• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

komastu pc150-6 power loss

Davidblack515

well I have got a pc150-6 that has 66xx hours on it. It has felt down on power and sluggish and i was needing too run it on high out put too have the power i need out of it to just dig. So i checked the throttle link and it was a little loose so i tightened it up and gave it a few turns to run at a higher RPM in the general setting seem to be ok still boggs down some when i swing move the stick and dump the bucket all at the same time. but now when i put it in high out put it just runs at the higher rpms for two seconds then goes down to idle rpms for two seconds. Any help would be nice i am kind of worried this could be the first sign of a major problem or im doing damage to the excavator.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
Sounds like the throttle is too far out of adjustment. How's the damper case oil level?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The damper case is on the back of the engine between the pump and the engine. There is a level plug in the bell housing under the hydraulic plug. Oil level should be no higher than that plug hole.

The throttle linkage has to be tight in all the joints. A bad throttle ball joint and you are wasting your time trying to make up for the slop. You will end up adjusting one way the the engine won't shut down and then the other way and you get no speed. Once you replace any loose parts there is a procedure you need to go through to set up the linkage. You will need the book or someone to send you the procedure.

You haven't mentioned which engine you have in your machine. Give us the model number and we might be able to give you some more information.

John C.

Occupation
I would think that should read SAA4D104-1A. If so that would be the Cummins clone. As i recall those machines had and inline filter between the fuel tank and the transfer pump. It looks just like any inline filter you get from Napa but it is something very different. The original equipment unit is a brass strainer and not a paper filter. If you have the paper filter type an little bit of water hitting the paper will swell it shutting down the amount of fuel that can get through and limiting the amount of horsepower the engine can produce. If you take the unit out and blow backwards through it and you get a bunch of blackish or brownish liquid with plenty of grit, you should replace it with one from your dealer.

Let us know what you find.

Davidblack515

well I got time today to change the fuel filters and the is still know change in it. I ran it for about 45min today at the shop just messing around on a pile of dirt and took out a few smaller dead trees no hard digging tho, could not ask for it to run any better now in the general setting but sill in high output it's throttling up and down. Its not throwing any black smoke or any thing tho like is bogging down seems like to me it could be something electronic?

John C.

Occupation
If it is throttling up and down it is because the governor motor is pushing the throttle lever all the way into the high idle stop screw on the pump. You will need to adjust the linkage so that when the control motor moves the lever to full throttle in the HO mode the lever just touches the stop screw.