• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy D8T

ippielb

My employer is selling the two old D8T's that we have replaced, they were government owned since new, regular maintenance. Both units have new motor's and transmissions less then 5000 hours ago. Their job was to push garbage at the the landfill, so not really a tough life. Curious on what people think these things will go for.

I have a couple videos of the one unit.

http://youtu.be/VD2RZrFkodI?t=2m18s
http://youtu.be/05t4N8_u2ds?t=6m27s

Here's some pictures.

Unit #1 (motor and transmission redone in last 5000 hours)
1%20(1).JPG

4.JPG

small007.JPG

th_lot635%20(8).JPG

Unit #2 (low hour undercairrage motor and transmission redone in last 5000 hours)
http://mcdougallbay.com/images/repo...8CB-8CDA-DE4B81F26020}/2014/th_lot636 (5).JPG
http://mcdougallbay.com/images/repo...8CB-8CDA-DE4B81F26020}/2014/th_lot636 (4).JPG
http://mcdougallbay.com/images/repo...CB-8CDA-DE4B81F26020}/2014/th_lot636 (18).JPG
http://mcdougallbay.com/images/repository/{77C9E9D7-2F27-48CB-8CDA-DE4B81F26020}/2014/small001.JPG

ippielb

PM me. Im interested.

Haha get in line. I'm in the same boat as you, I want to buy one myself. I'm curious to know what they would go for. I have operated one of the dozers before. It's tight all around, new heater core. Webasto heater, new undercarriage, motor and transmission, cutting edges are fairly new. The other one was just at the landfill it's entire lifetime. Don't know much about it but I know the guys who've operated it.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
One thing about an auction. The value it has on that day will come out. Since internet bidding it is a lot harder to find a sweet bargain on a auction.

ippielb

Yes that is the problem. That's why I'm looking at the going price. Probably more then I'm wanting to spend but hey worth a try not many d8's around my area could make a quick buck doing jobs around.

MJHeavy

Banned
Occupation
Technican
What landfill did they come out of?
Who did the repairs?

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A little odd not having rippers. Down here the waste handlers have striker bars and multi-shank rippers. Most places I have seen also swap out the trash pads. I'm also wondering why they weren't taken as trade in units. In this state there would be a substantial tax advantage. It would be tough to guess what they would go for in Canada. An auction probably isn't the place where you would get the best return on the sale but on the same thought a government agency usually isn't concerned about making a good deal for the tax payer.

big ben

A little odd not having rippers. Down here the waste handlers have striker bars and multi-shank rippers. Most places I have seen also swap out the trash pads. I'm also wondering why they weren't taken as trade in units. In this state there would be a substantial tax advantage. It would be tough to guess what they would go for in Canada. An auction probably isn't the place where you would get the best return on the sale but on the same thought a government agency usually isn't concerned about making a good deal for the tax payer.

Why would a trash machine ever need a ripper ? Do some use them to prep the ground as the dump expands ?

I have never seen a garbage machine with a ripper up here and if they do come with them they are removed and sold as a new take off before the machine ever hits the landfill and a counterweight added to rebalance the machine.

MJHeavy

Banned
Occupation
Technican
A ripper makes it a lot easier to jack up a machine for undercarriage work :)

ippielb

Came out of the landfill for the city. Kramer the local Cat dealer did the repairs. The only thing our mechanics do is little things, everything else gets sent off always.

Rippers aren't needed in our landfill. We have traded in almost all our other equipment, went and purchased new ones in the fall of last year, these have sat, Unit #1 since the December, and Unit #2 since April.

Yes, they aren't really concerned about getting their money back, the bid is already past what my division has paid for them.

We used unit #2 to push snow during the winter time. The year before we rented one that had a ripper on it, and it was a pain to use, way too heavy in the back it would just dig itself down.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Should have rented a LGP for the snow.

I am at a loss trying to figure out how a LGP would be an advantage for snowplowing unless you are plowing snow off soft ground. Sounds like the snowplowing takes place on the garbage pile, same stuff they always run on. Just curious what the theory is behind it.

ippielb

I am at a loss trying to figure out how a LGP would be an advantage for snowplowing unless you are plowing snow off soft ground. Sounds like the snowplowing takes place on the garbage pile, same stuff they always run on. Just curious what the theory is behind it.

This was at our snow dump, its where all the snow goes in winter removed from the city. If you've every pushed snow that came through a snow blower you'd realize that having wider tracks would help for floatation. Last year we had not much for snowfall and the ramps were reaching 90 feet of snow.

MJHeavy

Banned
Occupation
Technican
Im at a loss trying to figure out if you know what LGP stands for. The theory behind it is for more floatation. Same exact concept behind using a LGP in a landfill.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The issue with rippers is that construction and mining people want them. Since yours doesn't have them, you limit the number of markets that would pay more. Not many people down here would want a crawler of that size without the ripper.

Down here all the land fills have to cover with soil every night. They do that by making a borrow pit next to the land fill. Most use scrapers and the D8 or D9s will rip for easier loading of the scrapers. The two big counties I work around down here always load their machines up with every option you can imagine.

ippielb

The issue with rippers is that construction and mining people want them. Since yours doesn't have them, you limit the number of markets that would pay more. Not many people down here would want a crawler of that size without the ripper.

Down here all the land fills have to cover with soil every night. They do that by making a borrow pit next to the land fill. Most use scrapers and the D8 or D9s will rip for easier loading of the scrapers. The two big counties I work around down here always load their machines up with every option you can imagine.

These are set up for rippers and have the plumbing. Just need to put one on it. There's a few outfits here that make rippers for cats. Personally all I would want is one large shank maybe to put in some tile to drain sloughs in fields as well.

big ben

Am I seeing things or is there only one bolt holdong a sprocket segment on on unit #1, and a bolt halfway out on the next segment up?

Well the segments look like they are just about done so I guess they are just helping the new owner by have less bolts to deal with to change them out ! :)

Unless they have been welded together thats impressive that the 1 segment only has 1 bolt left !