• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK160LC -Can only start by jumping the starter and won't charge

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If it's your machine, and your only bypassing in an effort to get it to a good place to work on it, I see no problem. It starts, your computers are communicating , all other safety features are in place. Who could complain. I just wouldn't call it a "fix"

Bluox

Bob, this is very helpful. Thank you.

As it stands now, I put the starter back in the machine and repaired the green wire coming off the R terminal of the alternator.

I am able to start the machine at the starter and the alternator is producing....shows 28volts at the R terminal/green wire.

Is there any detriment to bypassing the alternator safety relay/starter relatinship by nstallng a start button in lieu of cranking at the key switch?....at least for the short term until we can get the machine to a better place to work on it?
You can unplug the 2 wire plug hooked to the starter relay and check which wire has voltage when you turn the key to start then put a ground wire on the other terminal of the starter relay .This should let you start with the key.
Bob

Tugboat Trash

I will try that. I have to figure out which wire that is. I did however remove the green wire off the small tab which is the "R" terminal to see if the machine would start with it disconnected. I was told that if the machine started with the "R" terminal disconnected then the issue would be the alternator having gone bad. Removed the wire from terminal "R" and the machine still did not start. The only other wire it could be is a thin wire that is white and red. this wire goes into the two wire harness along with the thin blue wire off the power post and clips into the alternator. from the alternator that white & red wire runs through a multi wire harness down through the engine where it clips into another set of wires that run forward. I have not yet been able to open that bundle of wires underneath the machine, locate the red/white wire and follow it to its terminus on the other end....presumably, in the cab, behind the seat in what looks like a confused sea of dust laden wires. :) I will do that at some point soon I hope.

I don't know the location of the relay but I bet if you disconnect the wire to it on the alternator, the engine will probably start. Let us know if that is true.

Tugboat Trash

Thank you Bob, I did do that and what I found was that when the key is turned to start both wires show 24 volts which seems to indicate the system has a faulty ground somewhere. Therefore, what I am told is that thus far everything points to the Alternator Safety Relay which as I understand completes the system and if faulty would break the ground and prevent the ignition from starting the machine.

You can unplug the 2 wire plug hooked to the starter relay and check which wire has voltage when you turn the key to start then put a ground wire on the other terminal of the starter relay .This should let you start with the key.
Bob

Bluox

Take one wire off the starter relay ,the one on the starter and turn the key to start ,check voltage. Only one wire will have voltage. remove other wire from relay and ground that terminal .should start with key.
Bob

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The fact that you have power on both sides sounds like you have feedback from what should be the D+ or diode hot side of alternator. I believe this is what you are figuring as"R" I would check wire by wire against wire at safety relay. See which one removes power. Ground that wire. As Bob says, she should fire off with the key. Once you've confirmed that, and shut it off check continuity from safety relay back to alt. Power off/battery switch off ,so you don't hurt your ohmmeter. Is the circuit open? Then check against ground. Then check against power. Which one has continuity?

Bluox

The safety relay is to protect the starter from trying to start when the motor is running . It is normally closed when the alternator is not running ,so when the wire from the key switch is energized voltage goes thru the starter relay to the safety relay to ground to allow current thru the starter relay to start the motor . When the alternator starts charging it opens the safety relay so you can't try to start motor again . Fairly simple system.
Bob

GUNNER88

Occupation
FIELD REPAIR AND DIAGNOSTICS
What ended up being the starting issue I have the exact same problem

Kyle Helmke

That white with a red stripe is your alternator charge signal. It should go the the alternator relay in the fuse box. This wire being broken can curse no start because it thinks its already running. I have also seen where the machine would not shut down due to the same issue. They are usually broken where the harness 90s under the engine. That green r terminal is for rpm.

Phantom970

Occupation
Serial Pest
What ended up being the starting issue I have the exact same problem

check around your starter area for a broken wire inside the plastic conduit. I had two wires cut by this stuff from all the vibration and shaking of the wire harness. The whole engine bay harness is terrible.
This was on a SK170