• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

colson04

So not knowing anything about the inner workings of a crane, do they have a similar turntable to an excavator or a different style turntable that would make that crane flip off of the carrier frame??

Its just a big bearing in the truck cranes and the newer crawlers, bolted to the welded frame.

Tugger's conventionals are a little different, on the older ones they just have big rollers riding on a large metal ring.

Here's hook rollers:

View attachment 226530 View attachment 226531

Here's truck crane bearing:

View attachment 226532

@Tags ,I had the same question

@crane operator Thanks for the solid explanation with pictures.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I see that like most quarries they are absolutely on top of cleaning up their conveyor spillage - not..!!
That brings back memories of an exchange my brother had with one of the "engineers" of the then new plant I ended up working at for 40+ years. My brother started working there during the summer after he graduated from high school two years before me. Brother was complaining about the way there was so much stone spilling off the conveyors. This "engineer" when he heard this kid complaining asked he what was his problem? Brother told him he was tired of cleaning up all the spillage. "Engineer" said but this is a spillage free plant! Brother then said why am I spending most of my day shoveling up spillage? To which the "engineer" replied as only an "engineer" could, "But it worked on Paper!"

Could never understand why some of the tail pullies on the secondary plant which were above ground when I stated there were now three feet below grade level by the time I retired! And the entrance to the main electrical control building which used to be at least one step up at the entrance was last I knew one step down! I mean it's not like there weren't a handful of front end loaders and a couple skid steer loaders available to keep the place cleaned up! And the whole plant was built right on bedrock so there wasn't a problem of digging too deep while scraping the floor!

crane operator

When the crane rips off the base/ undercarriage like that, its usually a safe bet that its been repeatedly overloaded, and/ or repeatedly shock loaded. Of the pictures I've seen of one's that have broken off, it seems its more likely to tear the welds out, than break the bolts out. But either one can occur.

Tags

When the crane rips off the base/ undercarriage like that, its usually a safe bet that its been repeatedly overloaded, and/ or repeatedly shock loaded. Of the pictures I've seen of one's that have broken off, it seems its more likely to tear the welds out, than break the bolts out. But either one can occur.

Thank you for the explanation, it's absolutely amazing and lucky that no one was standing next to that when it went over, looks like the operator went for one hell of a ride though…

crane operator

Could never understand why some of the tail pullies on the secondary plant which were above ground when I stated there were now three feet below grade level by the time I retired! And the entrance to the main electrical control building which used to be at least one step up at the entrance was last I knew one step down! I mean it's not like there weren't a handful of front end loaders and a couple skid steer loaders available to keep the place cleaned up! And the whole plant was built right on bedrock so there wasn't a problem of digging too deep while scraping the floor!

For those who haven't seen pictures before, here's kshansen's old work site when he got started:

dinosaur quarry 1.jpg dinosaur quarry 2.jpg dinosaur quarry 3.jpg

crane operator

I see that like most quarries they are absolutely on top of cleaning up their conveyor spillage
Yeah, that's a rolling a rock up a mountain kind of job, never gets done.

This is the boiler refurb at the asphalt plant I did last saturday, at the same time I was finishing up the other crusher job with the 100 ton. They are only a mile or two apart, so I was able to just go back and forth to get everyone done. The roof of the boiler shed is angle iron with two pick lugs, pop the roof off and replace boiler.

20201026_072633.jpg 20201026_072606.jpg 20201026_072656.jpg

crane operator

Finally got the big tank loaded out. 83' tank takes a 83' well. And it was pouring rain. Everyone was thrilled. And of course my rain pants had a epic blowout. I hate working in the rain.

20201029_123502.jpg 20201029_132101.jpg 20201029_140305.jpg 20201029_090726.jpg

hosspuller

The first photo in post# 3152 looks like the trailer midsection is maybe an inch off the ground. Did the trucker leave like that ? Even the railroad needs more clearance than that.:eek:

crane operator

The trailer was built essentially like a detach lowboy neck on each end, so he could raise and lower each neck. There were shims in the neck, and at each joint in the trailer. In the one picture its got 2'+ of camber in the middle, all that camber came out when we laid the tank in it, so it took a lot of tries to get the blocking and shimming correct. The one joint in the picture is actually almost on the ground, that was the close point. We raised the tank to max legal height and shimmed it to there with the necks.

Driver said he could jack up either neck to get over a low spot. I don't think anywhere in the middle of the trailer was over 3" off the ground loaded when we left. Hope he's headed for kansas, nebraska, s. dakota, oklahoma- flat country.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Driver said he could jack up either neck to get over a low spot. I don't think anywhere in the middle of the trailer was over 3" off the ground loaded when we left. Hope he's headed for kansas, nebraska, s. dakota, oklahoma- flat country.

That reminds me of the time years back when a car hauler apparently not familiar with the route decided to take Route 31C from the Route 90 exit to Elbridge instead of Route 31B. The route he took came on to Main Street in town a few hundred yards from the car dealer. Problem is there was a very short and steep approach on to Main Street. Last I saw him he was sitting there with the trailer wheels half off the ground and spinning tires on the tractor!

JamesL

Occupation
Maritime Deck Hand
A strange creature has seemed to adopted me today while at work. Found him by the dumpster. Send help.

dAraFBM.jpeg