• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Largest Caterpillar Sidebooms

egoman

Occupation
pipeline and heavy industrial pipefitter
wow I have worked pipeline for most of my adult life and I have never seen anything like that pipe carrier rig.We were shut down for 3 weeks in the fall because the stringing trucks couldnt get through. I doubt this machine would have helped but it would have been fun to watch.

QuAD

If you study the spec-sheets of Cat you can reed this out of it.

500 - Pipelayer

9- Dozer

1- undercarriage

591 : D9L- D10
589 : D8L - D9L
578 : D7H -D8L

The new one's I think are more and more machines of there one, but in the 583R and 583T I see the D8R and D8T , special when you look at the engine covers.
The 587R and T looks for me more as the D9R and T.

Here a pic from the 591.
So far as I now there where two of them but both are scraped.
If someone went to the Conexpo "81 and take pics from it please post them here I building a model in 1:50 scale from it and need more information.

Attachments

• 591.jpg
    591.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 6,285

Northart

Quad's Picture

Hello Quad,

That's your picture I posted on the Cat pipe carrier. Do you have any info on it?

The Cat 591 Pipelayer serial number was 98Y00277 made 1989.

At least that is the listing for it .

I thought I had a picture of it at the Conexpo. Searched all over and could not find it.

Northart

591 build date ?

Hello Quad,

My book , 2009 Serial Number Guide 41st edtion. Published by Equipment Watch, Says 1989, for the Cat 591 Pipelayer.

The Con-expo shows in Las Vegas started in 1981.

I am sure I saw an internet picture of the 591, at the Conexpo show. I cannot find it.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
weight control

Do the weights on those high drives swing out on what looks like an upright hinge at the back edge.
First of all I thought those 4 carrying the pipe had no weights on them, then looking at the pic of QuADs it looks like they are shaped over the track and pivot out.

See somebody nicked the set off the 594 :Banghead

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Cat 591 Pipelayer

If the serial number prefix is 98Y, that makes sence, as the D9L had a 14Y prefix. The D9L was discontinued in 1987, so would't something in 1989 been based are a D10N? The D10N was prefix 2YD. If the D10N had 520HP & the 591 had 520HP then this machine would based in the D110N.

350000 lbs capacity is increadable, you could easly carry another complete D9 with this machine.

Hello Quad,

That's your picture I posted on the Cat pipe carrier. Do you have any info on it?

The Cat 591 Pipelayer serial number was 98Y00277 made 1989.

At least that is the listing for it .

I thought I had a picture of it at the Conexpo. Searched all over and could not find it.

Last edited:

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Pipelayer undercarriages

Hello Quad,

First time I have seen a photo of The 591, awsome looking machine. The grille and headlights look similar to D9L.
Where did you find this photo?

It appears that on the high drive machines, the machine uses 1 size larger undercarriage.
578= D7/D8 track.
589 = D8/D9 track
591= D9/D10 track

I love the fact that these machines still have the old style steering levers through the floorboards (Like a TD25)

Dug

If you study the spec-sheets of Cat you can reed this out of it.

500 - Pipelayer

9- Dozer

1- undercarriage

591 : D9L- D10
589 : D8L - D9L
578 : D7H -D8L

The new one's I think are more and more machines of there one, but in the 583R and 583T I see the D8R and D8T , special when you look at the engine covers.
The 587R and T looks for me more as the D9R and T.

Here a pic from the 591.
So far as I now there where two of them but both are scraped.
If someone went to the Conexpo "81 and take pics from it please post them here I building a model in 1:50 scale from it and need more information.

Last edited:

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Cat pipelayers w/acelerator pedel/vs decelerator

These are the only track machines that I know of that had the throtle controled by an acelerator. In about 1989/1990 Kiewit Pacific Co. did a large diameter water pipe line in San Marcos Ca. They had two New 589's setting what I believe was about 15 miles of 96" RCP pipe over quite a few steep hills.

One hill on "Paint Mountain" had to be about 1 to 1 slope, you could not even walk up it! & they had a rookie on the machine. The regular operator was off. The rookie flipped the machine straight over backwards by pushing the throttle all the way. The only thing that saved him, was that he was carrying a large ballast box that kept the machine from landing completly flat on the hood. I use the term rookie lighty as he may have been a good dozer operator,but had never been on a pipelayer.

I have some snapshots of the machine, not the rollover though.
I'll post them someday if I ever figure out to scan them.

I never understood why these machine don't have some sort of roll protection? Could it be the winch/cable postion?

Dug

Gavin84w

The 591 did indeed make it,s debut at Conexpo 81. I have just dug out my bound volume of Dealer magazines and it is on the cover. It,s interesting to see on the pic Ad posted the idler caps are fully covered by the track frames, exactly how the original D10,s were. The pic on the front cover of the mag i have shows exposed idler caps, ie the track frames have been cut to allow access, maybe there is your 1st and 2nd machine. It states in the article it is D10 sized but it is definently D9L based. If you look at Quads pic it appears to have 5 sets of bogies and also the D9L debuted at this show.

I,m not a pipelayer guy by a long shot but will get my first diecast when the 572C from Norscot eventually gets here.

Last edited:

992G

Is this the pipelayer everyone is talking about?

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 10,254
Occupation
Pipeline construction.
Roll bars !! On booms

The 572R's and the 587T's down here in the south have roll over protection above the operators head yet out of the boom line.
I see these guys put a half sheet of plywood on top there for sun shade..
You know the 587 & 589 had hyd. cylinders to raise & lower the boom.
All else uses a cable for the boom.
I've ran a 3T7 & a TD18 International on the pipeline now I own 10 cleveland trencher and cut trench for contractors.. Seen any old wheel trenchers laying out in a field???? Let me know PLEASE...........

QuAD

I think 992G hit the jackpot.

The pic I have from the back of the 591 was taking at Conexpo 81.

Looks the same to me.

Attachments

• 591 1.jpg
    591 1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 5,167

Northart

Cat 591 Specs

Here's some interesting specs on the Cat 591 sideboom. Found in the Caterpillar Performance Handbook, (CPH)

It was listed in 1981,'82 @ 460 hp

Then listed in 1986,'87,'88 @ 520 hp.

Strange it is not even listed in the Caterpillar Serial/Product Identification Number Index, (SEBF9451-28), printed in 2-02, which goes way back to the Holt Tractors.

Attachments

• Former Sidebooms 1.jpg
    Former Sidebooms 1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 14,342
  • Former Sidebooms 2.jpg
    Former Sidebooms 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 4,411