• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC40-6 cooling fan flow

Rob Gunn

Komatsu PC40-6 excavator SN:13942 with 3 cylinder diesel engine model 3D95S-W-1 SN:21475

For some reason the plastic radiator cooling fan exploded. I contacted the “MYKOMATSUPARTS” and was told that the replacement fan would be #600-625-0410. That also matched what I was able to find via Komatsu parts book v5.0 on line.

I ordered it last week and received it today.
Now that I open the box I see a difference in old vs new. The old fan was the same outer diameter as the new one (approximately 16”). The hole mounting for the water pump appears to be the same. However the old fan was 6 blade and the new fan is 8 blade.

And the biggest difference is the opposite air flow due to the blades. The old fan would blow from engine compartment toward the radiator and out. The new fan would suck from outside thru the radiator and into the engine compartment.

Im not real confident in the parts guy and what I was told…
I do understand that sometimes manufacturers will make hidden changes that may be a improvement but this just seems odd to me. Any input from any experts?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You should probably try to talk to the parts guy again and ask if there are updates on that fan. I didn't work at all on the Komatsu minis but changing the flow of air through the radiator strikes me as odd as well. You could also talk to someone in the service department as well. All that might go out the window though if your machine is gray market.

Rob Gunn

I now find that I need to replace the Radiator on this Komatsu PC40-6 excavator SN:13942. I got a response from “MYKOMATSUPARTS” and was told $1800. OK I hate to sound like a total cheap-ass but wholly-chit! I realize that parts for mid to heavy equipment is expensive but $1800 for a radiator? Most any automotive or ag tractor radiator would be around $150 - $400, not $1800. Anyone out there know where I could find a more reasonable replacement? New or Used? I may try to fix what I have but I haven't had much luck in the past with patching radiators. Please offer any help available.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
A good radiator shop could replace the core if that's what is required and use the top and bottom tanks so long as they are the copper type. Plastic tanks the shops I know won't reuse them.

wedoelectrical

My radiator shop fitted a new radiator core from a Komatsu forklift. Unfortunately I don’t have anymore information. Cost about $800 AUD a few years ago.