• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu d41p sprocket rubbing ??

Deere Foreman

Hey guys, I've been lurking on here a long time and very much appreciate all of the info and knowledge floating around. This is the first instance where I may need a little help from someone more knowledgeable than myself on undercarriages. Thanks in advance for any input.
Late last year I purchased a 2002 Komatsu d41p-6, which has turned out to be a very solid machine. Upon initial inspection I did notice that the sprocket on the left hand side on the machine looked very close to what I will call the track frame... (part of the sheet metal frame directly in front of the sprocket). I'd say within 1/2" of the sprocket. The other side was 1 inch or better away. I didn't put much thought into it at the time, but it was noticable.
Now, after 100 or so hours of use, the sprocket is actually rubbing that piece of metal that is directly in front of it pretty hard. To the point its taken a lot of life off of the sprocket. On a side note, we do run the correct tension on the tracks, by komatsu spec. It stays wet around here and the undercarriage stays fairly muddy so it went unnoticed for a short while it looks. Ive parked the machine for the moment until I can sort it out.
My first impression was somehow the drive motor was bent/twisted forward... possibly from someone previously running the tracks entirly too tight for a long pieriod of time.... somehow bending it forward.. is that even possible? But the more I look at it, I cannot seem to find anything "bent" or out of order, other than the sprocket rubbing. The sprocket does not wobble when in use.
I cannot get the one picture I have of it actually rubbing uploaded, but i have included a couple of my dozer 20180521_144429.jpg Screenshot_20180521-144330.jpg 20180521_144429.jpg that I had on my phone that will give you an idea of what I mean. Will update when i can get a good picture of the damage tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks for any input at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180521-144728.jpg
    Screenshot_20180521-144728.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 17

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
I am not familiar with how the track frames are held on their dozers but that is what I would look at first.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I am not familiar with this model but like Theweldor said I would be looking at your track frame on that side. I'm thinking your track frame is moving back and hitting your sprocket. I would probably loosen the track tension and put some sort of forward pressure on the track frame and see if it moves. Just my $.02

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
As I look a little closer at your pics..... It looks like the track frame might be hard mounted to the main frame. (no pivot shaft or equalizer bar). If so, then it could be a bit of a 'head scratcher'.

Deere Foreman

I am headed out to the job site this morning, I'll see what better pictures I can get, thank you guys for the replies.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
Being a straight framed machine that track frame should pivot somewhere near the rear sprocket and have a hard bar or some type of mechanism to hold the front of the track frame parallel. One would think it would have a little vertical movement on the front of the rail to keep the ground pressure some what even when going over uneven terrain. Otherwise it place substantial stress on various components I would think you would want to avoid

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I am headed out to the job site this morning, I'll see what better pictures I can get, thank you guys for the replies.
Sprocket rubbing must be the only problem I have not heard about on the million dollar 41P next door , have you checked to see if there is an oil leak from your final drive seals , and that there is the full amount of oil on the side that's rubbing ? A difference in the oil age and colour between both sides may indicate somebody else has had a look why she's rubbing .