• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D37E-1 Dozer with Issues

Jay Yearwood

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a Komatsu D37E-1 Dozer with what I though was a bunch of minor issues but everyday i continue to find more. I am trying to find out the year. I have a serial number of 1014. Would the year be on the machine somewhere? I am also trying to find out the different fluids the machine uses and I do not have a manual for this and cannot find anything for this model online that is helpful. The major problem i have is a leak between the steering valve Assy. and plate it sits on. I am not sure if the orings but it leaks between these two items. Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I can't nail down the exact number but it looks like a 1987 or 1988 model year. Those machines used 30wt engine oil in all but the hydraulics. Hydraulics we generally used AW46 hydraulic oil in them. O rings were mostly standard thickness and sizes and are likely available at Komatsu dealers or hydraulic fitting places.

just-a-mechanic

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a Komatsu D37E-1 Dozer with what I though was a bunch of minor issues but everyday i continue to find more. I am trying to find out the year. I have a serial number of 1014. Would the year be on the machine somewhere? I am also trying to find out the different fluids the machine uses and I do not have a manual for this and cannot find anything for this model online that is helpful. The major problem i have is a leak between the steering valve Assy. and plate it sits on. I am not sure if the orings but it leaks between these two items. Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Try looking here. I have used this to look up parts for my D31P-20. Search for a local Komatsu dealer near you, they still have the parts for these machines, but it is going to cost you! At least you can see how it is put together using the parts manual below. I use an adblocker so I dont know if this site has many pop ups.

https://777parts.org/a1/

just-a-mechanic

I can't nail down the exact number but it looks like a 1987 or 1988 model year. Those machines used 30wt engine oil in all but the hydraulics. Hydraulics we generally used AW46 hydraulic oil in them. O rings were mostly standard thickness and sizes and are likely available at Komatsu dealers or hydraulic fitting places.

John,
Komatsu D31P-20 SN# 46799

Can you see what year my machine is? I was told about a 96. My tag is missing on my machine, so I dont know if it is a -20A or not etc...

68CC2F71-A6C9-4E71-BBFB-E0FB8F8EE188.jpeg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
My source says it is a 1996 model but doesn't distinguish as being a -20 or an A model at all. Doesn't matter though as all the dash 20 units are the same. The P is a low ground pressure unit with wider tracks and gauge.

just-a-mechanic

My source says it is a 1996 model but doesn't distinguish as being a -20 or an A model at all. Doesn't matter though as all the dash 20 units are the same. The P is a low ground pressure unit with wider tracks and gauge.

Thanks John!

the -20a I was referring to was the D31P-20a or D31P-20.

They are separate in the manuals but I haven’t really found any differences between them.

Thanks!