• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK135SR-2 Hydraulic pump

kleener

Occupation
battler
The excavator has just ceased to proceed on a job site, looks like the pump that drives LH track, bucket crowd, slew and boom down has blown and spread metal filings throughout.

Has anyone had this happen, and how do you go about decontaminating the system - would guess since both sides of the pump feed off the same reservoir absolutely everything would be full of filings.

Are we looking at 20k repair bill on a 100 K excavator?

Phantom970

Occupation
Serial Pest
Depends how many functions were tried after failure and how long for

most should be in the return filter and tank

have you actually pulled the pump apart yet to see if it has sent metal into the system?

I had a similar pump crap itself on a SK170. I “had” to use all functions for a short time due to the situation I was in. Most of the metal went into the tank on HYD bypass As I had hold of a 4 tonne load

your job site might be a problem, but I do AG stuff So I could just undo hoses and use the machines own replacement pump to flush out crap and oil onto the ground. I didn’t do the rams. Just oil cooler, slew motor, track motors. The filter and strainer in the tank catches the rest. A lot of stuff come out of the cooler.
Tank was removed and washed out upside down.

that’s just my rough way of doing things. Others opinions will be more strict.

by the way, Kobelco wanted $18k for a new pump at the time, and none available in AUS. I ended up with a used pump off an SK135, as is, how is, sight unseen. $8k. It’s been going fine now for 2000hrs.

best of luck.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
To do it proper, I've been part of doing machines that cost upwards of $60K. That was using dealer personnel. You are probably looking at $30 to $40K if you do yourself. Clean out entails removing all the motors and cylinders and dismantling to clean. Hoses and tubes can be cleaned with those fiber plugs that get blown through. It's a pain and expensive.

kleener

Occupation
battler
. I didn’t do the rams. Just oil cooler, slew motor, track motors. The filter and strainer in the tank catches the rest. A lot of stuff come out of the cooler.

So you removed disassembled and cleaned slew and track motors?

that’s just my rough way of doing things. Others opinions will be more strict. Mate, we too are orstralian doing Ag work. The machine is currently sitting in an arena 70 km from nowhere. :)

by the way, Kobelco wanted $18k for a new pump at the time, and none available in AUS. I ended up with a used pump off an SK135, as is, how is, sight unseen. $8k. It’s been going fine now for 2000hrs. RDW will do us a reco pump for $7050 inc, delivered, so not too bad there.

best of luck. Many thanks

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Thats a bad situation I know of some instances wher an additional filter has been adapted into the return line, its difficult to flush the system without complete dismantling. If that is interesting I can try to get some details.
Kind regards
Uffex

kleener

Occupation
battler
Good day
Thats a bad situation I know of some instances wher an additional filter has been adapted into the return line, its difficult to flush the system without complete dismantling. If that is interesting I can try to get some details.
Kind regards
Uffex
That is interesting, details would be great please.

Phantom970

Occupation
Serial Pest
. I didn’t do the rams. Just oil cooler, slew motor, track motors. The filter and strainer in the tank catches the rest. A lot of stuff come out of the cooler.

So you removed disassembled and cleaned slew and track motors?

that’s just my rough way of doing things. Others opinions will be more strict. Mate, we too are orstralian doing Ag work. The machine is currently sitting in an arena 70 km from nowhere. :)

by the way, Kobelco wanted $18k for a new pump at the time, and none available in AUS. I ended up with a used pump off an SK135, as is, how is, sight unseen. $8k. It’s been going fine now for 2000hrs. RDW will do us a reco pump for $7050 inc, delivered, so not too bad there.

best of luck. Many thanks

no I didn’t remove any motors just the lines at the motors and operated each function to flush the lines

I used a black rag over each pipe to sieve the oil so I could catch any metal fragments to get an idea how much has spread thru the system

your slew should have constant pressure at it on a charge line
Then the left and right will flush when you pull the levers

track motors similar

there will be nothing big enough to worry your rams
Metal fragments will just go in and back out and eventually to the return filter

Spool valves are big and will let stuff thru

after my episode and clean procedure I ran the machine as per normal for a day and then changed the return filter
There was barely a quarter of a tea spoon of very fine particles of metal in there. I was checking in all the folds of the paper. There was nothing in the filter chamber

second filter change after a solid week had nothing in it.

I prob flushed 40-50 litres of New oil in total out of the pipes onto the ground. That’s cheap compared to a full complete strip down of components and Rams.

I have some pics of the pump failure on another old phone. I will see if I can fire it up again.
The drive train for the pilot Charge pump actually failed in my pump and thus destroyed my Main pump which Did have good power and flow at the time.

kleener

Occupation
battler
no I didn’t remove any motors just the lines at the motors and operated each function to flush the lines

I used a black rag over each pipe to sieve the oil so I could catch any metal fragments to get an idea how much has spread thru the system

your slew should have constant pressure at it on a charge line
Then the left and right will flush when you pull the levers

track motors similar

there will be nothing big enough to worry your rams
Metal fragments will just go in and back out and eventually to the return filter

Spool valves are big and will let stuff thru

after my episode and clean procedure I ran the machine as per normal for a day and then changed the return filter
There was barely a quarter of a tea spoon of very fine particles of metal in there. I was checking in all the folds of the paper. There was nothing in the filter chamber

second filter change after a solid week had nothing in it.

I prob flushed 40-50 litres of New oil in total out of the pipes onto the ground. That’s cheap compared to a full complete strip down of components and Rams.

I have some pics of the pump failure on another old phone. I will see if I can fire it up again.
The drive train for the pilot Charge pump actually failed in my pump and thus destroyed my Main pump which Did have good power and flow at the time.

thanks very much for that info