks, and will do!!

Lexy

Occupation
That is awesome! I always wanted to see one of those monsters, pity they scarped the Spade. They really should have preserved more of the super strippers. I was amazed when I visited the bituminous surface mines how different they mine the coal compared to how we mine it in the anthracite field.

Thanks, and will do!!

Justin, it's my pleasure to share with you what I have! Thank you as well!

As for the "Spade". There are two or three of these shovels that should be parked in a museum lot somewhere instead of being scraped. But, that's the business I suppose.

JDOFMEMI

I think it is great that you take these videos to share with those who would otherwise never get to see the mining machines in action.

poclainshovel

Banned
Well as rude as poclainshovel may be (maybe he has a beef to pick with you or something)... i still think you have some great material, nice pics and videos!

You obviously do not know what good is !! Have you seen Walter Bennet's videos !! That is good video !!

Lexy

Occupation
You obviously do not know what good is !! Have you seen Walter Bennet's videos !! That is good video !!

I agree that Walter Bennett has some fantastic videos! That goes without saying. But I believe the two folks we have here, Justin and Walter, have different ways to document these mines. I respect and appreciate both. And by no means does it make one better than the other. I just wish these guys would make it out of Eastern PA and down to my part of the world sometime!!! LOL!!!

poclainshovel

Banned
I agree that Walter Bennett has some fantastic videos! That goes without saying. But I believe the two folks we have here, Justin and Walter, have different ways to document these mines. I respect and appreciate both. And by no means does it make one better than the other. I just wish these guys would make it out of Eastern PA and down to my part of the world sometime!!! LOL!!!

Walter Bennett is much better at filimg these machines !! He does not only show 3-4 minutes !! And doesn't say one word !! Unlike this fellow we have who talks the enitre video !!

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
Walter Bennett is much better at filimg these machines !! He does not only show 3-4 minutes !! And doesn't say one word !! Unlike this fellow we have who talks the enitre video !!

geeze, poclain, 11 posts and you are allready busting chops. great people skills, buddy. lets see your videos.
we will wait patiently.:)

Lexy

Occupation
Personally, I think you should be happy we have any video out of any mine. The way OSHA and MSHA has cracked down on miners in the last few years, it's a wonder they still get breaks. Plus, I would be a bit more respectful unless you know Justin personally and you have a legitimate axe to grind with him. Otherwise, I would move on and not continue down this path.

But, I'm like the poster above me. Where's your work at?

poclainshovel

Banned
Personally, I think you should be happy we have any video out of any mine. The way OSHA and MSHA has cracked down on miners in the last few years, it's a wonder they still get breaks. Plus, I would be a bit more respectful unless you know Justin personally and you have a legitimate axe to grind with him. Otherwise, I would move on and not continue down this path.

But, I'm like the poster above me. Where's your work at?

Those guys out there wont even buy paint rust spots on machines !! They no care who on there site !! I don't know him and never willl !! My work is in a trench !!