• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

komatsu pc200-3

richie

Hello, was wondering if any ever converted a long control stick (komatsu pc200-3) to a wrist control type. Was wondering if any electrical or pumps would need to be changed or added. Machine is an 86-87 .Thanks

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
that sounds like alot of work because the long sticks are directly connected to the valves and the wrist type are pilot operated. You would need alot of interior parts because that safety lever is part of the left wrist control, might need a different computer or dash assembly... then you would need all the pumps and valves and lines for the pilots.

I think a salesman is your best bet to install a pilot control system for you. He will show you where to sign.

Last edited:

richie

No its just got these long sticks, kinda like a backhoe, and they move like 12 inches to boom up or down, stick in or out and you get worn out in 8 hours of running it. Ive used my buddys machine (not a komatsu) and its so much nicer when all you got to do is move your wrists.

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
I get it now.......... you want to convert from manual control linkage to pilot controls.

richie

Ya. I got a shop manual that kinda shows both kind of controls. The picture though is not the greatest, but i see that the long controls control the ppc shuttle valve with linkages and the joystick controls have the ppc shuttle valve directly connected to it. The only problem that i see is the boom control has a long rod that goes to the pump for control of that function, and the joystick i dont know. Havent found a machine that i can look at to see what the joystick one does, and if theres any thing electrical need for that.

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
So this machine has pilot controls now but uses long sticks instead of joy stick controls? Were joysticks a option or is there a serial number break when there use started?

Last edited:

richie

I understand what u mean. Just thought it might be able to do it since the machine came both ways for that year.

richie

Ya joysticks were an option, dont know why anyone would want long sticks but that what it has. My manual shows both but does not say much about it. Didnt want to ask dealer cause all there going to say is no buy a new machine. Wish i could but not able to. Runs really good just hard on ya over time with them big sticks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The long handled control units were generally known as chicken legs around here and were only on gray market machines. I don't remember a chicken leg machine in a Dash 3 ever being pilot operated but I could very easily have forgotten them or be mistaken.

In either case it never paid to change them over when you could get the parts to do it. The only other way for it to work is to find a joy stick machine and mate it to yours. Of course the amount of labor involved is extensive and the headaches making sure it is right when you are done would make a different machine much more cost effective.

Good Luck!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm not sure of what way this is being referred to in the original post. What Ritchie may be referring to as PPC shuttles are actually the PPC valves or in our language the pilot control valves under the joy sticks. The shuttles are something different.

Many times when you operate a function or multiple functions you have to actuate more that one item or operate a switch. Other times you want to operate a switch no matter which way you run something.

An example of the first situation was for the straight travel function. Since each pump feeds one track only, if you were to operate something else, say the stick, the machine would turn to one direction as the oil from the pump that supplied both the stick and one travel would turn slower. In pilot operated machines the straight travel valve was operated by that PPC shuttle and joined the flow from both pumps together and the whole machine would slow down but the travel would still go straight. In the old linkage machines and many of the pilot machines the straight travel valve was operated by manual switches mounted on the travel pedals. They were a pain as they kept getting dirty and the stems would stick keeping the straight travel on all the time.

Another use was the swing brake. Instead of using a pressure switch in each circuit you just put a shuttle in the pilot circuit and the third hole would have the switch installed.