• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mack CL350 ST logging truck

dmills1419

Occupation
Self Employeed Model Truck Maker
Woops, messed up on that one...It's a Hayes (been changed so much thought it was a Mack)

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Mark 5

Here is the Mark 5 hauling in Goat Lake when Butlers had it out trying to sell it.here it is pulling adverse just below Goat 1 turn off on the Weldwood mainline, later they hooked up another trailer to it but the road proved too narrow and it ended up in the weeds. Bob Miller was driving it for Andy Byrne at the time, photo by Rory Maitland

Attachments

• Butler Bros.  Mark 5 001 (640x465).jpg
    Butler Bros. Mark 5 001 (640x465).jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 1,884

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
better add some Mack pics I guess. Ted Routh's Mack hauling for Weldwood.

Attachments

• img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,385
  • img016.jpg
    img016.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 974
  • img209.jpg
    img209.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,089
  • img210.jpg
    img210.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 955

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Well after lots of help from many members here in the forestry area of the HEF, i have completed a 1/24 scale model (static) of a CL-350ST, Cummins KTA-600, Allison CL(B)T-5960, 14:0025 boots & a 15' bunk. the model is completely scratch built from varying thicknesses of ABS, with brass, aluminum, mahogany, rubber & steel.

RCM CL350STdfl2.JPG
RCM CL350STdr.JPG
RCM CL350STho.JPG
RCM CL350STpf.JPG

A special thanks to Hayesno1 & HDX

Cheers
Ap40

dmills1419

Occupation
Self Employeed Model Truck Maker
ap40rocktruck; Real Nice Job On The CL-350 St Mack, too bad you had to spoil it with that logo on the doors when there are so many good Canadian Companies that had them. People out in the northwest are not too fond of Weyerhauser and can't say I blame them with what they have done to the forest products industry.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
ap40rocktruck; Real Nice Job On The CL-350 St Mack, too bad you had to spoil it with that logo on the doors when there are so many good Canadian Companies that had them. People out in the northwest are not too fond of Weyerhauser and can't say I blame them with what they have done to the forest products industry.

I originally planned to paint it blue & white and have Clyack decals made, but i ran into time problems while building the model with the flu........

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
Really nice job on the Mack! Have you built a trailer yet? Then all it would need is a nice load on it. A couple of questions though, the truck you built it like, did it have only one air cleaner and two mufflers? I only ask because when I worked on the off highway log trucks they had two mufflers because it had a muffler for each side of a 12V71 engine or just one muffler when powered by a Cummins or Cat for that matter. They also all had two air filter housings that in the case of a Cummins or Cat were joined together with a Y connector. Don't get me wrong, that is a AWESOME job! Just curious is all.

Last edited:

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Thanks HD Mech, Yes i have a trailer in the works for it, just did not have the time to finish it yet. My old friend HDX had given me enough information years ago for a 60 ton Hayes trailer, so that is what it will have. On the dual exhaust vs single for a Cummins motor, I just prefer the look of the twin side by side stacks. Plus the factory chassis drawing i have from Mack trucks, shows a SINGLE 2 stage air cleaner & DUAL side by side stacks. In planning out the model, I had printed every image from this thread up to July of 2013, plus Hayesno1 sent me many close ups of bone yard & dilapidated Clyack units. Sadly between all the photos, these really was not enough clear detail to model just one specific truck.

Like i said in response to dmills1419, the door decal was only done as i just did not have the time & clear image to create a accurate Clyack decal. So this build is a blend of all the photos i have for factory new, & shop re-built / modified.

Later on down the road, i will build at least 2 more, one in blue & one in M&B red and white, both will have the 12V-71.

Thanks again to everyone who helped & please more comments & information is always appreciated.
Ap40

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
In addition, when I do build another 1 or 2, i will correct the water bunker (came out way to wide) and add much more detail. this one still needs the entire water cooled brakes plumbing, under hood wiring & missing reservoirs, and a few small details. The main goal in the model was to enter it in a local model car / truck show. the show is unique as it is the only one to give out a "Mack truck award".........

Ap40

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
Well I think you should win the" Mack truck award" hands down! The truck looks great! Makes me want to try building one, or probably a Hayes or Pacific as I worked on them more. I don't have the experience that you obviously do as I just build plastic models, mainly stock cars. One day I will try though. One question about the tires, do you make the tread pattern yourself or are you able to buy them?

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Well I think you should win the" Mack truck award" hands down! The truck looks great! Makes me want to try building one, or probably a Hayes or Pacific as I worked on them more. I don't have the experience that you obviously do as I just build plastic models, mainly stock cars. One day I will try though. One question about the tires, do you make the tread pattern yourself or are you able to buy them?

HD Mech, yep, it brought home a 1st place & best Mack (that make 8 or 9 of them, not sure) LOL. I really like the fat trucks on the island, & someday before all is gone & forgotten I would like to make the journey from here to there, to see the trucks but more importantly, meet the folks who made a life with them.

Eventually, i want to build a Hayes HDX (#H-17 is the one), A Pacific P-16, a KW 850 and a Challenger. now to just live long enough...

Ap40

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
better add some Mack pics I guess. Ted Routh's Mack hauling for Weldwood.

This truck matches the factory drawing I used in constructing the scale model, Single air cleaner & dual side by side stacks. All i really need is a good clear photo of the door artwork & the "Weyerhauser" can come off & something better can go in its place.

Ap40

hd54

very nice but hate to say it this good looking beast does need better artwork on the doors some one who deserve this good looking beast not that outfit

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Nice job! I do have a question though...When are you gonna make one that moves?:D

HDX

ap40rocktruck. WOW you nailed it WELL DONE!!!! She will look good ANYWHERE I look around and think about how if not for you and some of the other guys that build models in such detail on this site-- a lot of people would never even see trucks like these. They are the miniature version of some of the best built trucks in history. Hayes, Mack, Kenworth, Pacific, and the Challanger. Butler Bros and even S.Madill built one Good job!!!

Bridget

Hello, I'm doing a bit of research on logging trucks for a forest harvesting course I'm taking through Thompson Rivers University. I'm wondering if someone could give me some basic info on these Mack trucks. What is it about these trucks that has made them such a powerhouse in off highway logging in B.C.? You all talk about the cab design quite a bit, is there anyone who could talk about the trailer and axle design? Any information would be much appreciated. The pics that are posted are amazing!