• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

dirty4fun

Happy Birthday H 17 glad that you and the driver are still going strong, you have made quite a team. I do believe Steve is just as proud of you now as he was when he first sat in the seat and drove you the first time. Both H 17 and Steve deserve lots of respect, from everyone. Look forward to seeing you again this summer, and then one day when you are back to your original colors!

Last edited:

HDX

callingtheshop That was right at the height of the pup and train time. The "Birdmobile" H208 is there hooking onto an empty trailer splitting the empty trains up Trev the "Yardbird" would have been around there close. Funny to see the L/F trailer stake painted white. Remember that was so the drivers/shovel operators knew it was a lead trailer so they kept the logs regular length instead of having long logs on them This meant that the trailer had been modified to pull pups. (air system and comox hitch welded onto them. I will dig out some of the pup/train pictures and post them.

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
HDX you sure have kept H17 in good shape over the years. Congrats on another year! Still going strong and looking sharp.

Last edited:

HDX

HD Mech Thanks for that!!! One day Red & White again The same red as above. I still have the two little cans of touch up paint she came with when new but somehow don't think there is enough to do what must be done LOL It is guys like you that made it all work Without mechanics you have nothing. I was very lucky over the years some very talented mechanics have graced her fenders and did some amazing things.

HDX

HD Mech Thanks for that!!! One day Red & White again The same red as above. I still have the two little cans of touch up paint she came with when new but somehow don't think there is enough to do what must be done LOL It is guys like you that made it all work Without mechanics you have nothing. I was very lucky over the years some very talented mechanics have graced her fenders and did some amazing things.

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic

Well mechanics really appreciate operators who care about their equipment, it makes our job easier as you know. One day my wife and I will make it to Port and hope to see your truck. I have shown her pictures from here and she really likes H17.

HDX

FRPD I think Trakloader's computer is not working, Was talking to him a while ago and he was really having trouble trying to get anything to work.

HDX

HD Mech You bet sounds like a plan. Blk prince They are there alright It is the steel plate under them that throws you off. I went out this last summer and had the guys at McLeans Mill cut me new ones out of yellow cedar. Pretty reasonable as well for pricing. What a job to install them though. BUT they smell great in the sun! Don't know how they will stand up to weather Maybe rot faster than the fir ones that were on there. We will see when she comes home and we take them off to paint everything red again. Keep a weekend or three open when that happens LOL

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
To anyone interested,Ritchie Brothers are setting up a sale out at Duke Point. Do not know the date. Started to see some failed red and white iron with M&B decals

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Cool...Original stuff is nice.I used to have a whole case of those owners manuals but have given all but one away over the years.I have some sort of account sheet as well..There is some Hayes letter head paper around here somewhere as well...

As to how I got it all ....My dad got a tour of the Hayes shop after it shut down.He was just as pissed off as everyone else....Cory003.jpg004.jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Two questions,when new did H-17 come with Allison? And in pictures showing trailer loading,is that a new trailer with old tires?

HDX

Blk prince Yes to new with Allison, and the trailer was one of the ones that came in mid to late 1974 with H316 317 318 319 320 321 6 trucks and 12 trailers. H17 came alone and had a new FU910 steering axle strapped to the back of the water tank as a spare for the Franklin fleet. We had just got 17 new HDX's in three years so a spare steering axle set up for a HDX was a good thing to have around.