• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loose Quick Attach

DirtyHoe

You would not take too much out with the reamer. Just enough to get a round hole, then install a larger pin like Diydave said.
Drills don't do well on existing egged holes. Also they have a hard time staying on location, finished hole size can vary, not to mention a poor surface finish.

Steve

03hdrk

I have a Case 580 backhoe that has pins on the bucket that move but have no way to grease. When dealing with the dealer, we could not find anything any different in the parts list. To me this is poor engineering. If a pin is not locked in place in its hole, it should be able to be greased. And I mean LOCKED in place. On our Gehl the Quick attach pins are greaseable in their bushings. and if you don't grease them they will bind, yet they don't spin, they just have a linear force placed on them with every push or back drag. They are proof that just because a pin doesn't turn in its hole, does not mean it does need grease. On our injection molding machines were I used to work, there were pins used like this. They had almost no force on them during the movement of the cylinder but held a large amount of pressure stationary on every cycle - sometimes cycling every 15 seconds 24 hours a day for weeks. They would were out if you did not grease them.
I'll get off my box for now.
You might consider have the pins drilled in such a way that you could grease the area that is wearing. I have actually done this with a half inch drill to make a hole in the center of the pin and using a v block from Horrible Freight, drill a cross hole. Drill and tap for a grease zerk.

DirtyHoe

03hdrk,
You bring up a good point on the 580. I have a 580C and noticed the same thing. All of the bucket linkage pins are dry with no grease zirks. I would like to know why since the rotate as much as other pins that are greasable.

Steve

check

Attachments fall off my 246 regularly. Heating, hammering and welding to take up the slop I can understand, but why do the pins retract when I curl down? I can see it plain as day and it seems to be designed to do just that. The taper on the ends of the pins force the pins up when there is a side load on them. How to fix?

pajibson

I used an adjustable reamer on a bronze bushing to remove a couple thousands once...this wouldn't be much more than that right? LOL. I think it would take forever to ream enough to accept a bushing. Im sure it can be done, but I'll live with it before I go through that. You think a mag drill would work? Mainly the issue I think would be if I have enough depth to bore through both holes? I could finish with a hand reamer if necessary.

I used a mag drill and the appropriate sized annular cutter once to resize the bottom bores on a cat MTL once. rigged up an alignment jig with some plumbing fittings, & a length of pipe. It wasnt pretty but it seems to have worked. that was 2 years ago and the machine hasnt worn out the new bushings yet.

check

Attachments fall off my 246 regularly. Heating, hammering and welding to take up the slop I can understand, but why do the pins retract when I curl down? I can see it plain as day and it seems to be designed to do just that. The taper on the ends of the pins force the pins up when there is a side load on them. How to fix?
Fixed it so I'll answer my own question in case it helps anyone.
When the slot in the bottom of the attachment wears, it allows the pin to drop lower which means less spring tension. After I welded the slots back up to original size, the pins have the correct tension and the attachment stays put.

BC873G

Check, I am curious how you welded the slots back up? A few more details would be appreciated or a picture. Thanks.

check

Check, I am curious how you welded the slots back up? A few more details would be appreciated or a picture. Thanks.
Where the pin goes in, the slot on the attachment usually wears a groove on the back (machine side). I just welded a few passes with 7018 to fill the groove and ground it to match the rest. One thing I need to mention is that the springs on the pins are almost bottomed out when you have the correct tension, IMHO.