1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Mack CL350 ST logging truck

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by Hayesno1, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dmills1419

dmills1419 Well-Known Member

Self Employeed Model Truck Maker
    ap40rocktruck; I'm curious, what did you use for treadplate on the fenders. Did you use any "kit" parts, or is everything scratch built? Once again, fantastic job, the truck looks great. Looking foreward to seeing it with a trailer & load.

2. ap40rocktruck

ap40rocktruck Well-Known Member

Owner / Master Model Maker
    I used Plastruct .020" thick styrene diamond plate for the tops of the fenders. The model is about 90% scratch built from ABS, brass, aluminum & resin cast parts. I patterned & cast the Allison trans, rear axles & diffs, air cleaner, cab, wheels, tires, front and rear springs, rubber intake elbows, and various small detail bits. The Cummins KTA is a resin kit i purchased from another company (not recommended) as i found it would have been faster & easier to make & cast my own. I used the muffler body's & 1 heat shield from an aluminum / PE kit, along with the "Mack" PE emblems made by KFS, and to door decals are from Model Truckin Decals. The only parts from a model truck kit are the steering wheel, seats, air horns, head lights, Mack mirror heads & the dash gauges.

I did take a few photos during construction & can post some of them if anyone would like to see.

Thank you all again,

Ap40

3. RCP57

RCP57 Senior Member

commercial fisherman/part time elf
    Haha. Gotta get a dig in! It's a beautiful model for sure. I would love to see more pictures. Are the diffs and so on cast aluminum? If so, how do you make the molds? Sand cast? How much does it weigh? ...so many questions...

4. ap40rocktruck

Reg, The castings i do are all in resin, for strength in parts like the drive axles they are molded with 3/16" aluminum round baron the center line. this rod extends out about 1" on either side of the axle housing to facilitate mounting of the wheels & tires. The rear spring packs are molded with 2.0mm brass rod at the trunion center line, again for strength & ease of mounting. I will see if i can get a weight on it for you, I suspect it is right around 10 pounds.

5. RCP57

RCP57 Senior Member

commercial fisherman/part time elf
    That's very interesting. So how do you make the mold? Do you mock something up out of styrene first? I would like to learn more about all this for my own projects.

Post up those build pics!

6. ap40rocktruck

HHMM, how do I make my molds.....IMD company secrets. That being said,
    Here are a few shots during the build.

P1210423sm.jpg
    P1210420sm.JPG
    P1210457sm.jpg
    P1210459sm.JPG

7. HD Mech

HD Mech Well-Known Member

Heavy duty mechanic
    WOW! It's like watching a truck being built in a shop! Excellent! The transmission looks great, as do all the other parts.

8. dmills1419

dmills1419 Well-Known Member

Self Employeed Model Truck Maker
    Resin casting is no big secret, most of the companies that make the resins and supplies provide how to videos for a small charge. Some distributers that sell the products even offer classes for beginners. You can mold off anything that is rigid, plastic, metal, glass, you name it. Just do a sesrch on-line for casting resin & supplies.
    Don

9. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

You took the words right out of my mouth!

10. diamondtguy

diamondtguy Senior Member

machine fitter/fabricator
    Seeing that little transmission brings back a few "full size" memorys for me.....nicely done.....Cory

11. ap40rocktruck

I really need to thank members like HD-mech & Diamondtguy, who post all these great photos of building new ones or rebuilding & working on them in service shops.

I also need to thank HDX for his continued help & friendship thru the years, as well as Hayesno1 fantastic bone yard photos.

Ap40

12. diamondtguy

diamondtguy Senior Member

machine fitter/fabricator
    No problem sir...I hope people enjoy seeing the pics I took at Pacific as much as I enjoy seeing all the pics and reading all the storys of all the equipment at work......Cory

13. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
    Blk prince scan939.jpg

14. log big

log big Well-Known Member

new truck or old?

15. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

I think its an old ad not sure what year.

16. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Blk prince scan986.jpg scan987.jpg

17. Hank R

Hank R Senior Member

Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
    I was in Campbell river this May 5 and seen this Mack is alive and well, to me it looks well cared for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope it is all right to post these, as I am new here.

Hank R

18. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Wondered how long before you showed up Hank R Welcome aboard. Does Hank S know you are over here LOL

19. 525isx

525isx Well-Known Member

log trucker
    kenworth doors on a mack ?

20. Hank R

Hank R Senior Member

Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
    I am thinking that the doors are Pacific IH doors, with the round corners to solve any stress related cracks that square Mack doors had, Not 100% sure but that is what I read some time ago.