• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Long reach komatsu pc200 advise

lawnguy

I’ve operated everything from a hand shovel to a pc1200 1000 times,all with standard booms/ buckets. I’ve been offered a pretty sweet deal operating .. think he said 48’ rig. Anything I need to watch out for other than no side loading, bucket capacity and probably just depth perception adjustments? Just dredging a drainage ditch , no rocks .

Tags

When you have a bucket full of mud for the first time and you’re bringing the stick in, you might want to keep the front window closed, because when that stick stops quicker than you anticipated,it will throw most of the mud from the bucket into the cab…

Reactions: DB2

lawnguy

When you have a bucket full of mud for the first time and you’re bringing the stick in, you might want to keep the front window closed, because when that stick stops quicker than you anticipated,it will throw most of the mud from the bucket into the cab…
Lol.. yeah I could see that happening.. thanks

lawnguy

What Dash number in the PC200?
Not sure yet.. way to muddy to get to it today lol
I’m stuck on a Volvo EC350El today. Loaded to the teeth

Attachments

• 49CC4974-4CAB-4109-B78D-76188B5D0333.jpeg
    49CC4974-4CAB-4109-B78D-76188B5D0333.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44

skyking1

@Shimmy1 does a lot of that ditch cleaning and pond work, he would have a lot more specific advice for your new gig. Yes side loading the stick and boom is bad news, they are more like a fishing pole than a heavy boom at times. I have used the bucket to assist turns, but do so very carefully and not a big hurry.
Regarding the tossing material, I had a young fellow on the job who was eager to try it out so I set him up there with a task, and soon enough he tossed about a half wheelbarrow onto the cab floor and his feet. The toe glass was out or it would have been broken.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
You may find this information of interest.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• GI Land drainage 1.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 16

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
something like this
31030-11749384.jpg
Even with the bucket empty, it's heavy. If you stop to fast, it can slide your tracks around, and when loading trucks, even when you stop, the boom will flex, and go past the truck. I think when we put the long boom on our 350 linkbelt, I think they add extra weights to the bottom of the counter weight.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
All that makes sense with that long boom. I never operated one and I know a local guy that has a Hyundai HX300 with a 60’ boom. It’s brand new and they broke the pin that holds the stick to the boom. I was like that’s weird cause it’s brand new with no wear. No I bet someone did it swinging it around too fas and stopping or hit something etc. he lets anyone that’ll climb on it operate it. And it had mud all over the front of it. Now I know lol

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
All that makes sense with that long boom. I never operated one and I know a local guy that has a Hyundai HX300 with a 60’ boom. It’s brand new and they broke the pin that holds the stick to the boom. I was like that’s weird cause it’s brand new with no wear. No I bet someone did it swinging it around too fas and stopping or hit something etc. he lets anyone that’ll climb on it operate it. And it had mud all over the front of it. Now I know lol
Most run a smaller bucket as well. They can be robust with the right man on it. We have used ours for shore line protection jobs. Handling large rock can be hard on it if you're not careful. If I remember, Skyking1's picture is a machine placing rock.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
That’s what we need one for rip rap on the shoreline. We have a place in West Tennessee on the river and there’s a lot of rip rap applications here. Many require a long reach machine.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You are going to need a very big machine handling a long reach and setting rip rap.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
You are going to need a very big machine handling a long reach and setting rip rap.
Ours is set up on a 350 Linkbelt. Even then there is quite a bit of weight added to the counter weight,. They built a rack at the shop yard that you can run the machine up to with the boom and stick folded up, set it in place, remove the pins and lines, and then back away, leaving the boom in place, so you can put the regular boom and stick back on.

skyking1

to put it in perspective, both this 270 above and the hitachi 210 I have operated had a 4' cleanup bucket on them, very similar to the bucket for my current 120. That's all they can handle, especially over the side like that.
In the picture above, you can see the paint from what looked like a boom repair some time in the past.

lawnguy

Well they sold the komatsu before starting and brought in a Volvo 250lr
It’s not bad I don’t guess. They’re not as intimidating as I thought. 5 miles of drainage ditch..,here we go lol

Attachments

• 43B8D7C2-3CA1-4B58-9955-24DC4612CA9F.jpeg
    43B8D7C2-3CA1-4B58-9955-24DC4612CA9F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Not written in stone, and I am by no means a hoe man, and by that I mean I can run one if I have to, but it's not my daily driver. But I was taught years ago that if you ditch from the lowest to highest spot, you have less of a chance of having a puddle. I have always used this, even running water with the grader.

skyking1

yes indeed. If you want to make a good product, set up a laser next to the outlet and put one of the targets on it with lights and check yourself now and again. hump the laser along as you go.

lawnguy

Not written in stone, and I am by no means a hoe man, and by that I mean I can run one if I have to, but it's not my daily driver. But I was taught years ago that if you ditch from the lowest to highest spot, you have less of a chance of having a puddle. I have always used this, even running water with the grader.
These particular ditches are in north east Arkansas.. keeps the farm land drained off in the area after clearing the forest after the great Chicago fire.
A maze of them running west away from the Mississippi River levees. They pretty much keep a water line in them. Further west they go the wider and deeper they get. I’m pretty much against the levee so I’ll just flatten the bucket on the existing slope profile and take out about 1-1.5 foot and any silt buildup. Sure would be nice to have a gps setup in this rig.