• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to get into a skid

Brews4me

Hi folks, as the title suggests, i'm heading toward getting a skid for home/ranch use. My place is around 8000 feet so enclosed is a must, will use for barn and such, and also city when i get the need to work at parents or friends.
I'm a newb so please bear with my basic questions! I've read through a lot of threads and see lots of great info.

Some basic questions that seem to throw me off is:
What does "Auxiliary Hydraulics" mean and what are the benefits??
What is a strong unit, versatile and lasts?
Are all the skids about the same width with tires?? I have a few places where the width is limited to get into? I assume smaller units (narrow) are less powerful?
Do some of the units have longer/teller reaches like say an extend-a-hoe??
Does the trac unit have more or less maint?
What's the most common issues/problems with used loaders?
Are they 2 or 4 wheel drive?

My price range is about the 20K level.
I have a Deere 310 SG that can do my post holes with aux.

Thanks much!
Jim

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

What does "Auxiliary Hydraulics" mean and what are the benefits?? - It's external hydraulics used to operate attachments that give the skid loader so much versitility other than just moving dirt. There are possibly hundreds of attachments. Some attachments use hydraulics to do some form of work, like operate the attachment's hydraulics or a hydraulic motor. Common attachments are: Post hole digger (auger), Snow blower, snow plow (with angle rams), concrete breaker, sidewalk sweeper, backhoe attachment, grapple bucket ...and so many others. Many attachments are available for people to rent for a day, or purchase. There is a good chance you would rent some attachment in the future.

Only the smallest and 80's skid loaders *don't* have auxillary hydraulics, the big thing is if a skid loader has high-flow hydraulics, or regular flow hydraulics. For most attachments, regular flow hydraulics (14-20 gpm) are sufficient for most commonly used attachments, but some items really call for high flow hydraulics like snow blowers (although 'some' can work with standard flow' hydraulics), stump grinders, and some construction attachments.

What is a strong unit, versatile and lasts? - A *Strong* unit depends on what you want/need to do. A strong unit for a homeowner might be in the 50-60hp range, and a strong unit for a contractor might be 90hp. Bigger isn't always better because larger means larger trailers, trucks, more difficult to get into tight spaces, but sometimes bigger is the only way to go, just depends on what your needs are. I guess if you already have a backhoe, maybe going towards smaller makes more sense for you?? My dad has a very small skid loader that can fit through a standard doorway and it the cat's whiskers for doing work inside a barn and in pens, where it would be impossible to get a medium-sized loader. But cleafing snow from a large driveway is a total PITA! Even small loaders can do a surprising amount of work. Many homeowners I know seem to land in a unit in the 40-60hp range. Make a list of tasks you think you would do with a skid loader most often, then items you might want to do once in a while and where you could use the backhoe if you needed. How big is your truck/trailer? There are so many different skid loaders out there, I would just start looking at them and ask dealers for a test drive. Popular names are: Bobcat, Case, Gehl, New Holland, John Deere and a whole bunch of others, but I'm sure you see them all the time.

Are all the skids about the same width with tires?? I have a few places where the width is limited to get into? I assume smaller units (narrow) are less powerful? - That's right, smaller is less powerful. But depending on what you want to do, smaller can be better, power isn't always everything ....smaller bobcats can do a lot of work and get into a lot of places. What width are you talking about? Figure out what you think you will do most often. As for tires, no, there are wide machines with narrow ones and you can put narrower tires on wide machines, depending on your needs, but it reduces traction obviously, and can sink into dirt (lawns) more readily. But if you are working on Concrete, that might be ok. Skid loaders are heavy machines and with new construction style tires, they can really tear up a lawn, sometimes it's beneficial to put wider tires (with smooth tread) on a skid loader. Then there are track machines too which provide great traction and flotation. But in some cases that's not 'ideal' either. A skid loader like a Bobcat 753 or S130 seem to be nice middle of the road sized machines which are popular with home owners and hobby farms.

- Radial lift machines have a longer reach at half-lift than do vertical lift machines. But vertical lift machines have a longer reach at full lift. So if you were loading a pick-up truck, a radial lift machine would give a longer reach, but if you were loading a dump truck, then the vertical lift would give a little longer reach. I personally don't know of any that have hydraulic extendable reaches like an extend-a-hoe ...maybe someone else here does. Most guys would probably use a longer bucket, or longer forks (or fork slippers) ...if you are loading 'things'. You can buy a jib arm if you wanted to do something like raise trusses and things like that.

Does the trac unit have more or less maint? - The general concensus is that track machines exhibit more 'expensive' wear once they get to 2000- 2500 hours just because there are gears and tracks, rollers and so on which can wear out. There are more parts there to go wrong than just 4 wheels on a wheeled machine. But again, that all depends on maintenance and use. A track machine used in muck for forestry is different than a guy who keeps his machine maticulously clean and uses it for occasion lawn leveling. Nowadays, there are more aftermarket suppliers that have new/reconditioned tracks and it has helped bring costs down.

What's the most common issues/problems with used loaders? - Just like with a car, maintenance and usage conditions affect lifespan. There are some good Youtube videos on things to look for buying a used skid loader, I would start there. Owning a skid steer can be expensive if you plan to take it to a dealer for repairs. If you can do work on them, they are pretty easy to work on. Common issues are: Hydraulic leaks, pump issues, bearing issues, etc. Most skid loaders are built pretty tough. If you start looking at a bunch of them, you'll start to see things you like and don't like. Just tell the sales guy you don't know a lot and they will tell you things you need to know..

Are they 2 or 4 wheel drive? - Skid steers are 4 wheel drive, most have a single hydraulic drive motor on each side that drives a chain and the wheels on each side are ganged together by a chain. The wheels on each side move the same therefore to turn the tires need to 'skid' (hence the name). Each motor is controlled by hydraulically or electro-hydraulically. Track machines have a single motor on each side.

Other considerations - Some considerations you didn't mention but worth considering: If you are working in hilly areas, longer wheel-base machines can be more stable. My neighbor lives on a hill and he needed a longer machine to keep from tipping. But then you sacrifice a little bit of maneuverability. Some guys like hand-only controls, some guys like hand/foot controls. Older units will have hydraulic controls, newer machines will have a form of electronic or electronic/hydraulic controls. Seems like the industry is moving towards hands-only controls. Most guys I know who have driven a lot of skid loaders say they all work ok, it's just what you're most used to, so, again, test drive several. Newer machines can let you select different control patterns. Cabs - If you live in CO, you may want to look for a machine with a heated (and cooled?) cab. Nothing more miserable than sitting in a cold metal skid loader cab in below zero temps!! Some units seem to offer better side visibility (Gehl) ...and cab-forward style.

If you have $20k to spend, you have a lot of options to get a really good machine with low hours. Shop around, take your time. Best of luck!!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Wow!! Jeepwalker gave you a very thorough answer!!

One thing I can add is if you're looking at used machines then hose condition can be a concern. Machines that are 10 years old will start to have hoses blow and they can be expensive to replace. Bear this in mind when you're shopping, if the outer rubber casing of the hoses are cracking or showing signs of dry rot then figure replacing them into the price of the machine.

Brews4me

What does "Auxiliary Hydraulics" mean and what are the benefits?? - It's external hydraulics used to operate attachments that give the skid loader so much versitility other than just moving dirt. There are possibly hundreds of attachments. Some attachments use hydraulics to do some form of work, like operate the attachment's hydraulics or a hydraulic motor. Common attachments are: Post hole digger (auger), Snow blower, snow plow (with angle rams), concrete breaker, sidewalk sweeper, backhoe attachment, grapple bucket ...and so many others. Many attachments are available for people to rent for a day, or purchase. There is a good chance you would rent some attachment in the future.

Only the smallest and 80's skid loaders *don't* have auxillary hydraulics, the big thing is if a skid loader has high-flow hydraulics, or regular flow hydraulics. For most attachments, regular flow hydraulics (14-20 gpm) are sufficient for most commonly used attachments, but some items really call for high flow hydraulics like snow blowers (although 'some' can work with standard flow' hydraulics), stump grinders, and some construction attachments.

What is a strong unit, versatile and lasts? - A *Strong* unit depends on what you want/need to do. A strong unit for a homeowner might be in the 50-60hp range, and a strong unit for a contractor might be 90hp. Bigger isn't always better because larger means larger trailers, trucks, more difficult to get into tight spaces, but sometimes bigger is the only way to go, just depends on what your needs are. I guess if you already have a backhoe, maybe going towards smaller makes more sense for you?? My dad has a very small skid loader that can fit through a standard doorway and it the cat's whiskers for doing work inside a barn and in pens, where it would be impossible to get a medium-sized loader. But cleafing snow from a large driveway is a total PITA! Even small loaders can do a surprising amount of work. Many homeowners I know seem to land in a unit in the 40-60hp range. Make a list of tasks you think you would do with a skid loader most often, then items you might want to do once in a while and where you could use the backhoe if you needed. How big is your truck/trailer? There are so many different skid loaders out there, I would just start looking at them and ask dealers for a test drive. Popular names are: Bobcat, Case, Gehl, New Holland, John Deere and a whole bunch of others, but I'm sure you see them all the time.

Are all the skids about the same width with tires?? I have a few places where the width is limited to get into? I assume smaller units (narrow) are less powerful? - That's right, smaller is less powerful. But depending on what you want to do, smaller can be better, power isn't always everything ....smaller bobcats can do a lot of work and get into a lot of places. What width are you talking about? Figure out what you think you will do most often. As for tires, no, there are wide machines with narrow ones and you can put narrower tires on wide machines, depending on your needs, but it reduces traction obviously, and can sink into dirt (lawns) more readily. But if you are working on Concrete, that might be ok. Skid loaders are heavy machines and with new construction style tires, they can really tear up a lawn, sometimes it's beneficial to put wider tires (with smooth tread) on a skid loader. Then there are track machines too which provide great traction and flotation. But in some cases that's not 'ideal' either. A skid loader like a Bobcat 753 or S130 seem to be nice middle of the road sized machines which are popular with home owners and hobby farms.

- Radial lift machines have a longer reach at half-lift than do vertical lift machines. But vertical lift machines have a longer reach at full lift. So if you were loading a pick-up truck, a radial lift machine would give a longer reach, but if you were loading a dump truck, then the vertical lift would give a little longer reach. I personally don't know of any that have hydraulic extendable reaches like an extend-a-hoe ...maybe someone else here does. Most guys would probably use a longer bucket, or longer forks (or fork slippers) ...if you are loading 'things'. You can buy a jib arm if you wanted to do something like raise trusses and things like that.

Does the trac unit have more or less maint? - The general concensus is that track machines exhibit more 'expensive' wear once they get to 2000- 2500 hours just because there are gears and tracks, rollers and so on which can wear out. There are more parts there to go wrong than just 4 wheels on a wheeled machine. But again, that all depends on maintenance and use. A track machine used in muck for forestry is different than a guy who keeps his machine maticulously clean and uses it for occasion lawn leveling. Nowadays, there are more aftermarket suppliers that have new/reconditioned tracks and it has helped bring costs down.

What's the most common issues/problems with used loaders? - Just like with a car, maintenance and usage conditions affect lifespan. There are some good Youtube videos on things to look for buying a used skid loader, I would start there. Owning a skid steer can be expensive if you plan to take it to a dealer for repairs. If you can do work on them, they are pretty easy to work on. Common issues are: Hydraulic leaks, pump issues, bearing issues, etc. Most skid loaders are built pretty tough. If you start looking at a bunch of them, you'll start to see things you like and don't like. Just tell the sales guy you don't know a lot and they will tell you things you need to know..

Are they 2 or 4 wheel drive? - Skid steers are 4 wheel drive, most have a single hydraulic drive motor on each side that drives a chain and the wheels on each side are ganged together by a chain. The wheels on each side move the same therefore to turn the tires need to 'skid' (hence the name). Each motor is controlled by hydraulically or electro-hydraulically. Track machines have a single motor on each side.

Other considerations - Some considerations you didn't mention but worth considering: If you are working in hilly areas, longer wheel-base machines can be more stable. My neighbor lives on a hill and he needed a longer machine to keep from tipping. But then you sacrifice a little bit of maneuverability. Some guys like hand-only controls, some guys like hand/foot controls. Older units will have hydraulic controls, newer machines will have a form of electronic or electronic/hydraulic controls. Seems like the industry is moving towards hands-only controls. Most guys I know who have driven a lot of skid loaders say they all work ok, it's just what you're most used to, so, again, test drive several. Newer machines can let you select different control patterns. Cabs - If you live in CO, you may want to look for a machine with a heated (and cooled?) cab. Nothing more miserable than sitting in a cold metal skid loader cab in below zero temps!! Some units seem to offer better side visibility (Gehl) ...and cab-forward style.

If you have $20k to spend, you have a lot of options to get a really good machine with low hours. Shop around, take your time. Best of luck!!

awesome!

Rentalstop

Yup. Jeepwalker covered your questions. My suggestion on a machine in your price range would be a Bobcat S185 or S205. The S185 was the best selling mid size skid for a decade, early 2000s until 2012 I think. The S205 has more hp same machine. Bobcat S160 is radial lift version. Definitely go with cab and hvac. Bobcat ran kubota engines in these. Width is around 68 inches. Should be able to find one with under 1000 hours in your price range. Until recently Bobcat had built more skid steers than all other brands combined. Jmho

Brews4me

Wow!! Jeepwalker gave you a very thorough answer!!

One thing I can add is if you're looking at used machines then hose condition can be a concern. Machines that are 10 years old will start to have hoses blow and they can be expensive to replace. Bear this in mind when you're shopping, if the outer rubber casing of the hoses are cracking or showing signs of dry rot then figure replacing them into the price of the machine.

thanks much

Swannny

Too bad used skid steers are generally more expensive in your state than they are in other areas of the country. Here's an article on buying used you might find helpful:

http://www.totallandscapecare.com/how-to-inspect-a-used-skid-steer/

Ken Lebherz of Accurate Machinery LLC (good guy) has a couple comprehensive/helpful articles about his experience in buying used machinery that you can search for on the web.

Brews4me

OK folks, i started to narrow my needs down. I think my big 310 Deere hoe is going to fill my larger needs (has auger), think i'm in the mode of a smaller/shorter/narrower machine for yard work in the city and barn work in the country. Found a Bobcat dealer and looked at a S70 (used to be a 463???), they say don't go 36 inch, they blow over in the wind. Try to get the 44 wide unit!
Questions:
What are other similar sized units and model/brands I should compare to Bobcat??
Can the S70 or others do tracks?
Good brands/bad brands?
What HP is best?
Things I don't know to ask???

Thanks again, you folks rock!!!!

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Look at the smaller units here: http://www.gehl.com/equipment/

I don't know about tipping over in the wind, more critical would probably be stability on slopes. I guess if you stick to the front range and stay out of the mountains yer ok.

ASV had some smaller track machines. I'm not as familiar with them though..

ylekyote

I've only owned one but have operated 3 different types. Personally I'd never buy a wheeled skid. The bigger wheeled machines I've operated were weaker and unstable than their tracked equivalents.

I'd look for a compact track loader. It has best punch and stability for buck.

I bought a 2006 New Holland LT185.b with 2,000 hours for $19,000. It's a 72hp 9,800 lb tank. I've had a blast with it. I've seen 2005/6 models with similar hours selling for $18-25k online.

I go to the dealers with cash, flash it, and they will take nearly wholesale for them if done with tact.

The tracks are more expensive but last longer and work better in most situations where hard work is required. They usually have a little lower belly clearance, but only around 2". What they lack in belly clearance they more than makeup in plain force.

I've built 2 dams, 8 ponds, and a garden with mine. My neighbor can hardly keep her wheeled machine from getting stuck during mud and slush seasons.

ylekyote

That's allsum you're in Aguilar CO! We looked at a ranch there but ended up a few miles from Rifle, CO after that deal fell through. If you have irrigation or any wet dirt conditions a tracked machine is likely for you.

Jeepwalker

Maybe an ASV RC30 (small track machine) is in the size-range you're looking for???

Brews4me

The soil around our place is slicker than snot! Clay and lots of water. Was wanting a track but sure could use it to be 3 feet wide by 6 feet tall!
I put tracks on one of my ATVs and what a monster that turned into, will go anyplace summer or winter!

Yes, my family has had a place near Aguilar for 100+ years.
Like Rifle area also but truly different climate!

Last edited:

Brews4me

that RC30 does look sweet for my initial needs, not seeing many in CO!

Maybe have to have 2 and make sure the wife likes the smaller unit? LOL

Last edited:

Glen Bell

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator at a coal mine
OK folks, i started to narrow my needs down. I think my big 310 Deere hoe is going to fill my larger needs (has auger), think i'm in the mode of a smaller/shorter/narrower machine for yard work in the city and barn work in the country. Found a Bobcat dealer and looked at a S70 (used to be a 463???), they say don't go 36 inch, they blow over in the wind. Try to get the 44 wide unit!
Questions:
What are other similar sized units and model/brands I should compare to Bobcat??
Can the S70 or others do tracks?
Good brands/bad brands?
What HP is best?
Things I don't know to ask???

Thanks again, you folks rock!!!!

I own a caterpillar 216b which is the smallest one that Cat makes. I've had it for 8 or 9 years, does everything I've ever asked of it. 59 inches wide, about 5600 lbs, rated capacity of around 1400lb I think, nice roomy cab, mine has enclosed cab with heat. I love it, paid 15 grand for it when it around 4 yrs old, had just under 1000 hrs on it then. At work we have an S70, I'm a bigger guy (240 lbs), I have to wear that little machine like a scuba diving suit. I don't get it in - I put it on. Hate the foot controls, hate the lap bar that I have to duck under and suck in to get underneath. Tippy, rough riding, bad visibility. I almost never use it which is good, because 30 minutes or so is all my big frame can take in that little thing. The S series rated capacity just add a zero for max lift so the S70 is 700 lbs. Better than a shovel but you better be a small guy if you want to spend a decent amount of time in it. Just a comparison opinion on smallest machines offered by two manufacturers from someone who has used both.

ps: I considered tracked machines and wheeled while deciding as well, replacement cost was deciding factor for me, doing 50/50 dirt work and pavement work. 500 bucks for a set of tires vs 5000 for a set of tracks.

Last edited:

Swannny

I'd stay away from the ASV 30's unless you like working on them or absolutely need them for making $. You can also look at the gehl 3635 or 3640 series. They are small but make good power, are productive for their size, and have around a 9' pin height when raised. I really liked the one I had.

gehl baby.jpg

Brews4me

What do folks think of the Terex PT30?? How is ASV RC30 and the Terex PT30 different, same company it sounds???
I need to stay around 4 feet and under in width and the track seems like the right choice.

Can these get enclosed?

Are they bigger than the S70 for a big boned guy???

Damn, there's a lot of these thing's out there but I need to sort by width for my storage area. I'm finding a lot of larger units.

Last edited:

Swannny

I've had a half dozen or so of the asv rc30's and pt30's, and don't think there's much improvement between the two. Google "rc30 pt30" as their are some good discussions about it.

When terex bought them out - the 30series was still problematic. Vibration and cab noise. They can't seem to build quality-wise like takeuchi can.

Check out the latest Terex that took over: https://nashville.craigslist.org/hvd/5537080107.html I know nothing about them, but doubt they've solved much.

one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Terex-...046420?hash=item3f638bce94:g:V7QAAOSwYmZXMj61

Last edited:

Brews4me

Swannnnnnny-
I see your comments but i think this is the only game in town other than the S70????
You must have had 6 due to size restrictions?
I really don't like the comments about the wheel wear on the back of the wheels, that really seems like a bad design on the PT30.

Last edited: