• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu mini questions and intro..

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If you are referring to the top pic- the cords are broken in the track and then they get out of sync as the bars stretch apart and eventual the point on the sprocket will ride on the bar and not in the hole... probably why the the top roller failed. That picture makes it look like it is on the bars, the other side works fine.
I found out that Viqan will send me two new tracks for around $1600-shipping included and I'm waiting on a response from Dominion who the United Rental shop manager says he uses and he likes their product.
I changed the oil today, greased it and found out that I had three broken zirk fittings, one bearing wouldn't take grease as the bearing grease hole didn't align. Fixed and greased..
Anyone found that the threads are a bit different on the zirks? 1/8 pipe thread or metric?

All grease fittings on that machine are going to be British Metric Pipe Taper (BMPT). It goes back to the Coloniel times of the British Empire and it's colonies around the world. Japan, as well as other Asian countries, still us British specs on their machines. BMPT is very close to National Pipe Thread (NPT) that's used in the U.S., but there's just enough difference to be different. Just for the heck of it, call Robin at Rubbertrax (www.rubbertrax.com) and get a price on tracks. Let us know how their price compares.

Elbonk

Occupation
Electrician
Interesting, I used the 1/8 die out of my little cheap tap set to chase the threads, it is almost like the taper is smaller on the OEM fittings.. The PO had a lot of the hoses spliced vs complete replacement as he said it was tough finding the right fittings.
I also noticed that some hoses are small and some are larger. I am assuming the original hoses were smaller than the replacement hoses and some may be smaller due to less volume required.
I will check with the rubbertrax on Monday and let you know. I had a local friend recommend Les Schwab as he said he was real happy with the service and the tracks were Firestone.
Thanks for the input.

Elbonk

Occupation
Electrician
maybe!

I didn't look at them that closely, but now that you mention it, something don't look right they way that track is riding on the sprocket. Wrong track for the sprocket??? Someone has installed rubber tracks on a steel track undercarriage??? Hmmm.

After some back and forth with Alasdair @ VIQAN he came to the conclusion that it looks like I may have rubber tracks on a machine set up for steel tracks. I do recall the PO saying something about the tracks can knocked off if you are not careful. From what I understand the rubber tracks should have a roller which actually rolls on the lower flat of the metal inserts, not on the upright bar which mine rolls on and the "v" of the rollers and front rollers centers the track. So the right rollers should have a cross-section like an "H".
I am going to stick with what I have for now. Its worked up to this point..

HillBoy

Yes, I heard Komatsu excavators sometimes come with two different undercarriages. You have to be careful to get the right track for it. This is why the more reputable track companies should offer you two different rubber tracks for that machine based on what undercarriage you have and they should ask you about it before they try to sell you anything.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've seen that type of track before. One of my old customers bought a set from Les Schwab and the track kept coming off at nothing. I measured the width between the lugs and found they were not wide enought to straddle the front idler. They would ride up on the center step and then roll off when the machine was turned.

I contacted the salesman who was less than interested in hearing what I had to say. I ended up getting the right tracks for my customer when I contacted the supplier directly and gave him the necessary measurements.

The grease fitting issue is common to all the Japanese built machines. Just tap out the holes a little and the US made ones will go right in. You will also notice the Jap nipples don't fit the grease gun tip well and leak out real easy.

I was told that we required Japan to throw away their standards at the end of WWII as part of the surrender agreement and use US or European engineering standards. Now days they use several different standards.

Elbonk

Occupation
Electrician
Alasdair @ Viqan was the first person who questioned me on the gauge, number of tracks and then asked for more particulars, $1620 shipped for two. $22 more than les schwab's import-offbrand "heavy-quip". I had 55x300 x 81 in the "dominator" brand and 55x81x300 in the "Solid-deal" brand, the sprocket measured 52.5 ish' mm. Viqan has 52.5mmx84x300. I will post up later with all the prices-its confusing as I get emails back with no reference as to what company it is. A lot of these outfits are selling stuff through other venders. One outfit I called was selling the Viqans at a much higher price than I could get for myself.
John C.- you are right about the jap nipples just oozing the grease right back out. As for the tracks I have it looks like the were designed to work the way they are and ride just fine and fit perfect on the front idler and sprocket. I guess there are a lot of different ways to make a track go 'round.

Elbonk

Occupation
Electrician
Ok, below is a list of prices- I'll leave shipping off as VIQAN was the only one that would ship at no charge for two.

Rubbertracksusa.com Chinese track, one year warranty $873
Korean, two year warranty $1003
Dominion $905
McLaren $1200 or $1400 (Low and High Quality?)
Les Schwab $798 Chinese or $1087 Solideal (High Quality) local pickup
VIQAN $810 for one, 1620 for two free shipping.

I don't know what the quality of Les Schwab's Chinese track but VIQAN actual figured out I had a steel track undercarriage and also that the 55mm tracks I had on weren't what was specified for my machine, I ended up getting 52.5mm track gauge with 84 segments vs. 80 or 81 with 55mm gauge. I ordered on Tuesday and the came in on Thursday. They are smoother than what was on there before... Now to fix all the other stuff.. leaky fuel filter, leaky oil pressure gauge, plug on t-stat housing, change fuel filters and some day replace some bushings.. I love buying used stuff! Anyone want a free broken track?