• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
That suspension on those Groves is a total nightmare. Company here had 2 350 ton Groves over a year and a half we had pulled all of the shafts out of those wishbones and replaced them all. After drilling them for grease fittings. It is not a fun ride when one of them breaks running down the road a 50 mph.

crane operator

I spent the weekend making lift plans and rigging plans. I had them down to 5 shackles to attach in 80' of water. Coast guard, NTSB, State patrol (who used to be the water patrol), fire/ water rescue from the county. All kinds of agency's. And everyone needed their boxes checked off.

The barge guy is a boat transporter that I do some work with, I provided the rigging and lift plan.

We offloaded it at the storage facility, from the trailer that the barge loaded it on.

It was kind of hard to guess how it would pick- the weight of the engine and tranny is all up front, and I didn't want the front strap coming out of the wheel well half way up (if it was nose heavy). I told them I would try to make it pick nose high by a foot or so- I was close, it ended up being a couple feet high on the front, but that helped roll the water out the back.

Pictures are from the local news station.

Screen+Shot+2018-07-23+at+10.15.09+AM.jpg

Screen+Shot+2018-07-23+at+10.21.06+AM.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That’s really impressive man. I don’t like why you had to do it. Tragic deal.
I was thinking about CO when I heard about this accident knowing he was in that area. It is a very sad thing on many levels and will have repercussions for years to come I'm sure.

Kiwi-truckwit

I spent the weekend making lift plans and rigging plans. I had them down to 5 shackles to attach in 80' of water. Coast guard, NTSB, State patrol (who used to be the water patrol), fire/ water rescue from the county. All kinds of agency's. And everyone needed their boxes checked off.

The barge guy is a boat transporter that I do some work with, I provided the rigging and lift plan.

We offloaded it at the storage facility, from the trailer that the barge loaded it on.

It was kind of hard to guess how it would pick- the weight of the engine and tranny is all up front, and I didn't want the front strap coming out of the wheel well half way up (if it was nose heavy). I told them I would try to make it pick nose high by a foot or so- I was close, it ended up being a couple feet high on the front, but that helped roll the water out the back.

Pictures are from the local news station.

Screen+Shot+2018-07-23+at+10.15.09+AM.jpg

Screen+Shot+2018-07-23+at+10.21.06+AM.jpg
Is that the duck bus that went down?
It's been all over the news here, mainly because there's an operator who runs a fleet of them and there may be implications if investigations reveal a fault

crane operator

The boat launch for the ducks is probably under 2 miles from my shop. I was at the house when the storm was rolling in, I drove over to where we had the 70 ton at with jib and stinger and dead stick in and boomed it down. It was real nice out- still with no wind, before it hit, then went to 40-50 mph in about 2 minutes time. I met the fire trucks as I left the 70 ton jobsite after booming it down- its just a mile in the other direction from the lake.

Its a sad, tragic thing. And hindsight is 20/20, and everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else.

I don't think the ducks are inherently unsafe. Probably a far less accident rate than any car, truck, jeep, or whatever you want to pick. Probably safer than walking in a walmart parking lot. But don't have any business being out in 4' waves.

All the people talking about them being from 1944, the only thing on them from '44 is the titles. They have new hulls, new drivetrains, different engines, different everything. My mechanic guy used to work there.

I read a article the other day that said they shouldn't have been on the water because there was a thunderstorm watch issued at 8:00 that morning. A lot of july and august weeks there is a thunderstorm watch every day. Nice in the morning, heats up , and the thunderstorms roll through in the afternoon. If you didn't run every time there was a watch out, you'd never go out.

That said, I saw it coming in and went and boomed down the 70 ton. The captain could have just said "sorry folks, it looks like that storm is moving in, we aren't going in the water, you can all come back tomorrow with complimentary passes"- or something like that. Of course there would be one PO ed person who would leave a bad review on trip advisor- "they said it was too stormy out so we didn't even get to go on the water and we were leaving the next day- so what good would a voucher do us? It looked fine out to me." And all those resort/ tourist activities are scared to death of a bad review on trip advisor.

There were (per the us coast guard) - 658 deaths in 2017 in boating incidents. in 2015 there were 626, with 2,613 injuries. There were 5.3 deaths for every 100,000 registered boats. That's not to lessen this tragedy. But they have been in town here for 40 years with no incidents. Yes there have been other duck boats go down. But compared to tour buses, airplanes or personal vehicles, their reputation is pretty good. Nobody is talking about banning those modes of transportation, or all boats, or jetski's.

None of that lessens the tragedy of people dying on vacation in a tour boat, and its a really sad thing.

But I think its ridiculous when the former NTSB chair, says now they should be banned. He used to be in a position to do something about it- and did nothing back then, but I think now he's just fishing for a chance to be a "expert" witness in a lawsuit. Any time I hear someone talking about banning something- look at the statistics. The most dangerous thing we all do is hop in a car and drive- nobody says a word about banning cars.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My thoughts exactly. Tragic no matter how you look at it. But not necessarily any more dangerous than anything else we do on a given day.

crane operator

Anyways- enough about the ducks- I don't have any control over any of that, and I try not to get wrapped up in things I don't control.

Speaking of things I don't control but should- architects that design entrance/ exits/ and landscaping plans with windy narrow "streets".

We had to get a generator into a new medical facility this morning. They had to get a fire truck out here the other day because a electrician had a heart attack, and they couldn't make the corners with it.

I got the cranes in there, but the 53' double drop with the generator was a different story. We had to pick the trailer up with the crane and swing it around one corner, another one we had to hop the curb on.

Poor guy had a long wheelbase pete, we probably should have just transferred it to my short truck and trailer, but I didn't bring it.

20180724_074351.jpg 20180724_074353.jpg 20180724_081029.jpg 20180724_081556.jpg

crane operator

Of course they hid the generator behind a wall, behind the dumpster walls too. 70 ton wouldn't set it- so RT and the 35 tandem pick. Good thing the RT counterweight is pretty high off the ground. We had to clear the dumpster walls with it.

20180724_065508.jpg 20180724_065520.jpg 20180724_092221.jpg 20180724_094007.jpg

crane operator

Nice fresh new curbs too. I may or may not know how easy they are to shatter lol.

Oh yeah- its a whole new facility, on 7 acres and they could have put the roads anywhere, its all grass. Or at least made 35' wide roads and not islands and little flower planters everywhere. But it looks neat on the plans.

They are even going to have one of those truck mounted MRI machines. Wait till he drives through the planters a couple times in and out of there.

Don't get me started.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Oh yeah- its a whole new facility, on 7 acres and they could have put the roads anywhere, its all grass. Or at least made 35' wide roads and not islands and little flower planters everywhere. But it looks neat on the plans.

Don't get me started.

See it all the time myself. Usually we’re in before curbs are poured. We’ve done some additions lately that sucked. School in Lawrence, college in Edmond, hospital in Edmond. Always something. Refineries are the absolute worst for getting around.

crane operator

I took the 35 after the generator, and went and set some beams on a new house. 95' away with a 1,400lb beam. Wouldn't get it with the 25.

The big beam was on the back side for a deck. Couldn't get real close to the house do to the road being 40' from the house, and the house being down 20' from the road. Trees, powerlines, steep drop off, all the usual stuff.

People are crazy, I wouldn't want their driveway if you gave me the house.

20180724_130141.jpg 20180724_132041.jpg 20180724_132700.jpg 20180724_133034.jpg

crane operator

And I saw a new sign today- one I'd never seen before in front of a house. For those of you with poor resolution or small screens- it says "caution deaf dog"

What I want to know is- how do they know he's deaf, maybe he just doesn't like his owners? I've seen a lot of dogs that you can yell and yell at and they don't seem to hear a thing......(Wife says I'm the same way)

20180724_143947.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If I don't hear something my wife says she tells me I need my hearing checked, but if she doesn't hear something I say she tells me I'm mumbling and need to speak up!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Sounds about right. I swear my kids have the same problem. It’s fun ignoring them when they ask for this or that. Huh? Sorry didn’t hear ya lol

crane operator

Crane operator,

Just looking around on Iron Planet and found something you need:

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/1295243?kwtag=p13n-R&h=

Might be a little tricky getting into those tight places but should be able to lift most of what you need to hook onto!
Only asking $1.98 mil!

Well I guess I'll have to take a trip out to new york and do a little digging under your mattress and find your $ stash- because that is a little out of my price range.

kyaw soe

my boom lift genie x80/60 can not do anything . This fault code are display on LCD, Decon safety switch p7r fault and safety switch p7r value too high.