• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Largest Caterpillar Sidebooms

Gavin84w

Well we may just have pics of the 2 built here. You can see on the Conexpo pic and also the spec sheet pic the undercarriage is cut to allow access to the idler cap bolts, check 992G,s pic and see how they are not, maybe a small difference and the 2 supposed machines built.

992G

The pic I took was looking into Cat's yard in Peoria. The year was late 1989. When I started reading this post, I had to start looking through my 35mm print's. As it goes it was one of the last pic's I found. I wish I had more of this one, but that was it.

I remember seeing this machine and it was big. We thought at the time it was based off a D11 due to it's size. The two machines on it's side were new 10N's if I remeber correctly. Then the one machine that is the second from it's left was another pipelayer.

Northart

Cat 591 specs

Some more interesting specs.

The Cat D9L-14Y Series had a 3412 engine @ 460 hp.
Built from 1981-'98

The Cat D10N-2YD Series had a 3412 engine @ 520 hp.
Built 1987-'93

The Cat D11N, 1st came out in 1993 with a 3508 engine,@770 hp.

The Original Cat D10 came out in 1977-'86 with a D348 engine at 700 hp.

Northart

Theory

My theory is that the Cat 591 was based on the Original Cat D10 and had 2 versions.

One with the Cat 3412 engine rated at 460 hp.

And a second with the Cat 3412 engine rated at 520 hp.

Just from studying the data. :beatsme:):usa

Does that sound right ?:)

Gavin84w

Definently D9L based, the easiest way to tell is the transmission is mounted the same as a D9L with the majority of it and the bevel gear inside the frame/case. D10 had the trans external and hanging out the back, also the 2 filter canisters are D9L and the D10 did not have this.

The track frames are definently D10 84W series with an extra set of bogies and i bet the guy who modifies D11,s down heer with V12 engines would like to get himself a set of them!

tctractors

Side Booms

AtlasRob there is a Co near me that has a fair heap of pipe layers, there is way over 200 D8K based units, about 65 D9H based booms and a great ruck of high drive + Komatsu bangers, plus all the usual other bits and pieces that pass through, there is also a 591 about somewhere belonging to the man, these tractors get sent all over the World to perform, just thought I would mention that I worked for a pipe line Co for a good bit in the 70's and the hours I worked in a week was un-true, the Cleveland trenchers were great trenchers, simple light and easy to keep working, I loved the work and the money was off the scale.

tctractors

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
there is a Co near me that has a fair heap of pipe layers, ............ these tractors get sent all over the World to perform,
tctractors

Thanks tc, I saw in another post pics of a 583 and also a photo of the label on the side of it or another piece, and it was Warwickshire, UK. I was :jawdrop to find companies in UK sending pipeline gear out to the people that invented pipelines ;) then I remembered that the booms and blades we had in Algeria in 79 were supplied from a company in the midlands. I am suprised to hear how many booms there are near you, but I suppose if the man has the contacts then its only a boat ride away, :D

tctractors

Pipe kit.

AtlasRob, I think the C'o have about 350 Side Booms, near all their haulage is done by Heanor Heavy Haulage, they also have loads of pipe stringing tractors, with the rubber tracks, (CAT 65/75/85's)

tctractors

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
AtlasRob, I think the C'o have about 350 Side Booms, near all their haulage is done by Heanor Heavy Haulage, they also have loads of pipe stringing tractors, with the rubber tracks, (CAT 65/75/85's)

tctractors

WOW! thats some plant yard, just got home from a trip up country doing the relations thing, ;) :drinkup
As you mention Heanor's I put a short vid on yu tub of them pulling out of services on M27 for Southampton with a Terex TR100 dumptruck.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S_aIEwreIAM for those with dial up there will be picts shortly in dumptrucks. :drinkup

CarterKraft

I wonder if they don't have ROPs for two reasons.

1. are they classified as cranes instead of earthmovers?

2. there might not be a strong enough structure in place hold the entire weight of the machine, counter weights included, or the structure required to hold that weight would be to cumbersome and would likely be removed by the customer anyway if it wasn't required.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Where were the pictures of the booms taken at rob? If you don't mind me asking.

A friend of mine just come back from running the Bending in New York and said the High Tracks were hard to keep the nose on the ground on the steep ground. Anyone else heard of that?

You should load one on a Lowboy.I loaded a straight high track dozer with no blade.It does seem to want to flip over back wards.As for the rollover protection.A company in Houston had to install them to work on one pipeline.
Guess the safety dept.thought all machines had to have them.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I worked on a pipeline where Okeama {not sure a spelling} in the 90s were still using the old cat side booms with winches standard shift trannys and pony motor.

nmboomhand

Occupation
Pipeline equipment operator, mainly sidebooms
I wonder if they don't have ROPs for two reasons.

1. are they classified as cranes instead of earthmovers?

2. there might not be a strong enough structure in place hold the entire weight of the machine, counter weights included, or the structure required to hold that weight would be to cumbersome and would likely be removed by the customer anyway if it wasn't required.

Carter

I was lead (led?) to believe the reason they don't have R.O.P.S. is they are considered cranes by OSHA. I was also told that these companies CANNOT legally put ROPS on them unless they are made that way from the manuf. Reason for this is, you cannot alter/modify existing equipment manufactured.
They have a stout under carriage, but they will flip all the way over. That boom'll snap in a heartbeat!! Pretty stupid oper if he lets his tractor flip on him tho. There is a difference from turning over and flippin, btw.

nmboomhand

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
What machine is the 587t built from? It is a replacement for a 583, it is one size smaller than the 594, I have ran both units. FYI the 583 has a 3-part block and the 594 has a 4- part block. The 583 will actually pick it's own weight up and walk with it, a 594 will not do that. the 583 was known for being a totally balanced machine thus being able to carry it's own weight.

nmboomhand

Occupation
Pipeline equipment operator, mainly sidebooms
What machine is the 587t built from? It is a replacement for a 583, it is one size smaller than the 594, I have ran both units. FYI the 583 has a 3-part block and the 594 has a 4- part block. The 583 will actually pick it's own weight up and walk with it, a 594 will not do that. the 583 was known for being a totally balanced machine thus being able to carry it's own weight.

He was asking what machine it was built FROM ... not replace. The 587T is built from a hi track D8 dozer frame. All the low track booms were better balanced than these hi track P.O.S. that Cat gives us now. They raised the center of gravity, increased the weight up hi and built short dozer style track frames. Then Cat says they're better? Give me the older style cross clutchable tractors anyday!!

The low track 572's and 83's were both very well balanced. The 571's and 94's were better balanced than what is out there now, but they would ALL carry their own weight. A 94 weighs 62 tons and can lift 100 ... successfully carry 80 ... think about it. Ditch caver from HELL!! :bash