• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

komatsu 320-3 not switching gear

cfd511

Hello all, I have a Komatsu 320-3 that i just picked up . the machine runs great , goes into forward and reverse as it should but will not shift gears at all. I am new to loaders and have no idea where to start at all. The vin number appears to be #31722d but that’s all i can see on the plate.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Did you leave the letters out of the model designation. If it is a wheel loader it would be a WA320-3. A wheel dozer would be a WD or a loader backhoe would be a WB if there is such a thing as 320 loader backhoe.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Typical issues are electrical and hydraulic. Transmission has a dedicated pump that produces flow to engage clutch disks, charge the torque convert and lubricate all the shafts, bearings and gears. The electrical part is the controller in the cab which uses electricity to energize solenoid operated hydraulic valves that control the direction of hydraulic flow into hydraulic pistons that lock up the clutches as needed. You will need a service manual that gives you locations of the components and a diagram of how the system is laid out and works. For the electrical, I would suggest checking for circuit breaker and fuse panels. Checking the hydraulic system will require gauges and knowing where to plug them into the system.

I have a digital book if you don't already have one. PM me your email and I'll send you a link that you can down load it from.

cfd511

We replaced harness to solinoids and changed the gear shift console. Putting back together now to see of it works

cfd511

Do you know a mechanic will to travel to help fix this thing . We are going nuts and nearest dealer wants alot of money jus to look at it.