• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC40 MR-1 hydraulics slowing down while using

DanL

I recently purchase a used 2001 Komatsu PC40 MR-1 (MRX-1) and it is only going to be used as a farm machine.
The machine initially runs really well and all functions are in line with expectations for a 19 year old machine.

However after using the machine for around 10 minutes, the boom, arm and bucket hydraulics slow dramatically. Temps are fine, engine is still humming along and nothing else seems to be wrong, however as an example it may take 15-20 seconds for the arm to go from fully extended to fully retracted.

I don't expect miracles from an old machine, but the speed is acceptable when I start using it and power seems fine. If I refer to the service manual and check the expected speed of each of the functions, it should take only 4 seconds to fully extend or fully retract at full engine revs. As its an older machine this may be 4.5 seconds on initial use, but certainly nothing to complain about.

But all of a sudden the speed drops way down and waiting 15-20 seconds for a boom or arm to extend/retract is a real issue.

If I stop the machine and check levels and temps everything is OK. If I leave it for 20 minutes and start it up again, the speed is back to normal but it will slow again after the same period of time.

There are a few small leaks in the hoses which I am getting repaired. For example, the bucket extension hose drips about 2-3 drips a minute under load, but hydraulic oil levels are still well within tolerance. Could this be causing a depressurisation and subsequent speed loss?

Could it be overheating the hydraulic oil?
Could there be a blockage in the supply/return lines?

I have already replaced the Hydraulic and Power line Filter and plan to replace the strainer next.
Any other ideas from the brains trust?

Jgm

I would put some gauges on it, to check the pressures, when oil is cold it is normal the pressure is higher and operate normal, when oil is hot it's thinner and would cause a pressure drop, ex. If pump is worn.

Jgm

How is the shield, and tracks when the problem occurs, do they operate normal or slow as well?

DanL

I would put some gauges on it, to check the pressures, when oil is cold it is normal the pressure is higher and operate normal, when oil is hot it's thinner and would cause a pressure drop, ex. If pump is worn.
I think I'll have to accept that the issue is beyond my mechanical capability to identify and/or fix. I've got a hydraulic mechanic coming out to check the pressures and determine what the issue may be.
Could the wrong oil cause a problem?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Take and post a photo of the pumps on here. I haven't worked on those machines so don't know for sure the configuration of the pumps. Usually there is a piston pump with a couple of gear pumps pigging backed on that. A photo or two would allow me to possibly make some meaningful thoughts on the problem and things to check before resorting to tearing the machine apart.