• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

HDX

This is just a shot in the dark but some of the old Madill guys are looking for info on when Marilyn Monroe went to Northwest Bay Division for a visit and to see the logging being done there This would have been in the mid 50s and she had a cast on her leg Seems she broke her ankle skiing in Banff Maybe somebody's dad would remember

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I met Pete a few years ago, after many years had passed since we worked at Sproat Lake. His spouse works at the Care home my Mother is residing in up near the Orange Bridge - I always ask her how he's doing. Say hi to him for me - and tell him I now think that he has the better job than me...... How's old George doing?

HDX

Too bad the Squamish guys couldnt get together and drag that old CL350 out of there and kind of make a "GATE GUARD out of her She is the only thing left of M&B over there Just kind of prop her up with the water tank on and use plywood to cover up where the rad use to be and scrub her down --little red paint here and there While on the subject Do any of you guys on here know any of the old original Squamish Division Drivers??? I am trying to track down any of them still around to talk to PM me if you wouldnt mind Thank You

BTC

HDX,

My grandfather worked at NWB 3 times over his career with M+B. We couldn't find anywhere that showed Marilyn Munroe. Did find pictures of Princess Elizabeth before she became the queen from sometime around 1952 or 53.

HDX

OK Thats great I think the Madill guys are still looking but I dont know how they made out Thanks for looking Hopefully something will turn up eventually

skadill

Lumber Carrier

I know its only a pavement piece,but its name and color give it some deserved respect.It was scrapped last summer,this pic is the last of it.

Attachments

• DSCN1321.jpg
    DSCN1321.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 1,388
  • DSCN1322.jpg
    DSCN1322.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 1,412
  • DSCN1323.jpg
    DSCN1323.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 1,302

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
A 9G with an angle blade..SWEET!
If that skinner had a grizzly bear with a chain saw cutting his right-of-way, that would be two of the best killing machines ever!

wornout wrench

Okay guys, once I can sit down and get a chance I'll drag all of my Dad's old slides out, got lots of logging pic from the heydays of MB.
I'll post some once I get it figured out how to do it. Might take me a day or so to get them here

BTC

HDX,

That picture of the Kenworth for sale in #426. H-243!!!!!! Was that a Kelsey Bay truck? mountains in back look like Newcastle ridge in Kelsey Bay.

wornout wrench

That is definitely the Kelsey shop.
I can't remember any of the trucks havingBuddd wheels on the front, you can see the old chain drive behind it, H-173 I think, that is the one down at the forestry museum in Duncan now so it is really going back in time.
In the mid to late 70's they threw a glider kit onto a few of the trucks and some were turned into spar carriers, had to lengthen the frame and put bigger springs in the fr axle, they might have changed up the front to FU-910 to handle the weight.
H-243 rings a bell but just can't remember for sure.
Too much time, too many trucks and too much water under the bridge

wornout wrench

Can't remember for sure if we did 3 or 4, a couple were old yarders that were mounted on old military tank retrievers, I remember one went to madill and got a brand new tower put on it, I think that was the J-78, had twin mains on it. What I remember most about that one was the first trip out to the bush it blew the quill shaft 1/2 up the hill. Never even got out to the bush and the wrenches had to do their thing. The air cleaners were full of dust and paint and too much restriction for the blowers.

BTC

H-243, Bear Cub! Loren Smith i believe. It is before my time but i think i heard that at some point. All the drivers on those old trucks were in new ones when i was a kid growing up there in the mid 80"s

wornout wrench

BTC, I think that you are right, Cubby was there at that time. That might have been the truck that he made the infamous "Cubby Hole" in the shop with.

BTC

J-78 made it 8 Km's out the mainline and broke down on garbage dump hill. H-243 was involved in a rather funny moment many years ago. Donald Sprout loaded it out in Rooney Lake country. Stan Jones was on it that day and he took it to Ever River instead of going right at Rooney Lake junction. Drove it all the way down to the Eve River sort. Just had a good conversation with an old loader operator from those days, he says thanks for the trip down memeory lane

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Wondering here which M&B Div was known as the Thunder Bird Div ?

wornout wrench

I think that it must have been Kelsey, they had a whack of them for a while, I think all the hoe chuckers were 1146's. I didn't have much to do with them, left the division around the time they showed up and came back about the time the last one was scrapped out.

BTC

L-104 was a Thunderbird-John Queen
L-131 was a Thunderbird-Brian Lidstrom
L-144 was a Thunderbird-Bill Marsh
L-163 was a Thunderbird-Norm Herbin
L-166 was a Thunderbird-Mazio Batustiz
These machines operated at Kelsey Bay, a couple of operators went down to Ross equipment back in the day and had a look at how they were built and then operated them at various locations. That would make Kelsey Bay the T-Bird division 075. When does the 2258(formally H-05) get to kelsey bay 075. Looking forward to seeing it. Looks great in your pictures.