• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for the Most powerful Tracked machine

myrahush

Excavators come in many different sizes, from mini-excavators able to operate weight between 0.7 and 8 tones, to colossal earth moving machines like the Bucyrus RH400 which the largest excavator available, weighing over 2,160,510 pounds with a bucket of 52 cubic meters.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Excavators come in many different sizes, from mini-excavators able to operate weight between 0.7 and 8 tones, to colossal earth moving machines like the Bucyrus RH400 which the largest excavator available, weighing over 2,160,510 pounds with a bucket of 52 cubic meters.

No kidding !! What does any of this have to do with a big tracked loader ?

Digdeep

Just wondering is anyone out there has any experience wiht the Terex Pt100G...Big HP numbers wiht intellegent hydro's...They look like a great machine. Absoletely zero of them around here. Never even saw one in person.........just curoius...............looks like it puts out some of the top rated spec's on hp and hydro.

There are plenty of them out there in the market. I aware of a large vegetation management up here in WI that has over 20 of them, and I've seen them painted Asplundh orange as well. As far as hydraulics (45gpm@3800psi), engine hp (100hp) and engine torque (310lb ft) they are unmatched. Narrow machine under 6", I think they have 14" of ground clearance, 10mph, blah, blah blah. Hydraulic reversing fan is standard as well.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
the PT-100 is a machine that terex has put there brand name on after they purchased the ASV company. the track system is the smoothest rideing system on the market BUT it comes at a high cost at replacement time. Cat used the same system for years and after say 8+ years of this style construction they started to design there own track frames and drives. This is not the type drive system you want to be useing in rocks or demo work , but it is good for sand or loose loam.

Digdeep

the PT-100 is a machine that terex has put there brand name on after they purchased the ASV company. the track system is the smoothest rideing system on the market BUT it comes at a high cost at replacement time. Cat used the same system for years and after say 8+ years of this style construction they started to design there own track frames and drives. This is not the type drive system you want to be useing in rocks or demo work , but it is good for sand or loose loam.

It is true that CAT does build a steel roller CTL now as well. However, they still sell the MTLs by the thousands. One of the primary problems that the CAT machines had was that they were too heavy for ASV's undercarriage, and example would be the 257. It weighs in at almost 8,000lbs compared to ASVs (now Terex) PT-60 that only weighs about 6,300lbs. Big difference on the same undercarriage. The weight distribution of the CAT machines is also a big problem. They are built to be skid steers and not CTLs. That is why they have no ground clearance, are much wider than the ASV machines and have most of their weight on the rear of the machine.

I think that the ASVs hold up just fine in general construction applications and the rumors you hear are primarily driven by the CAT machines and the outrageous repair bills that the CAT dealers were sticking their customers with. You can buy an entire undercarriage kit for a PT50/60 for right at $6,500 retail. This kit includes a set of tracks, two fully assemble sprockets and all the bogies, idlers and hardware. Not sure about the PT100 cost. I have owned a RC50 for several years and sold against them as a Bobcat salesman, and I can tell you that there is no reason that I can think of where a machine needs all of the components replaced at the same time, and I would recommend them to anyone who planned on using one on a farm without hesitation.

I do know that while some of the other CTLs have one or two "best in class" features, nobody that builds a CTL today can touch the PT100 as a complete package for hydraulic performance, ground clearance, narrow width, ground speed, pressurized cabs, reversing fans, hinged belly pans for easy cleanout, forestry protection, lift, etc. They have been making dedicated CTL machines for over 25 years and they're still doing it so they must be doing something right.

jca57jd

He pafarmer,
The tak tl250 is going to be your number one choice for moving dirt and doing grading work. It is a tank as far as bucket break out force and traction force (pushing) goes. I fill that it would lift the 3500 pounds no problem but when compared to the big bobcat, cat ect... it would be lacking some on lifting capacity and hydraulic power. Bobcat 870 would be best lifting machine, Terex pt100g for hydraulic flow for mulching, and Tak tl250 for grading and moving dirt. I would say the best all around (hydraulic flow, lifting capacity, and pushing power) machine would be the bobcat 870. My next machine will defiantly be a tak tl250 for reliability, but then again I primarily do grading work. Good luck and I hope you love your new machine no matter what you buy! Good luck.

pafarmer

Occupation
So what did you end up with PA?

I will decide today and report. Ithas come down to the TL250 and the CAT299D....Leaning toward the CAT. I am going to post a few pictures of our fun day in the snow and rain. All of the machines performed extremely well. The Takeuchi wins in the "Pushing Dept". The CASE machine was very nice as well. Well appointted and Engr. unit for sure. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the machines I tested/demo'ed. The new CAT is a complete animal and posts up some good numbers. I ran it well over those posted specifications and I could not overpower the hydro's on it. Its really nice and I am sure I was running it well over the published spec's and it wasn't even close to failing. Decel pedel, was cool along with a bunch of other first time features. More to come. Need to get moving here.

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
I have selected the 2012 CAT 299D XHP. The machine is a animal. Loads of very nice features not found anywhere else such as Decel when set to full throttle, ILEV system, dual direction self leveling and tool retur to dig or positioner. Very Smooth ride. Smooth throttle response. Fly by wire feel. Hydro Power to spare on any attachement I ran, Fecon, Big Chipper etc. Fit , finish is fantastic, Super quite in the cab, very little hydro drone. The machine looks longer than a 299C..
Has Great Spec's ;
ROC @ 50% = 4550lbs, Tippoing load =9100lbs. NET HP 106 !!! I ran the machine well over both of those limits and I never found the stopping point..It's a really nice CTL....All of the machine had strong and weak points. The Takeuchi TL250 was a very close second for my applications, A pure breed , no nonsense , get it pushed now machine. The CASE machine were also very nice units. The TR320 and the TR380 are fantastic in my opinion and underrated, no one should overlook the CASE machines. The new CAT 299D is a full dress unit, everything included with the only exception being custom paint. I will custom scratch the crap out of it inside of a weeks time .Thanks for all your inputs and I will get a few pictures up soon. The good news is that you really can't go wrong with most any of the new CTL on the market today. They are all very capable, well thought out peices of equipment. The finally application plays the most important role, than who the manufacturere is in my humble opinion.

Farmer

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
Ballpark price otd?

Too difficult to honestly answer. Multiple transactions on multiple peices of equipment cloud the true figures. The best answer I can honestly give is expect to pay about 10% more than a 299C model and about 10% more than a John Deere. I ordered a hand full of different attachments to go with our new machine so that adds to the fog in terms of true dollar amounts and what one would pay if they walked on the street with cash in hand. Also, I have done business for years with these folks and my father before me. I am positive that only a few folks get the same price as we do. Trying to figure out how to load pictures from a cell phone over to my computer to post a few shots of the new CAT... Any advise gladly accepted.

:usa

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Well done Pa. Sounds like you went in with an open mind and found the machine that worked best for you. 106 horse is a heck of a lot ponies in a CTL.

pafarmer

Occupation
Well done Pa. Sounds like you went in with an open mind and found the machine that worked best for you. 106 horse is a heck of a lot ponies in a CTL.

Thanks KSSS, I did indeed give all of the machines a fair and honest comparison. I really liked the CASE machines, both the 320 and 380, they would make a great all around CTL in my opinion and if I could only own one , the CASE would be it. The Takeuchi TL250 was an animal too. If I was just pushing dirt around all day the Takeuchi would have won my business. The CASE was a great all around machine that held tractions on steep terrian best, The CAT had the big HP numbers i was looking for in the end. It ran all of my attachments with power to spare. I am talking to the CASE dealer again on Monday to see what kind of deal we could work if I traded my 333D's for both the CASE 320 and the 380.....I can't say enough good things about the CASE CTL line of products. I was really impressed by them in all aspects. Very well built, thought out units. The heated seat is an awesome option and the ride control along with the ability to teach it your operating habits/needs is something I wouldn't mind paying for....Anyone in the market for a new machine absolutely needs to strongly consider the CASE machines. They have a really nice new backhoe on the market too that I am looking at for the business.

Last edited:

JCBiron

Man, PA, I need more customers like you in my area!! Glad to see business is good enough to warrant the purchase of new equipment....great to see after the last few years we've had!

At any rate, congrats on your new purchase!

pafarmer

Occupation
Man, PA, I need more customers like you in my area!! Glad to see business is good enough to warrant the purchase of new equipment....great to see after the last few years we've had!

At any rate, congrats on your new purchase!

Thanks JCB. We have been very futunate to have an abundance of work. Mostly due to the Gas industry in my area. I thank God each and every day for it......

Farmer

JohnD386

PA, you can not go wrong with a CAT. If you look at things like overall cost of ownership, resale value, and dealer support you can't afford not to buy CAT. CAT also typically under rates the lifting capacity of their machines. As far as horse power goes on a machine there is about 30 different SAE formulas you can use to measure hydraulic horsepower. I saw another post that said watch the Bobcat Advantage videos please do. Its one of the most clever marketing adds I have seen. Any operator that knows machines will be able to see they are not apples to apples especially on the mini excavators. All the competitors have long sticks and large buckets. Very clever. Enjoy your 299D.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
PA, you can not go wrong with a CAT. If you look at things like overall cost of ownership, resale value, and dealer support you can't afford not to buy CAT. CAT also typically under rates the lifting capacity of their machines.

Your kidding right? You must have missed the MTL debacle. By far the highest ownership costs and the worst resale values of any tracked machine sold in NA. Dealer support in the sense that there is a lot of them yes, support in the sense they back the product, that is hit and miss. One example is the countless CAT skid steers that have shelled their engines prematurely.

CAT, like all heavy equipment OEMs makes some great products and some not so great. I do know that stamping CAT on the back does not ensure greatness across their entire line up. If thinking so makes you sleep better, good for you, but its not reality.

I thought there was just one formula to figure hyd. hp? I am no engineer so maybe I have fallen behind.

JDOFMEMI

...... Trying to figure out how to load pictures from a cell phone over to my computer to post a few shots of the new CAT... Any advise gladly accepted.

:usa

I have had a photobucket account for several years, and it is easy to post to this and other forums from. Photos are resized automatically for forum use, and i h=just found an app that uploads my cell pictures to my photobucket account automatically. I let them go to a private folder, then move the ones I want to different folders that are public and post from there. Really easy for me now.

JohnD386

KSSS, I didn't mean to upset you. I was just trying to congratulate PA on the purchase of his new machine and point some positives I have had with my CAT machines as far as trade numbers and auction results. Sounds like you had a bad experience with a MTL. That was my first post on Heavy Equipment Forums. Thanks for such a positive response. Who mentioned anything about a MTL? PA bought a CTL. I also checked Ritchie Bros auction results. Your comment about worst resale values is factually incorrect. Comparing similar competitive machines in year and hours shows CAT brings 20% to 25% more at auction in Florida followed by Bobcat and John Deere. I sleep great at night but not because a machine says CAT on the back of it.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Your new I and I chose not to get into fight over this. However, check Iron Planet (which sells world wide not just in Fl) on CAT resale especially MTL's. Run the numbers and you see will operating costs in excess of 35 an hour. I know he bought a CTL. Your point was CAT has better resale, lower operating costs ect not just the CTL. That is simply not true. I have no issue with CAT, in fact it was the only other brand I considered when I recently purchased a new machine, however blanket statements like yours are seldom true across the board. That is my point.

Welcome to HEF. I am really not a ****.