• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

Well the cops called and I got to go pick this up middle of the week. They had it stashed out in the weeds and someone spotted it. They unbolted two of the aluminum underbody boxes, and took the hand tools.

I had to bust the ignition out with a screwdriver and a hammer, and got it going and drove it home.

I suggested to the cops that they hang a camera in the trees- there wouldn't be 5 people a month drive back there. Check the camera once a week for a month or something. But that sounded like too much work to them.

20180926_185244.jpg

crane operator

How tight is the crane operator?

Tight enough that I'll take a rusted out exhaust pipe, cut a piece out of a different rusted out exhaust piece, and weld them together. Its not a good character trait.

20180927_090326.jpg 20180927_090330.jpg 20180927_092332.jpg

crane operator

Picked up two really nice peterbilt seats last week. I'm thinking of mounting them in the white pete project that has put down roots in one bay of the shop.

Then I got to looking at the seats in the peterbilt. Is the goofy looking stitching in the headrest of the seats actually a "P" for peterbilt, and these are rare factory original seats that I shouldn't replace?

20180927_094201.jpg 20180927_094218.jpg

Crummy

How tight is the crane operator?

Tight enough that I'll take a rusted out exhaust pipe, cut a piece out of a different rusted out exhaust piece, and weld them together. Its not a good character trait.

View attachment 186668 View attachment 186669 View attachment 186670
Better than my repair! "What have I got on board...." Soup can from last nights meal & tie wire. Got me home from Montana to Washington though. Even had a L1 inspection "creative" was all he said and sent me on my way. [edit] cutting a soup can with a pair of wire cutters is asking to get bloody
MT June 17.JPG

Glad you got your truck back, even without what they took better than nothing I guess.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor

crane operator

That’s some nice work, it’s clear that they can read a tape.
It looks simply, but if it’s not done right all you end up with is a crane invoice, a bunch of wasted time and ruined lumber. My hats off to these carpenters.

They're good carpenters (if there is such a thing:)). My son worked for these guys this summer on this house and a different one. These guys just do custom big houses, and the lead framer is super detail orientated- unusual in a framer. They worked with just 3 guys all summer- he doesn't use a big crew and doesn't get in any hurry. They get a lot done, its just they do framing like some guys do cabinetry.

I told my son - these guys will teach you the right way- if you end up framing for someone who just slams it all together fast, and lets the sheetrockers cover up the sins, that how a lot of the commercial or spec building gets done. But this way he'll at least have seen how it is done right. But not all framing gets done on high end homes.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
They're good carpenters (if there is such a thing:)). My son worked for these guys this summer on this house and a different one. These guys just do custom big houses, and the lead framer is super detail orientated- unusual in a framer. They worked with just 3 guys all summer- he doesn't use a big crew and doesn't get in any hurry. They get a lot done, its just they do framing like some guys do cabinetry.

I told my son - these guys will teach you the right way- if you end up framing for someone who just slams it all together fast, and lets the sheetrockers cover up the sins, that how a lot of the commercial or spec building gets done. But this way he'll at least have seen how it is done right. But not all framing gets done on high end homes.
That sounds familiar, we could never survive mass framing my guys are too fussy. We work on custom houses on contract pricing.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
To my knowledge there isn’t anything special about the seats in that truck. I’d put the ones you got in there unless the current ones are comfortable.

Glad you got the truck back!

Welder Dave

Yes, glad you got your truck back. Maybe you could set up a game camera where your truck was found and get some pics that might help identify who might have took your truck. After the cop accused your daughter of the accident by your shop , it doesn't surprise me they aren't too interested in finding who took your truck. You could check pawn shops for the tools and/or craigslist or wherever people advertise.

Natman

I have a friend who is the the assistant manager of our local (and only) scrap metal recycling biz. We have talked about my aluminum outrigger pads (I'm told they cost about 1 K EACH to replace, could that be correct!!?) and hopefully I might get them back if stolen. I need to etch my SS # in them, though I hate to create any (more) stress risers.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I have a friend who is the the assistant manager of our local (and only) scrap metal recycling biz. We have talked about my aluminum outrigger pads (I'm told they cost about 1 K EACH to replace, could that be correct!!?) and hopefully I might get them back if stolen. I need to etch my SS # in them, though I hate to create any (more) stress risers.
I bought an extra one for my Elliot and luckily they fit my Manitex so I kept the best one. With the aluminum floats if you break one your out of business till you get a replacement. I priced it with Elliott and me picking it up in Toronto was over $1,200 and at that time our $ was at par. On my pad was the manufacturers name, a quick google search and I was on the phone with them. Five days later and around $500 it was on my door step.
You likely have the same brand, I will check and post their name later.
Sauber mfg.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
I don't think I would engrave the pads with my SSN. Use something else perhaps the last 8 digits of the VIN of the truck they are used on.

Rick

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
SSN is more important to protect than the password to your bank account. Same with DL# and even birth date to some degree.

I wonder if you could etch a serial number into it by sand blasting with a mask or something. But how scratched up are they from rocks and such already.

crane operator

I think I would mark them with your business name and phone # if you were going to try to mark them.

Made up some new chains for tying down the Rt on the lowboy. The other hooks I had kept getting wedged in the tie down lugs. The old ones were the smaller crosby hooks, the new hooks are the big orange ones. I scrounged up the chain in my back room, ordered the hooks surplus off ebay. Even managed to find enough hammerlinks to attach the new hooks, I never throw anything out.

20181001_094725.jpg 20181001_101714.jpg