• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Equipment Pictures

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I suspect you are right about the head. Wish I knewmore about them..........
Great Pics!

PS- I saw the Cat 315 mini logger-roadbuilder (2 of them) at the Eugene Log show only one year, and havent been able to find one since. They were really cool, but expensive- nearly doule a standard 315BLC at the time.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
The ones I saw were working up around Colville, WA on some Vaugen Brothers Lumber ground, building fire lines and piling brush and the likes.
I know what you mean about double the price of a standard hoe. Kinda like this 330 that was at Eugene last year.
330 price.jpg
And this was a "special" price!

Iron Art

Occupation
Retired power plant control operator
Heres a picture taken out from Juneau, down on Icy Strait I believe. Thought maybe Contract could shed a little light on it. Really enjoy all the pictures, I could build models for years from these threds. Fred

Attachments

• november%202007%20deer%20hunt%20021.jpg
    november%202007%20deer%20hunt%20021.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 3,636

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
OK, Here it is, sorry for the delay. I spent the day in Ketchikan, saw this pic around noon. I have never seen this machine before, but have heard stories, and called a couple of people I know to look at it also. They all recognized it immediately. This machine and its twin (yes, there were 2 I am told) are Liebherr front shovels that were purchased by Boyer Barge Service of Seattle and converted to log loaders. The fellows I spoke with think that Pierce Pacific of Portland made the conversion. Apparently Boyer would run around picking log bundles out of the water and put them on the barge for transport to here or there. The 3 piece boom would get the grapple clear into the water. The barge was long, and the shovel would travel the lenth of it decking wood.

I wonder where these machines are today? Boyer sold out to Northland Services some years ago, and I am pretty familiar with thier operation today- I have never seen these. I'll ask some Boyer managers I know if they know anything of them........ and get back to you on this. Have you got anymore pics?? This thing is awasome!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Log Barge Shipwreck, Alaska Lost Coast

Along the lines of the above story:

This wreck lies on Alaska's 'Lost Coast'- a 300+/- mile long stretch of coastline with basically nothing and no access. It runs north from Yakutat to Cordova, with nothing but Moose and Brown Bear roaming around-- no people, towns, or roads. There are several old military installations, some abandoned mines and exploratory oil-well drill sites (some old equipment parked around out there too), but basically nothing. In the summer some Natives from Yakutat fly-in and set up fish camps out there. Anyway, this broke loose from its towboat and washed ashore- and is still there. I spotted it moose hunting and have been back sevral times to the site- and come home with meat no lees!!

Attachments

• Yakataga Log Ship.jpg
    Yakataga Log Ship.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,761
  • 00337.jpg
    00337.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 3,795
  • 04183.jpg
    04183.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3,807
  • Cessna4.jpg
    Cessna4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,621
  • Cessna3.jpg
    Cessna3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 3,686

Lashlander

Funny, I was going to ask you if you knew anything about this wreck. I never heard anything about it until a few years ago there was a picture in Alaska Magazine. Hard to imagine the money lost here.
I was in Port Graham once and watched the Seaspan Rigger load logs. Wow, get out of the way. They can move the timber. A couple years later I saw where they rolled one over unloading it.
I had a few pictures on here a while back loading the aft hold of a log ship after they dropped the boom overboard but they got deleted. I've really enjoyed all your pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Iron Art

Occupation
Retired power plant control operator
I did have one other pic of that log loader picking about a truck load of bundled logs out of the water. Will look around to find it. Did you ever fish for Halibut off Cube Cove? Fred

ben2helinback

Who Knew?

Is currently rusting away in Skagway, Alaska.

Wow Talk about a blast from the past !!!!

I actually worked under this yarder in skagway back in 1997 on the Goat lake hydro electric project.

I was watching the show "axe men" on the history channel and decided to google Skagit BU98 which brought me to this site.

who Knew i would Find Photos of the same yarder that i worked under 13 years ago.

just out of curiosity sake, do you Know How old these Photos are.

to be perfectly honest it looks to be in pretty close to the same condition that i last saw it. maybe a bit more rust than i remember.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
These photos are a year old. Dont worry though- I was by there 3 weeks ago and nothing has changed at all. Dave Hunz has the machine at his place and I suspect you could own it for $ 3,500.00 bucks. He says it got left there and he wants it gone. Cost $15,000.00 or so to get it to Seattle, and the what? There are several down there you could buy for much less.........

ben2helinback

Thanks for the info.
I'm not at all interested in buying it. I just thought it was cool that i was thinking about it while watching "axe men" (which i think is far too much drama and not enough logging) so i decided to google Skagit BU98 only to find pictures of the very same yarder i used to work under rusting away up in Skagway. gotta love the internet !!!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Says 'Priest Logging, Port Angeles Washington' on the cab, even a phone number on there yet. Pretty rusty though. Think of all the air valves, lines, and switches just sitting there in the salt air all these years. Not good for any piece to sit like that, but is especially deadly for a yarder. Thanks for looking- better yet, got any pics of here standing up? That would be great to see!

ben2helinback

I will do some digging in my old photo albums. i might have a few of it and the tower we used on the uphill side. i will have to scan them into my laptop as they were taken before the days of digital cameras.

ben2helinback

There was no second yarder. only a 100' spar to keep the skyline high enough off the ground. we used the whole system to log the trees off the right of way then used it as a slackline crane to set the pipeline in their saddles. it might take me some time to get the photos on to my laptop (I've never done it before) but i do have a printer with scanning capability so it should be a good learning experience. besides it would be cool to have the photos digitized. i will do what i can but it will have to wait until at least tomorrow.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Skagit BU98 on an HD110 Tower on Self-Propelled Carrier

Understood- I've never done it either. Here are a few more pics of your yarder to get you through the night, LOL.

Attachments

• IMGP5495.jpg
    IMGP5495.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3,121
  • IMGP5493.jpg
    IMGP5493.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 3,152
  • IMGP5488.jpg
    IMGP5488.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3,130
  • IMGP5491.jpg
    IMGP5491.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 3,160
  • IMGP5489.jpg
    IMGP5489.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3,232

Lashlander

I second the motion for pictures of it in action. Pretty wild where they took that pipe. Be great to see a few pictures of the project.

ben2helinback

I'm scanning the photos that i have of the project right now. sorry to say that i don't have any of the BU98 , but i have some pretty neat pics of the upper tower and some good shots of from the helicopter. i will upload them when i'm finished scanning.

ben2helinback

I'm using an Hp Photosmart C6150 all in one printer+fax+scanner+copier
actually alot easier than i thought it might be
I'm scanning them to a usb flash drive then transfering to my laptop