• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu Serial Number check Please

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It is an import and supply issue to go along with the labor issue. Politics and logistics make it cost effective to build machines in Europe rather than in Japan and shipping to the other side of the world. Komatsu has been buying, building and taking over factories and companies since the sixties.

Welder Dave

They partnered with BE for excavators and IH for loaders while developing their own and then cut ties with them. Proved to be a good move on the excavators but the IH loaders were good machines in their own right. Gave them the Z bar linkage. GM had to break up Terex because of competition laws and I wonder the way things are going if in a few years you have maybe 4 players in heavy equipment?

John C.

Occupation
The technology tie up with BE was in 1963 to 1981. It apparently didn't do much as the BE excavators were nothing like any Komatsu I put hands on. The joint partnership with IH was just a way to buy the factories in this country. IH was mis-managed to the point of bankruptcy and thought that the partnership was just another refinance. Turned out it was just a delayed purchase. Z bar linkage went out of patent in the sixties and Komatsu built Hough under license for the off shore markets anyway. Komatsu designed and built their own excavator line independent of all others. They didn't design from a catalog like all the rest of the builders still do.

GM was forced to sell Euclid by the anti-trust suit in the fifties and GM then formed the Terex brand to build the same trucks but not for sale in the US for a period of years. Terex sold the truck line off to Hitachi years ago. It's really not relevant to the discussion in this day and age.

Azkaz

Hi can some one please tell me which year my Komatsu motor grader was manufactured in ?

KOMATSU GD625A
S.NO:KOM00511

John C.

Occupation
That number doesn't make sense for my reference. The reference shows it should have five digits. Something like 50011. That model was built between 1987 to 1991 if that helps any.

jMitchell86

Can I get a look up on a possible grey market?
PC45R-8 s/n: 5026

Can anyone also tell me what the R-8 stands for?

Thanks!

John C.

Occupation
The -8 is the model designation and it usually gives you what kind of electronics and hydraulic package is installed. Your serial number indicates the machine is likely a gray market machine. Serial numbers for US machines started at 5537 in 1998.

RAH7777777

John C, Can you look up forklift info as well?

I have a Komatsu forklift with serial number 110772 (I believe)
Can't find any info on it at all besides that.

Serial number plate on the motor has been ground down, is this ever done for grey market? or did someone steal it many years ago?
(I had to scrape off years of dirt and gunk to see the serial number plate on the engine)

THANK YOU!!!

John C.

Occupation
Even with all the reference materials I have, I have never been able to source something that covers fork lifts for any brand. Sorry:(

MrEvilPirate

Thank you for looking up all these numbers. One more please?
Komatsu PC75UU-2E

This is a machine I am looking at buying anyway to check if it is "clean" or not? Will a dealer give me any info? Just want to make sure it is not stolen and no lien.

John C.

Occupation
My references don't cover gray market machines. I have no way of knowing a year other than it is an older unit. A dealer might be able to tell you something about it. You will have to check the state for a UCC filing. You can check Machinery Trader on the stolen equipment page. You might also check with an insurance company to see if they will look it up on the their data bases.

MrEvilPirate

My references don't cover gray market machines. I have no way of knowing a year other than it is an older unit. A dealer might be able to tell you something about it. You will have to check the state for a UCC filing. You can check Machinery Trader on the stolen equipment page. You might also check with an insurance company to see if they will look it up on the their data bases.
Are you saying it is gray market for sure? That is very helpful thank you.