• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loss of talent

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The only time these kids put down there phone or game controller is to pick up a joint or hold their hand out. Y'all are 100% dead nuts on the money. They don't want to work, they don't want to get dirty and they damn sure dont want to be out of cell phone range. I cant work in the heat, cant work in the cold or the rain or the sun. Theres always a reason. And every sentence begins with ,"I can't." I said that once when young dumb and full a cum to a senior. He looked at me and said ok. Go pack yer **** and get out. I said wait. Im not saying I won't, i just dont know how, he said, "oh, thats different, I'll show ya. Don't ever tell me you cant." And I never did again. Lots of respect for that ol man

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I'm so thankful for the way I was raised, I was homeschooled from grade 3 until 9, then finished at an alternate school, I got a good education without any of the distractions associated with public schools.

My parents had a home business, dad was a custom furniture maker, I was an legal employee for their business at the age of 12, I only needed 2 hours per day to complete my schooling and worked with my dad the rest of the day. Also made coffee and lunch when mom was out working her second job, which taught me how to cook!

We never had much money but had lots of old cars/equipment to tune my skills from an early age. I was able to acquire tools and toys with my own money which felt great, got my first real dirt bike at 14, a basket case YZ250, spent the winter rebuilding the engine and fixing it up. I realized I liked wrenching more than woodwork and my dad had hired a skilled worker as he wasn't about to stick me on the table saw day after day. We had a 5ton hiab truck that we took for inspection at a local truck shop, I asked the owner and got hired on the spot as a shop helper, rode my 250 to work on logging roads as I wasn't old enough to get a driver's license and didn't want to put my parents out.

I paid $300 per month room and board to my parents, still did all the chores and pitched in for groceries.

I was able to save up and rent my own place at 18

It all worked out pretty well for me, have my own piece of land and equipment etc. It's all paid for and I'm debt free at 33. (Hey that rhymes!)

My older brother has the complete opposite work ethic, still lives with mom at 35 (which actually worked out good since my dad passed) he pays his way doing online work which is OK, atleast he's not a moocher!!

I always found it strange as we had the same up bringing but he attended public school..

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've seen this with my kids and their various generations, age range for mine is 18 to 3. We're lucky around here. Still have votech, schools are still good and not too PC. FFA is going strong as well. Gives me a little hope. I don't have to go very far away to lose that hopeful feeling. I run into very similar situations as mentioned above. We have guys come in to work as ground hands, starting at scale wage which is $20.89. Full benefits after the qualification period. Vested pension at 5 years. Excellent package. They don't see the value in it. How in the hell can they not?

Is it schools? None of my kids have had any sort of financial literacy stuff that I'm aware of. They learn that at home, at least mine do. I've read some really interesting and disturbing articles on the affects of social media on self esteem, social skills etc and it makes me want to take their phones away.

There will be a vacuum for skilled labor no doubt. What happens to fill it or replace that pool is anybody's guess. I am so fortunate my kids have drive and are self motivated. They have their teenage issues yes but they know it takes work to get the things in life we need. I'm hoping they also understand that monetary things don't make up the value of a person.

As far as cars etc. Spot on, planned obsolescence as well as inflating prices beyond the average person's ability to pay in cash. Who'd have thought a new SUV would or could be $70,000? Blows me away. A car payment has become an accepted norm. People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them I don't have a payment. Won't have one. Instant gratification and a 30 second approval process will be the financial death of many a man or woman. I learned that the hard way myself!

I could go on and on! Makes me physically sick to think about some of this stuff. The future of our country could be riding on those fubar'd kids.....their fubar'd parents need a swift kick in the sack! Grrrr

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
So true about lack of financial planning taught in schools. I graduated almost 10 years ago and even back then they didn't teach anything more than how to write out a budget. I honestly think I'm the only one in my grad class who knew how to write a cheque properly. (who uses cheques these days now anyways?)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
What's a cheque? :p Ohhh you mean check! Lol. I use cash, green money. Carry a company credit card. That's it.

My kids see other people with new cars, big houses etc and they ask why we don't have stuff like that. Don't get me wrong we have nice things just not the latest and greatest. I tell them those people have credit and a monthly payment. That's not wealth and what do they do if something happens? Lose it all when their savings runs out, IF they even have any!

It amazes me the things my boys pick up on even at 7&3. There might be hope for the country if they have any say in it! My youngest will be a ball buster. Kick a$$ and take names. I guess four older siblings will do that to a feller!

td25c

Still carry checkbook in hand & cash in the pocket .

Stores are happy with either one in my area .

On a good note at least the new chick at the grocery store needs my date of birth when buying barley soda . I must look younger then I feel . LOL !

I'm old enough to be your papaw ...... And give me the receipt for the barley soda ! it's a business expense . :D

catwelder

Occupation
welder
since i do think I'm probally younger then most of yall and am a millennial I did go to college twice pain in the ass the second time around my first time was for welding then second was for business administration. ive had three jobs Walmart for a short period of time a log mill and then caterpillar twice. the problem with us finding a job is you either need experience or a education or both but no one wants to hire an 18 year old because no experience in the fields when you do try to get into the field its a basic you might can do this in two years. two years is a long time for a pay raise when your only making 10 dollars an hour or for one job I went to work for the pay was 9 dollars an hour with a good hour drive. no one likes to give chances anymore to anyone because everything cost so much if your a laborer here you may be a laborer for two years before they even consider putting you in something. its hard to be wanna work for certain companies when you pay want go up until you actually move into something.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I think if you checked with all of us over fifty you will find that we all went through the same thing. I hope you are making a little fun but what you are describing and showing in your post is exactly what we are talking about:)

Knepptune

I wasn't taught much at all about money, school or home. Fun experience learning all that. Absolutely ridiculous theres not an entire semester on personal finance.

That lack of financial sense in society blows my mind.

On a side note, millenials on average save more then then the previous generation did at our age. So there is some hope.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
I think if you checked with all of us over fifty you will find that we all went through the same thing. I hope you are making a little fun but what you are describing and showing in your post is exactly what we are talking about:)
only good thing about having no experience at 18 doing anything is no matter what your job is you gain experience I do wish people would give everyone a shot if its reasonable at least

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My first real mechanic job I cleaned the $hitter every morning. On occasion the owner who was quite OCD did all but a white glove inspection. It never bothered me. I think I made 9 or 9.50. That's been 20 years ago. I think there are many reasons or combination of reasons for the sense of entitlement many kids have. I read an article that blamed it on the baby boomers. So it's my old mans fault! Seriously, it was a well researched article that explained the affects of WWII and how they lived life after the war. It was a good read for sure.

Truck Shop

My last entry on this subject. Not everything is about you and where your going or getting ahead of the eight ball. In every job I've had people that were depending on me.
I look at my job as a responsibility to take care of problems no matter what time of day. That's all part of talent and don't expect a bunch of congratulations or pay raise
every time you think your a hero or did something heroic.

Truck Shop

Welder Dave

My dad always said to do the best job you could the first time and don't quit a job unless you have another one to go to. I haven't always followed the 2nd piece of advice. You pi-- me off or don't show me respect and don't be surprised when I leave. The last couple of jobs I was lucky they came up when I was looking. Had the job I was at been better I wouldn't have had reason to be looking. My dad was always more than willing to share his knowledge and I try to do the same thing. If I don't know I'll say I don't know instead spewing a bunch of BS. I consider it a compliment if someone is asking me for advice. I can't stand people who are so insecure they figure you're going to take their job if they help you out.

check

I wasn't taught much at all about money, school or home. Fun experience learning all that. Absolutely ridiculous theres not an entire semester on personal finance.

That lack of financial sense in society blows my mind.
Cui bono?

If people were taught financial sense in Schools, it would cost banksters trillions of dollars in interest on loans they issue out of thin air.
I guarantee that they don't want us to understand how the so-called Federal Reserve works.
Borrow, eat, sleep, watch teevee, obey, borrow, work, pay, work, borrow, pay.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I've seen this with my kids and their various generations, age range for mine is 18 to 3. We're lucky around here. Still have votech, schools are still good and not too PC. FFA is going strong as well. Gives me a little hope. I don't have to go very far away to lose that hopeful feeling. I run into very similar situations as mentioned above. We have guys come in to work as ground hands, starting at scale wage which is $20.89. Full benefits after the qualification period. Vested pension at 5 years. Excellent package. They don't see the value in it. How in the hell can they not?

Is it schools? None of my kids have had any sort of financial literacy stuff that I'm aware of. They learn that at home, at least mine do. I've read some really interesting and disturbing articles on the affects of social media on self esteem, social skills etc and it makes me want to take their phones away.

There will be a vacuum for skilled labor no doubt. What happens to fill it or replace that pool is anybody's guess. I am so fortunate my kids have drive and are self motivated. They have their teenage issues yes but they know it takes work to get the things in life we need. I'm hoping they also understand that monetary things don't make up the value of a person.

As far as cars etc. Spot on, planned obsolescence as well as inflating prices beyond the average person's ability to pay in cash. Who'd have thought a new SUV would or could be $70,000? Blows me away. A car payment has become an accepted norm. People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them I don't have a payment. Won't have one. Instant gratification and a 30 second approval process will be the financial death of many a man or woman. I learned that the hard way myself!

I could go on and on! Makes me physically sick to think about some of this stuff. The future of our country could be riding on those fubar'd kids.....their fubar'd parents need a swift kick in the sack! Grrrr

only good thing about having no experience at 18 doing anything is no matter what your job is you gain experience I do wish people would give everyone a shot if its reasonable at least
I dont think anybody disputes the fact that it's a bitch getting your foot in the door. What most of us are complaining about, is the kids who get the opportunity. 9 out of 10 lazy, shiftless bastards who are a family friend or relative or some crap. They get in and prove what a waste of oxygen they are. Catwelder, iI get what yer sayin. Its these entitled 90% setting a bad mold for you. When i wanted to work somewhere, I was there at 5:30 waiting for the boss/owner to show up. I'd ride his ass til he'd give me a chance or call the police. Then once I'd earned that position, it was on me to prove he was right to give me a chance.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
I dont think anybody disputes the fact that it's a bitch getting your foot in the door. What most of us are complaining about, is the kids who get the opportunity. 9 out of 10 lazy, shiftless bastards who are a family friend or relative or some crap. They get in and prove what a waste of oxygen they are. Catwelder, iI get what yer sayin. Its these entitled 90% setting a bad mold for you. When i wanted to work somewhere, I was there at 5:30 waiting for the boss/owner to show up. I'd ride his ass til he'd give me a chance or call the police. Then once I'd earned that position, it was on me to prove he was right to give me a chance.
i applied to one place three times third time said the with it want hire me screw it I went to one interview where I was there before the owner and then his office person got there and then gonna ask me do I still want the interview had been waiting for an hour just for the boss to get there biggest waste of time ive ever went through in my life