• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Equipment Pictures

ben2helinback

I'm using an Hp Photosmart C6150 all in one printer+fax+scanner+copier
actually alot easier than i thought it might be
I'm scanning them to a usb flash drive then transfering to my laptop

Here are a few photos, More to come.

Attachments

• SCAN0018.jpg
    SCAN0018.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,153
  • SCAN0019.jpg
    SCAN0019.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3,156
  • SCAN0020.jpg
    SCAN0020.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3,183
  • SCAN0002.jpg
    SCAN0002.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 3,135
  • SCAN0003.jpg
    SCAN0003.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 3,147

ben2helinback

That last photo was the first heavy lift to be done by Erickson Air-crane. It is a pipestand that one of the welders and I built together, I was the welders helper and backhoe operator on that particular project. we designed it so that the train that runs up White Pass could pass under it. that way it could continue to run even if our cables were slacked against the hillside. the pipe would hold the cables high enough off the ground in order for the train to pass underneath them. after coming off the barge the big Sikorsky picked it up from the yard right next to the bridge heading out of town, and flew it up to the jobsite near Pitchfork falls.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
These are incredible pictures. That 100' tower is a Berger brand unit, cam off a Berger yarder, built in Seattle (see my Berger thread for pics of these towers hooked to yarders). They must have flown that Berger up there? It has 6 guylines on it with the hyd motors and drums mounted right on the lower tube base, and free-stands on the ground. What was the name I see painted on the Berger tube?
Also- great job on the scanning- these pics are terrific for sure!

ben2helinback

Heli Shots

Some more heli shots. the little one was our company's own Bell 500. not a bad way to get to work each day. the last shot is of Skagway From the heli flying home.

Attachments

• SCAN0005.jpg
    SCAN0005.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3,095
  • SCAN0004.jpg
    SCAN0004.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3,082
  • SCAN0006.jpg
    SCAN0006.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 3,083
  • SCAN0007.jpg
    SCAN0007.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,097
  • SCAN0008.jpg
    SCAN0008.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 3,093

ben2helinback

Your right It is a Berger. we flew it up in three pieces. The writing on it is Whitewater (company name) the funny thing is they painted it on the wrong side. lol it was intended to be seen by all the tourists from the road leading into Canada. funny story about that Berger, back here in Bellingham before it was shipped north the bottom section of the tube was all beat up from years of rigging banging into it so i had to crawl inside it with a sledge hammer and beat on it while a guy on the outside would heat it up with a rosebud torch. this was in the dead of winter and it was cold as hell outside, i went in wearing full winter gear. and i came out wearing only my pants, gloves, and work boots. also had to blow fresh air in so that i could breathe because all the grease that was smeared inside would cause so much smoke while it was being heated.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
These are awsome pics! Great shot of Skagway. It looks as if the Sikorsky came up on the AML barge? Why not fly it up? Columbia works up here all the time, never seen them barge one in. What year was all this work done? Aagin, awsome shots, and they dont even look scanned! Great work on this.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
What a story! My hat is off to you for sure! There are some great people with crazy stories who post here. On another note, for those who have never been there, Skagway is a miserable, cold, windy place on this earth, and anyone who works a job like this in a place like that has earned everyone's respect. Again, hats off!

ben2helinback

Heli Pics

More shots from the Heli

Attachments

• SCAN0014.jpg
    SCAN0014.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3,084
  • SCAN0015.jpg
    SCAN0015.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3,107
  • SCAN0017.jpg
    SCAN0017.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3,090
  • SCAN0032.jpg
    SCAN0032.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3,068

ben2helinback

Various equipment

We had three Hoes that were flown up in pieces, a Jd 490, Hitachi 300,and a cat 235 High cab log loader. The 235 was Broke down into 7 pieces. everything had to weigh less than 17,000 lbs. we mounted a rock drill on the end of the 235 so that it could drill out into the shore of the lake.

Attachments

• SCAN0009.jpg
    SCAN0009.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,067
  • SCAN0011.jpg
    SCAN0011.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 3,062
  • SCAN0012.jpg
    SCAN0012.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,075
  • SCAN0013.jpg
    SCAN0013.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,075

ben2helinback

Rock drills

The first one was an old dinosaur that drilled about 5 holes before it blew the engine. the little one is an Ingersol Rand LM100 air-track. That little Guy saved our Bacon After the old Dinosaur Puked, because it was all we had until we could get the Newer Ingy Rand that was Pictured next to the Berger. We made alot of holes with That little LM100, but what a pain in the Butt, couldn't drill more than About 2 Holes before you had to reset the whole machine.:Banghead But at least it kept us Busy.

Attachments

• SCAN0010.jpg
    SCAN0010.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 3,054
  • SCAN0016.jpg
    SCAN0016.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 3,041

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
CMI in Juneau has 4 IR LM100's in the rental fleet today- they use them all over Southeast in remote locations- they are great because Temsco Helicopters (Ktn, Juneau, and Skagway operations) can fly them anywhere under a 214. Perfect for this type of work.

ben2helinback

Lakeside

These are some pics of the trench we had to blast in order to place the pipe for the Intake below Shore level. then we built a dam to hold back the water after the last bit of land was blasted out.

Attachments

• SCAN0024.jpg
    SCAN0024.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3,034
  • SCAN0023.jpg
    SCAN0023.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 3,077
  • SCAN0022.jpg
    SCAN0022.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 3,057
  • SCAN0025.jpg
    SCAN0025.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 3,031
  • SCAN0026.jpg
    SCAN0026.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 3,014

ben2helinback

Lakeside

That's me on the finished dam. the last picture is just a cool picture of the lake standing on the shore.that would make a cool postcard, the reflection in the water looks clearer than the sky. it took us several passes over that trench with the LM100 to get it down to the depth we needed. and the rock was so broke up that we would have to load the holes right after drilling them, because if we waited until we were all done drilling they would all be sluffed in. we would get about two holes distance away from the drill then load it. needless to say it was a little bit sketchy drilling so close to a live hole. it took us a few days to drill the pattern as well and since you can't leave a live pattern unattended, i stayed all night on the jobsite to keep an eye on it. kinda weird being out there all by yourself so far from civilization. i spent most of the night in the cab of the Hitachi just in case any bears came sniffing around. and at least it had a radio in it, i was able to pick up an am talk radio station. i got plenty of overtime during that pay period. :D

ben2helinback

Just one more !!!

This is the guy that taught me how to drill rock. and thanks to him I have all of these Photos as it was his camera that took all of these pictures. I wish that i had doubles of his entire collection (he carried his camera everywhere). these are just a handful that he gave to me,for which i am extremely thankful.

Attachments

• SCAN0001.jpg
    SCAN0001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 3,532

ben2helinback

sorry

Sorry.... i didn't mean to hijack this thread. Most all of these photos were taken above the Berger Tower where the hillside was not too steep for the hoes to get around. It was the rock drillers camera that took all of these pics. As for the logging side of the operation i wish i had some photos of that. (i didn't carry a camera):pointhead
But i was one of the first guys on the hillside. Me and the cutter spent a few days falling all the trees along the right of way. He carried the saw and did all the felling, while i carried everything else, the gas, bar oil, axe, wedge, lunch, spare chain, and files. all this in snow up to my waist in spots. I wore an orange vest so the surveyors could spot me through the transit nearly a mile away. then they would tell me when i was on center-line so that we could look around to figure out which trees needed to come down. I stayed pretty close to him after he pointed out all the trees that were marked up by the bears just coming out hibernation. (he was carrying the saw that was theoretically going to scare one off) this was all before our helicopter arrived on the job, and we were at least a half days hike away from any sort of help.

After the Berger tower and the Skagit BU98 was in place i got to work with the logging crew setting chokers. this to me was alot of fun. We worked from top to bottom so the treading was easy and by this time all the snow was gone. I'm not sure exactly how much line we had but there must have been over 2 miles of haulback line on order to make it all the way up to the Berger and Back down to the Landing at full Slack. (the landing was down by the river and the BU98 was placed in one of the turnouts along the Highway) in fact a few of the guy wires were anchored to the hillside on the opposite side of the road.

After all the trees were gone i mostly worked on the drilling and Blasting Crew (now Talk About Fun!!!) I found no greater pleasure than to spend a week to drill a pattern, A day to load the holes, And Seven seconds to blow it to Kingdom Come !!!:cool:

All in all the job was a once in a lifetime experience that i will never forget.
Thanks for letting me share !!! You Have Brought back Some wonderful memories !!! :notworthy

Lashlander

Those pictures are fantastic. I did a job in Skagway last fall. Went over to Whitehorse and saw the pipe coming down off the mountain. I had to pull over and check it out. Took me a while to figure out what it was for. I was probably pulled over where the yarder was sitting. That whole area fascinates me what with the Railroad built in 1898 then the Klondike highway in 1975. Thanks for sharing those pictures.
Makes me wish I would have taken more pictures of projects I've done through the years. Thanks again.