• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC200-8 hydraulic issues

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Back in december, we had a really cold spell for us. Cold enough that my fuel gelled in my 200 when i was trying to bust ice in ponds. The next week, after it warmed some, still below freezing but above 0 degrees, got it running, and let it warm up a while. Hydraulic temp gauge got up around normal. Had a guy get on it, while i wasnt there, and said it operated normally at first. then got where it didn't have much power pushing stick out. Hyd temp gauge went all the way down at that point so he parked it. I have used it some since. Stick out still doesn't have much power (crowd cylinder has been leaking externally for some time, so figured i'd have to repack it). hyd temp gauge does not rise at all. Sometimes bogs motor using boom/stick functions. And weirdest of all, one track motor seems really weak UNLESS you use another function at same time... It doesnt matter, boom, stick, bucket or swing... Do any of those, and it will travel straight. If you don't use one of the other functions, the right travel motor seems weak.

Any ideas where to start??? This is my primary machine. Have had since new, and I have been main operator since new.

Thanks in advance. Randy

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Got a tiny bit of moisture frozen somewhere in the hydraulic system that needs to thaw out??
I kind of wondered that when it first happened. But that was before Christmas, and i've used it several times since. on some 60 degree days.

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Do you know how to check the diagnostics?

I know how to get into the diagnostics, in fact figured out how to change my climate control from Celsius back to Farenheit (I have no idea how it got changed in first place) but dont really know what to look for as far as Hydraulic issues.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Komatsu excavators don't move much oil unless they are working. They don't have a real warm up function in them except for running a function over relief for a bit and then working other functions to spread the warmed up oil around some. Cold oil causes to goofy stuff to happen sometimes.

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Komatsu excavators don't move much oil unless they are working. They don't have a real warm up function in them except for running a function over relief for a bit and then working other functions to spread the warmed up oil around some. Cold oil causes to goofy stuff to happen sometimes.

I've had some experiences with that. U usually will do crowd and bucket until it warms some. I have loaded or unloaded with it cold a few times, and it can get squirrley on a 8' wide lowboy to say the least. But now, hydraulic temp gauge will not come off bottom even after running it an hour at over 60 degrees. Which is very abnormal for this machine.

A few years ago, had a Komatsu Mechanic do what he called a "power tune" on it. Since then, hyraulics run warmer than before. Would actually get to HOT stage if you didn't know how to run it. But it increased the power and speed noticably.

Ive been around a couple other machines, that would not track straight unless you held a boom function to a relief. But they weren't mine, so i never much worried about it...