• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

callingtheshop

Any details on the wrecked truck Rick? Looks like a nice rebuild on H108 by the way.
No idea at all. Just before Lloyd retired he gave me a handful of photos and that was one of them.
H-108 was almost a 10, no bucks for new so the maintenance budget took a big hit on rebuilds to keep the fleet working.
I often wonder if it was worth it? None of the bean counters would admit it either way.

HDX

I think it was 1979 when H108 was redone Alex McKenzie got her. He retired driving her Shame was that truck would become a victim of the economic downturn in the forest industry a few years later. She had a trans failure and was parked. This would be her demise because the next thing that was taken off her was the rear ends then the engine and that pretty well ended her career. This was the first truck to have the entire interior lined with that sheet lead to act as a sound deadener IT WORKED. Somewhere I have a picture of the cab being thrown into the scrap bin Could not do anything to stop it. Truck was then cut up and deposited into the bin also. As for the Wreck pictures That was Mario Luvisotto driving H283. A 1968 WHDX with V12 GM and an 8speed Clark auto trans The truck he tangled with was just bought from Ron Peters from Lake Cowichan area. It was an AutoCar with a hayrack on the back (Chunk Truck) Mario was coming up from the Coleman Dump empty and was just outside of camp and came sifting along on a corner when Brian Shaw who had just bought the truck was going to the dump Well they met on the corner and this is what happened. Mario had to be cut out of the truck and it was loaded onto a lowbed and went back to Hayes in Vancouver to be rebuilt Was only two years old when this happened. Don't know what ever happened to Brian after this. His (tongman) side- kick was Bobby Adams from Parksville. Another couple names lost to history. There is more pictures of this wreck around but this one shows all.

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
when I was apprenticing at Juskatla,I changed a few door windows and latches and at first could never figure out why there was a bunch of pebbles in the bottom of the door. After a couple of times I did figure out it was lead that had been used as a sound deadener. The lead sheeting was gone by the time I started there. Thanks for the info on the wrecked truck, I hope both guys were okay.

HDX

HD Mech What Hayes did was glue or cat cement sheet lead onto the inside of the door panel and it helped stop the window regulator chain slap against the tin panel noise as well as gave the door a heavier feel When you closed the door you didn't have to grab it with both hands and yard on it like I see some guys do now. HHMM wonder why that window broke or got cracked. The secret to Hayes doors is to keep the dovetails in the door jam --the two on the door and the two in the post in working order The Hansen door assy if kept greased will work for a long time.I take the LPS with the little red nozzle and squirt it down inside the door to lube that assy . I have noticed the new ones are a LOT CHEAPER MADE NOW than the old ones. As with the window chain regulator. Once the door starts to get worn and move the cab will start to split and crack at the top on the front and back This was the fatal flaw with a Hayes cab. Some guys get peed off because the drivers door window will get worn in the tracks or the tracks themselves will eventually wear the fiber out and let the window rattle around Simple easy fix can be done on ANY TRUCK WINDOW Roll the window down and get one of these plastic snap ties The longer the better and cut the little square head off it and insert the snap tie into the rear track with the pointed end down. It will friction stay in no-- more window rattle . If it does not want to stay in position remove it and smash it a little flatter with a hammer thus making it a hair wider and try it again You will be surprised how well it works LOL

wickjr

Mills on a loogi

I was part of a crew who hauled a 120 ft broomstick from bush to dump at Lake Cowichan. Lead truck had butt end on his truck bunk,rear truck had top end on his truck bunk.Leader was Jack Gundersen followed by Dan Wickham. Dan had to back up for 18 miles.I followed with lowbed and American loader to unload. What a chore. HDX would know how this is done and may have done it himself.

I happened to stumble across this thread and read your comment above. I am Dan Wickham's eldest son and drove off highway logging trucks while going to university in the late 60's and early 70's. Jack Gunderson told me about the long log haul with dad but of course dad never said anything about it and I forgot about it. Dad passed away in July 2014. Over 400 people attended his celebration of life. Even at 85 he still had a lot of friends and admirers. Backing up for 18 miles on a logging road is no easy feat. He was one of the best so I guess that's why he was the driver going backwards.

Dad had quite a collection of photos from his days in the bush. I will go through them and see if any relate to that haul.

Dan Wickham Jr.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Welcome Dan. I remember you driving for a while then onto another career. Have you found the Crown Zellerbach site. There are some pics there of Nitinat Camp. One pic. Shows your Dad and Bob James slugging thru the snow in the yard to get to Olsen's shop. Dad was on the chunk truck with Howie then. Any pictures would be great. I sent all mine to camptramp to post. Excellent fellow at post it. I believe you are still in CR. I talk to Squeak 1-2 times a week. If you need any info or help,you can send a PMto myself or camptramp. Once again,welcome aboard. I would visit Dad once in awhile and he only got angry if I would not have a beer. Lucky of course

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Boy,I have been missing something.Tough getting old!Ron G

HDX

wickjr Your dads KW Cab is still around but unfortunately the truck was cut up. Was bought by Timbermill contracting here in Alberni. One of the driver /mechanics managed to save the cab and has installed it on a small truck frame He has it running around out at his place. He lives just across from the golf coarse when coming into port alberni. Look down in the shed on the left and you will see it there. Guy's name is BOB really interesting guy Very talented also

callingtheshop

Franklin River 36.jpgFranklin River 37.jpgFranklin River 38.jpg All photos from Franklin River. E-59, there was a newer E-59 in my life so I think it was a photo from Lloyd that was probably the 1st E-59. E-41, I think Geno operated it for a long time road building before excavators ruled. The loader had an engine failure, I can't remember any details about it. The K-448, now that bus had personality plus! One night Magic Fingers Norm was servicing it and said we had to have a look in the crew compartment. It was wall to wall ditties and yes I have photos of them but they're too explicit for the tender eyes on this forum.

HDX

K448 was the Sarita Dump and boom crew bus originally. Lou Toneff drove it That was THE LAST BUS into Camp B every night because Lou always wanted the extra driving time. One day Ron Gunderson (Woods Foreman) asked just how many seats were in that bus Turns out every truck driver hauling in Sarita was putting down that crummy number on their time cards for travel time because it was ALWAYS LATE

CDNFF02

Occupation
HD/Commercial Truck Mechanic
H-274

Sorry for the poor Shot of this Picture. This is an original water colour by Doug Harrison, Depiction the H-274 watering up at the old water tower on CC main.image.jpg

CDNFF02

Occupation
HD/Commercial Truck Mechanic
Thank you d.d. I had the pleasure of working for M&B at NWB just before Weyerhaeuser "we r a user" took over as a mechanic and just had broke in on Logging truck before I left. I saw the writing on the wall there and pulled the pin before s**t hit the fan. I still can't believe they tore the old shop down. Great crew of guys there, it was tough to leave but I think I avoided about 4 years of uncertanity. They seemed to have levelled out there now an have the new shop. Before I Started at NWB I was fueling the woods machines at Sproat and NWB for Chevron. I have some equipment pictures hiding someplace, I will post them when I dig them out.