• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lets see your "ultimate" service truck!

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
It funny every time is see a crane on the R/H side I always think "why is it on that side?'. Needless to say mine is one the left side and i love it that way. Personally all my hand tools and main work tools are on the left side so I try to always have my left side to the machine and having the crane right there when I need it just makes sense for me.

So whats the reasoning for people preferring the right side ?

I don't know why people prefer the right side but it seems to be the standard set-up. it took me a little while to get used to mine after previously having a right side crane but now I don't even think about it. the original owner must have had a reason for it and ordered it that way

HATCHEQUIP

BB I think its because its just like you said your main work tools on left side and that's usually the heaviest side of the truck so they put the crane on the side that's loaded the lightest to try and balance out the load.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
its a rebadged dodge 5500. they only made 3000? of them in 08-09 I think. 6.7 cummins, aisin tranny. all dodge except for the badges.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
hatchequip, mike l is totally correct! the power, the trans and the exhaust brake and wheel brakes were AMAZING! however it drove like it was a half loaded water truck constant steering and attention of which i have none especially when driving! besides i couldn't keep it from being overloaded always! now with the international it has no power i shift it constantly and the wheel brakes are hydraulic crap but it virtually steers itself. i need to get back to a kenworth like i used at my previous employer and all will be happy, happy, happy. all in time. i special ordered that sterling (dodge) even though i have been a ford fan all my life because i had heard (and experienced) so many horror stories about the powerjoke and the brakes on the 550's it saved me like $7,000 on the purchase price too! hind sight is 20/20 and i should have just laid out the 150k and got the kenworth! but if i did that i would just be trying to get a tandem axle now:beatsme so many wants!.....TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
willie 59, i agree with the maintainer body as being very good equipment, if i had my perfect world i would special order a body from carco industries in Portland Oregon they are "custom" bodies built very well with excellent fit and finish from more of a "family owned" company rather than a publically traded company like terex which owns maintainer, but for now i will buy whatever is available at the best deal? thanks for the compliment on the truck yours is very nice also. there is actually a kenworth on truckpaper.com with the same body spec i called about it and got all the pictures but as much as i hate white trucks the wife hates red even more so she wouldn't let me park it in the driveway besides i think i am going to hold off til this one is a bit more worn and i special order a tandem....TIO

HATCHEQUIP

TIO one truck I always thought might make a good service truck was one of those fl freightliners with the 8.3 cummins and that extended cab. One of the companies I worked for bought me a new 1900 series international back in 88 with 466 and 6 and 2 and 4 wheel disk brakes I liked that truck but for the power, which was ok at best, but after the warrenty run out I twisted its tail a little and that did the trick that truck would pull, after the 2nd 100,000 miles it was still running strong when they turned it into a job flatbed.

markshr151

I have a Fl 60 with extended cab and I love it . I put a third seat were the bed was and left the sides In and can still sleep there. My problem is after 10.000$ for a inframe and only 170,000 miles my 8.3 is puking oil out the crank case vent. At full speed it will push out 2 gal in 30 min. It does not make any sense. To make matters worse my truck has been sitting over a month while we work out of a f350 because were to swamped with work to fix it.

still learn'n

The first truck is the current one and the second one is the truck I'm fixing up to replace the old one! Jerry

Attachments

• 1993 Freightliner edited version.jpg
    1993 Freightliner edited version.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,759
  • 2003 Freightliner edited version.jpg
    2003 Freightliner edited version.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 3,867

inthedirt

Ah yes... a tornado truck. I kinda wondered where all those would end up at. Some were absolutely destroyed! A part of me wanted to see if they would let a person slip over there and get some parts and pieces. I work on the other side of town and some of things that got mangled would just make you sick!

still learn'n

yep you got it its got a new cab on it and got a new hood sitting there for it just havnt had time to work on it! Jerry

bobcats300

Occupation
equipment foreman/mechanic
Bobcats300,

Is that a Pal finger body and crane? Have never seen one in person. How do you like it?

its not mine itsat my uncles shop but he let me run calls with it and i like the doors and drawers and how the crane isnt at a severe angle. we added a 60 gallon water tank that can run a pressure washer as you can see and a drain spout that goes to the back bench so we can wash our hands when working on sprayers and such. one drawback is definitely the sound of the compressor. its a high pitch whining sound thats annoying after a while. but other than that i like it. wish i had more pics but its great i recommend it and IMT and th water tank is a must to keep hands clean. take some hand soap i.e.gojo

inthedirt

Hey still learn'n did you buy it from an insurance pool or straight from momma cat? How much did you get? Was it just a shell or did it have drawers and bins in it still? What year? Sorry im nosy...

still learn'n

It is a 2003 we got it from a auto and truck dealer in Illinois it has a few drawers in the left front compartment and it has a vmac under the hood air compressor! The remote and most of the electronic equipment for the crane was gone! Hey I don't mind the questions! Jerry

inthedirt

so this has nothing to do with trucks... there was a Home Depot about 1/4 mile from the Cat dealer where your truck came from. Several times I had to fix an excavator that was finishing teardown on the HD. Kinda wierd pulling up and driving your service truck onto the glossy polished concrete floor and drive between the orange rack (with merchandise STILL hanging on them!) and put tracks back together for the customer.

Anywho... put some pic up when you get her all fixed up!

still learn'n

ok will have to do that! So they tore the concrete out on the hd to? I suppose they wouldn't just rebuild on it! Jerry