• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking HARD at purchasing a 100T portable track pin press......anybody use one and have thoughts??

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
As " Simonsrplant " said, there is no substitute for big equipment if working on big dollar equipment. How much customers want to pay depends on big production job or getting it fixed in next month or 2. If your going to torch out always good if it is a centre greased pin to blow out the grease into a rag, put a wire with 1/8 inch 90 degree bend on end into grease bore to find out which direction the grease cross drilled hole is. You want to start the burn 1/4 inch or so away from where that direction is and come back to that cross drilled passage when 80 percent around on burning. Before you start burning you can try to wash out any additional grease from bore and blow out thoroughly, but make sure whatever you use to wash out the grease is not laying close by as it will ignite once the sparks start flying. Not even a bad idea to have clean coveralls on that dont have any flammable residue, or you will go up in flames.
In the end what works for each situation will be different. WTC makes a sledge hammer setup for knocking out pins that will work and some have made their own.
A little heat and 12 LBS of hitting has taken many out.
Simon C

Vetech63

I don't believe anyone here is criticizing the the tool purchase or the reasoning for its use. If it was taken that way the I apologize for that. My point was for my own operation with what parts or machine shops that are available to me at this point in time.....it would be extremely unfeasible for my own operation. There will always be occasions that that type of tooling is necessary, but I have the option of using the local dealer for their press equipment in those situations so I don't have $40k invested and sitting around for months not even being used. If I did undercarriage work full time? Thats a completely different story.

Monkeywithawrench

I'm sure everyone here can agree............the more tools you have, the more options you have to do a job. Slice rod/ exothermic lance, torches, presses, sockets and rachets from 1/4" to 1 1/2" drive. When a regular socket won't get on it, maybe a crowfoot will........nope, not enough room........now you get the flare crowfoot and that will get in there. The more tools you have, the more options open to you.........

Simons............for the majority of my work a 100T press is going to do the job. Shortly after I bought that, my buddy managed to pickup a 150T WTC tie rod unit . Now I have that option available. I spent alot of time trying to figure out 'WHAT SIZE DO I WANT'. I pulled the trigger on the 100T. Track work is NOT my mainstay. I have a 10K crane w/ 25ft reach. Are there times I wish I had the 14k crane with 30ft reach.......yup.

Randy............Your preaching to the choir. So tired of listening to the COVID excuse. I've got a friend who has a machine shop. I've had him make up quite a few pins out of 4140HT stock. So far.........I haven't run into a situation where I can't get steel to make things......so far (knock on wood). Had an EIK long reach boom that needed new pins and bushings brom the boom/ dipper stick down to the bucket. Pins and bushings were in Korea.........lead time was 2 weeks........then to get them shipped was more time. Made new pins to fit CAT bushings and seals. Line bored the holes in the boom to fit the bushings and seals. EIK didn't have stock on some of the bushings. Just easier to get CAT stuff in the future.

So far I'm happy w/ 100T press. I'm 54..........can't turn wrenches all your life. If I need a bigger press, well; I have the 150T option from my buddy. After that...........I give up. Anything that takes over a 3" socket.......not playing.LOL
My 2 cents...............and with inflation, that aint worth much anymore...........probably close to nothing.........so my opinion doesn't count anymore!!LOL

Monkeywithawrench

Also regarding the pin press..................makes putting a new pin or the old pin back in SOOOOO MUUUUCCCHHH easier!!! Old method.......soak new pin (or old pin) in liquid nitrogen to freeze. Flap disc to clean up old hole taking new pin, mic hole, mic pin. Sledgehammer to beat pin in.............sometimes it goes right in without a fight, sometimes it doesn't go in and fights you. Track press...........POW!! ZOOM!!! RIGHT TO THE MOON!!!.............pops the pin right in. Another bonus to having the track press.........easier pin installation.

Just wanted to add that.
(Edit)
Vetech............not sure if your speaking to me when you say your not critizing. I never took anything you had to say as critical. I agree........most customers who own companies that do this for a living wouldn't hesitate at all........Blow it out!!

Last edited:

Randy88

Wasn't being critical of anyone, just explaining how things have changed in my portion of the world. Sorry if it came across wrong.

Monkeywithawrench

Wasn't being critical of anyone, just explaining how things have changed in my portion of the world. Sorry if it came across wrong.
LOL..........oh man.........this is getting confusing!!LOL

Randy............I was addressing what V Tech said in his post.
I don't believe anyone here is criticizing the the tool purchase or the reasoning for its use. If it was taken that way the I apologize for that.
Too funny.......anyway. Randy, no apologies necessary. I don't think anybodies being critical of anyone here!! (GROUP HUG!!)Lol
I've only got 1 feeling left at this point in my life. My wife took that and put it up on the mantle with my balls.LOL No feelings left to get hurt!!LOL

VTech.........see what you started!!! YOU critical b*****d, you!!LOL

Anyway............taking today and hiding from the rain/sleet/ snow. Sick kid home. Good day to just hide, sit by the fireplace, bring some wood in, clean the driveway, and finish Christmas shopping.

Merry X mass, ya filthy animals!!! (from Home Alone)

sled dog

Who would criticize anyone for buying a tool? Even my wife knows tools are good.

Joe H
Joe H. True story, years ago my wife came to see me at the shop I was working in. Just so happened that the Snap On guy was there. Right up on his truck she went and ripped him up one side and down the other. Now, guys being as we are, we all crowded in to watch a guy get his a$$ chewed, happy it wasn't us !! She informed him, in words he could understand, that if he couldn't sell me more tools then she would call the Mac tool guy and see if he could do better !!! Back in those days our tools were tax deductable, and she, (we) needed those deductions. Snappy was stunned, told her he had wives yell at him before but NEVER for not selling enough tools !! He promised to do better....and he did... I have been lucky, she has always understood those tools pay the bills, and were never questioned.

8V71

Don’t know if it’s relevant anymore but....Had an OTC 100T C frame with electric pump. Used it very often. Bought it reasonable and it paid for itself quickly. D9l and or EX800 was about as big as it could do. Did not regret the purchase. Wish I still had one

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was almost glad retired from the business to a different career at end of 90s, managed to continue with side work at home from last day in a Garage in 96 to 2000 then started selling it all off, Dope I was. 2010 bought this place then bought a loader and needed about half what I had basically given away at prices to make it all move, stuff I had left over helped on the C15 and KW work where only had to buy a few pieces to make that work.
Still kind of regret ever having sold any of my old tools, yet is no way would go back to working as I once did as Body has told me cannot do it as once did.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I’ve been seeing those bison presses online. Are you a dealer?

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
A press is a very handy tool. But some presses don't fit or if they do fit they are not strong enough to push or pull the pin out. I learned a technique for burning out hucks on rail cars 35 years ago . I have since removed many a 6 inch by 1.5 to 3 inch diameter pin with a plain Oxy-Acetylene torch that uses a special technique to get a hole completely through a 6 inch pin. Whether I make it right through or not there is so much of the pin center missing that a fast chilling with cold water will shrink the pin greatly. I have tapped out many with a 4 pound hammer that 50 tons would not budge. I will see if I can draw a picture that explains how it is done. The last one I did with just a torch, The shop foreman and welding foreman were ready to cut out a large section of the frame on a grader to get it out. I had it out in less than 30 min., with this technique and there was lots of big eyes.
Learned the technique in Transcona Welding Shops of C.N. Rail in 1984.
Just a couple small tricks to make it successful versus a failure.
Will see if I can post the procedure on the weekend.
Simon C
Waiting to see this technique...

IceHole

Oooohhh dude............I'm with you there on spending the money. I've fought with 3 different CAT 336's and a 329 in the last year. I built a homemade C press out of 7"x 3/4" flat stock and a 60T double acting cylinder. Worked well until this past Mondays adventures. I'm 54 now...........not the young lion I used to be. Monday's nightmare crippled me for Tuesday. Tools breaking............push pins bending.........the back of the C press that holds the bottom of the jack, with doubled up 3/4" plate was bending up. It didn't go well. LOL.........my wife called me around 11pm because I didn't hear or respond to her text at 10pm asking I was OK. She was just making sure I wasn't crushed under a piece of equipment!!
A buddy of mine told me...........upon discussing my plan to make the pin press............he said "Sometimes you need all of that 100T to push those pins back in and get them out". That is what was going through my head that night.
And bantering the thoughts and discussing the idea of purchasing one, I've had a bunch of buddies in the industry (whom I talk to all the time.......batting around problems, have you run into this before, what do you think about doing that, etc) who have said if I buy one they'd be eager to rent it when they need it. Thus the kernel of the idea of just purchasing one. The need is there. I can have it paid off in 2 years..........well, have it pay for itself. Just tired of beating the crap out of myself. It would be like having to use a gin pole instead of having a proper crane on the truck. Gin pole would work.........but oh man, that crane is so much easier to use!!
I think I may go with the WTC Machinery FP100. It would be $14k US for the press and the medium and large pins and receivers. The TracBuster is $13k US for the C frame press and just 3 different size pins pins. The receivers for the push pins on the TracBuster are the same size.............so removing the push pins and putting a replacement track pin in to get it started could be pretty sloppy. I like the idea of having a tighter fit on the new track pin to reduce the chance of it going crooked. And getting the pin press, I'm sure my rotator cuff's would appreciate me not swinging the 20lber anymore.

Last one we did was on a 45 ton Timberjack fellerbuncher. Roughly D7 dozer sized undercarriage.

The main guy doing the work was almost 80 and made us look bad. Used a 20lb sledge to knock a pin out and reinstall.