• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Left vs. Right hand cab

icestationzebra

I have been wondering if there is any specific reason why early machines had cabs on either side, but eventually excavators,cranes and draglines have evolved to left hand cabs while other machines like rope shovels have right hand cabs?

ISZ

catd8t

Occupation
bulldozer excuvator operator
i think it just became the standard just like the cab on a loader being on the backhalf

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I heard somewhere it's got something to do with the early cable machines being set up that way because the engines turned one direction and all the mechanicals were thus on the left hand side to keep the drums turning the same direction. Early hydraulic machines were sort of a hybrid mechanical drive/hydraulic, for instance my old Bantam C450 had friction swing and track drive but the work group was all hydraulic. It had all the clutches for the drive on the left hand side of the machine, yet you shared the cab with the reduction drive chain box on the right side of the machine, but I would imagine they could have put it on what ever side they wanted as the mechanical drive all came from a hydraulic motor anyway. I would imagine all the old line american manufacturers left the cab on the right hand side because that's the way it had been done but then they migrated to the left for some reason or another... Now if only we could all agree on one control pattern.......... Even Caterpillar's excavator prototype (I think it was called the 625X-1) had the cab on the right hand side...

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall Link-Belt cranes always had the cabs on the left side. I think Lorain cranes were also on the left side. All the Koehring hydraulic machines I've worked on had the cab on the right side.

I think what settled most all the excavators on the left side cab was the quality of the Japanese excavators. Since Japan Inc. decided all excavators would be left side cab and the industry bought so many of them, they just became the standard.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A Custom Shop machine built specially for the movie apparently. Read a story on it somewhere that the cab had to be on the RH side because that's the side the camera would be fliming from.

https://www.rermag.com/news-analysi...xcavator-featured-in-latest-bond-film-skyfall

For the film, the 320D L was customized with the cab on the opposite side as requested by EON Productions, the James Bond production company. “The cab switch, required for the location of the shoot and interaction between characters, took several months of pre-planning,”

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Cab does not have a Typical Factory Built look to it
Also appears either Guards or Catwalks on boom cylinders

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Yes, cat walks on the boom. All the stunts they have done in movies but the excavator needs cat walks on the boom. Lots of phony stuff in movies but that was ridiculous.