• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu pc50 control panel - can they be repaired?

gwhammy

Bringing up an old thread! The gauges on my 2007 komatsu just quit working. They will come on very randomly but don't work again if you shut the key off. Does anyone have an answer for this problem. I really don't want to go to the dealer if possible.

Delmer

There is a member on here who does electronics repairs like this I believe. He's not here everyday, and might be hard to find, but I'll try to come back to this thread with his info if I find it.

Electronics repair isn't always hard, if you know a HAM or somebody else who messes with that sort of thing they might be able to help you out. Or learn it on you tube.

Keith Powell

Just some information, on my machine I can switch machine on and unplug/plug in master fuse located at battery compartment (red fuse) and panel will come on. Sometimes it will stay on after I crank machine, sometimes not. If it doesn't stay on after cranking I repeat procedure until it stays on. Leads me to believe it is not the panel itself but maybe a relay that doesn't reset until all power is removed.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
My first impression of the description of the problem is dirty contacts on the harness connector going into the panel.

Keith Powell

John C, I have removed gauge panel cleaned contacts and applied non conductive grease to the plug, same thing no change. My knowledge of electronics is very limited, but I hate to give up when panel will work on occasion.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
@Kieth Powell: If you can post up some close-up sharp pics of the board... all sides. Sometimes there will be an obvious problem that can be visually identified.

gwhammy

Mines a open cab, I'm sure moisture has gotten into it. Last summer it quit for quit a while but finally started working again after setting out in the hot sun for a few weeks. Next rain it quit again and hasn't worked since. I tried to take it off but never figured out quite how.

Keith Powell

Gw, I took a rotary file and cut a slot in the black part of the plastic panel holding gauge panel where it will slide over armrest support. Now I can just take the two Allen head screws out of the armrest and slide the panel over the armrest support. Then you have to unscrew top nut on switch and remove it. Panel has a plug under the bottom.

gwhammy

Thanks for the info, what I would really like to do is just get a cab machine. I hate setting in the cold.

Hartmanbuildspa

I was following this because I had the same problem and thought I'd share. What I ended up doing was checking the power at the harness. I had constant 12 V on one pin and then keyed 12 V on the next pin in the harness. Ended up buying a new panel, plugged it in, now everything works like it should.....

bunkclimber

take the module out of the machine, and where the connector plugs into the board in the module, access the circuit board inside..use a soldering iron to carefully reflow(re-melt) the solder joints..vibration can make for fine cracks in the electrical connections from stress put on the connector and plug, it causes intermittent failures and hard to diagnose trouble. I find this same problem on other equipment that has electronic modules in it.

Hi guy's if you are still having problems with your printed circuits take them out and reconnect them
to the loom, darken the area or if indoors turn off all lights and examine the panel in total darkness
with the power on and look for bright arcing around the solder joints (known as dry joints) A small
very small blob of solder should cure the problem....:)

bunkclimber

be careful with adding solder to an existing board..since the 90's the solder formulation has changed to newer 93/7 alloy,its not all 60/40 like it was years ago..the industry is changing to less lead and more tin in the solder and adding 60/40 to a 93/7 joint will cause strength problems in the joint if not destroying the alloy of the existing solder..just reflow it(just touch the tip to the joint) with the pencil point of the soldering iron to reflow the existing solder.The 93/7 solder melts at a higher temp and a lot of the older irons won't touch it.Some of the boards are static sensitive so do be aware of that,just use careful caution when pulling them out and working on them.

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
All good info, My son has been fixing all of ours by resoldering, hes an electronic design engineer, smart kid, not that im proud or anything.LOL

laycobeau

Occupation
Lead electronic technician
Sounds like cracked solder on your connectors where they solder to the boards. Might take it to a TV or Audio
repair shop or if you know someone who plays with electronics. Cracked solder starts every once in a while and just gets worse. Just a thought.