• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

lug nuts got loose

ctkiteboarding

seems the lug nuts were not tightened and they got loose, the rim has damage now and i cant keep them tight , any suggestions other then new rim? they are tapered already, so that's out

frogfarmer

Heavy washers the size of the studs. Put the wheel on then the washers and torque the nuts down. Weld the washers in place and the wheel will be servicable. Used wheels are reasonable in price and may be the easiest choice.

icestationzebra

The other issue is that if you have been running with a damaged rim the studs should probably be replaced. As the holes get wallowed out the studs take a beating and get fatigued. We used to have this problem with our old Gehl skid steer.

And when (not if) you get a new wheel you should replace the nuts.

ISZ

xcmark

Occupation
construction
A picture of the rim with the lug nut off and held in the photo so I can see if they are the correct set to run would be a big help in getting good advice.

Komatsu 150

I finally started having my guys always use a torque wrench on skidloader as the spec is much higher than you expect compared to say a truck lug - 250 ft. lbs. on our Bobcat.

ctkiteboarding

thanks for the input:usa I ordered a new rim ,, going to ck the torque on the others,,, 250ft/lbs seems high , all ive ever done is impact them with the 3/4 drive and never had issues, this is a 2007 with 180hrs ,machine is new to me 15 hrs ago, any idea what case calls for on the torque???? :drinkup

Gacoustic

I had this happen, I ended up re threading the existing studs and re drilled the rim holes a bit larger. Then I drilled a taper with a larger bit and simply bought larger O/S diameter lug nuts. Totally fixed the problem and they seem to stay tight.

Komatsu 150

I just happened to run across the torque spec yesterday and my memory was faulty. Actual spec was 270 to 320 ft. lbs. I know hard to believe. This is on our old Bobcat 953 which has 17" wheels.

thanks for the input:usa I ordered a new rim ,, going to ck the torque on the others,,, 250ft/lbs seems high , all ive ever done is impact them with the 3/4 drive and never had issues, this is a 2007 with 180hrs ,machine is new to me 15 hrs ago, any idea what case calls for on the torque???? :drinkup

miro

If you've been putting the studs on with a 3/4 gun, you've probably stretched the studs, they should be replaces because they'll keep stretching until they break.