• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC160LC-7K hydraulic/engine trouble

ugis

Hi there!
PC160LC-7K
S/N K40627

I have some long lasting and slowly increased (about 1000h ago) and difficult to explain problems with engine and hydraulic operation.

Engine-
I already know part of the solution might be to this problem, but I would like to hear a different point of view before I dismantle it.
The engine will start very poorly when heated.
In winter, cold start even at -20C is no problem. Even if the engine is noticeably warm but has not been operated for a long hours, it can be started immediately.
It is very difficult to start just after working in hot conditions for a long hours.
No smoke, no lack of power, etc.
I think the fuel injection pump is to blame. It heats up and fails to provide the required productivity.
It should be mentioned that the engine "knocks" at start-up, but it is a little lacking to start.
I just haven't checked the valve clearances, but I doubt it can have that effect.

Hydraulic-
In short, when the hydraulics heat up properly, it create a high load on the engine, even if no function or movement is operated.
This load disappears when I try to move the boom sideways-swing motor. A little light touch of the joystick completely disappears the load. When the joystick is released (depending on how hot the hydraulics are) the load reappears and can even stop the engine.
When the hydraulics are cold, they operate much less normally.
It often happens that the boom cannot be moved to the side. It just stuck and swing motor do not work, but boom moves sideways if there are any force. In other words- boom moves freely and the excavator does not block it, cant move it either.

I believe that it is not possible to give precise advice on where exactly the problem is, but at least a rough direction.

It should be noted that there was metal debris when changing the hydraulic oil in the suction filter.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Free floating debris will always cause problems. How many hours are on the machine? What was the prior failure that caused the debris in the oil? Has the fuel system on the engine ever been rebuilt?

Hello.
I have had 3 customers with simmilar problem.
Long story short there are 2 throttles in midle section of controle valve that drains LS pressure when in neutral possition. They hawe fine mesh filters and when they get cloged, the LS psressure tehe system rises, pump is activated thats whay yu cant crank it ower, best case scenario. Took a week for the first time to solw this, but stil it had some problems. Still 2 of them has some problems in sections of the controle valve cous of damage from contamination, LS coneced to pressure it stil rises but not to a point wher engine is owerloaded. You can chec it by pressure reading on monitor when cold it should be not mor than 30bar, heated up it is ok if it goes up to 70 (in service manual this is maintenace walue) if it goes to 120 and mor 4 cilinder cummins wont start ewen after rebuild.