• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

Took down a tree yesterday. I couldn't reach the tree, but they dropped the pieces where I could pull them out. It was in the middle of a putt- putt course at a resort.

20180710_095036.jpg 20180710_121607.jpg 20180710_122017.jpg 20180710_144618.jpg

crane operator

The heaviest was putting in their stump grinder, they said under 4,000lbs, but it was quite a bit heavier than that on the scale, I wonder if that was a "dry" weight.

Used my old skip box for the little branches and the stump grinder mulch clean up.

The main trunk was pretty good sized.

We laid out some mats and plywood to protect the sod where we dropped all the limbs. The worst thing is the neighbor tree to this one is probably next, they disturbed all the roots of these old oaks putting in the course, and now these two have both died. Those old oaks don't like being messed with around here with our rocky conditions, it seems like if you disturb them too much around the bases, they give up pretty easy.

20180710_130522.jpg 20180710_135559.jpg 20180710_144558.jpg 20180710_144826.jpg

crane operator

Skated a fancy dehumidifier into a indoor pool mechanical room today. They said it was over $40,000.

Unit was about 1 1/2" shorter than the doorway, so we didn't have a lot of extra clearance. Used some short skates I have, and put some pipes through the base of the unit. We stuck a wood block on each side of the forklift pockets where we put the pipes, so they couldn't slide in. The unit was top heavy and off balance, so we ratchet strapped around it (after I took the picture), so it couldn't tip out of the rigging.

Doorway was between the chain link fences that the guys are standing by in the second picture. Had just enough room to get in on the concrete pad outside the door, the overhang on the building was kind of in the way.

20180711_100910.jpg 20180711_100915.jpg 20180711_101947.jpg 20180711_101949.jpg

crane operator

And for those of you really paying attention- yes there is now a grill in the old mack. It was just a open hole to the air to air. I had a old freightliner grill that was kind of damaged in the back room. I had one of the guys cut it down and install it to the radiator mount frame, just to give a little protection to the air to air and radiator.

And yes, its crooked to the hood. At least its mounted- we'll have to do a little adjusting to it.

20180711_100910.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I like the grill - it gives the Mack a L9000 sort of look.

crane operator

Thanks, cm1995. I just didn't like that big black open hole, and could just see someone smacking some rigging or a spreader bar into it and wiping out the air to air. This should give it something to bounce off of first.

We actually did a skating and unloading project yesterday afternoon. It was so stinking hot I didn't take a single picture. It was a granite cutting cnc saw, came in a open top conex from italy. The trucker said he didn't have any idea how to take the tarp off or put it back on, but it had to go back on before he left. I was just going to toss the bars and the tarp in the back, but I put it back on. No thank you from the trucker either. I should have just left it, I was ready to just let him drag it back to Kansas city.

The saw was 12,000lbs, and was touching the conex on both sides, we had to pick it crooked because the truck was on a slope, and when we picked it straight it wedged on the sidewalls and wouldn't come out.

These pictures are the conexes we moved in the morning. I moved them once on this jobsite before, now they were in the way for more landscaping. I put them up on the berm, then they drug them to the new lay down yard with the forklifts.

Heaviest was just over 30,000lbs. When he tried to pick one end with the 12,000lb cap. forklift, he had some trouble backing up, his rear was too light to steer.

20180712_074737.jpg 20180712_084234.jpg 20180712_083620.jpg 20180712_074740.jpg

crane operator

Only a unit with the 25 this morning. Got done before it got hot. Took the 25 instead of the mack, the control valves have started leaking a little on the mack, so they came apart and got all new quad rings.

Its back together and should be good for monday.

Had a skate bust a pin moving the granite cutter. I just pulled it out and finished moving it with three skates. I called Hillman rollers, and they want over $200 for a new chain. I looked it over this morning, and I think I can just grind out the old pin, and get a new connector link pin to replace the pin that broke. We were pulling the cutter into place and the floor wasn't in very good shape, when this skate caught, it broke the pin.

20180713_090738.jpg 20180713_123541.jpg 20180713_123544.jpg 20180713_123551.jpg

crane operator

Had to fix one of the feet on the cutter, it broke off a screw in the bottom that hold the foot to the adjuster/leveling feet. Broken flush- so I welded a washer and a nut to it and screwed it right out. I don't mess around usually with drilling and easy outs, I usually just get frustrated going that route, so I just start out with the welder.

20180713_060129.jpg 20180713_060732.jpg

crane operator

Pretty drive this morning. I let her roll a little up and down one of the little hills back into this development, and thought "3rd will walk that hill".

The detroit had other thoughts this morning. The hill got worse around the curve.

When she started to complain- I just flipped her out and grabbed reverse and the brakes. I went back to the bottom for another run in 1st. I didn't think I wanted to mess with a driveline or axle this morning, I've got no one to impress, so I don't mind getting another run at a hill.
20180716_070045.jpg 20180716_070102.jpg

crane operator

Had to get a little creative today. Deck on the back side of a big house. Big drop off on the other side and hard to even stand a ladder on a lot of it. No way to get a self propelled manlift back there.

Steel columns and then I beams between columns. All weld up connections.

20180716_081402.jpg 20180716_081410.jpg 20180716_095238.jpg20180716_114322.jpg

crane operator

Just got the last piece attached, I'd been watching the clouds for the last hour or so. I no more than got the boom in, and we got in the trucks and headed up the hill, when the rain cut loose. Good timing.

I usually leave the crane boomed up, but it was pretty rumbly, so I decided boomed down would be prudent.

20180716_144621.jpg 20180716_150304.jpg

crane operator

Did you get a chance to use the boom tip basket yet?

Yep. Modified the boom tip bracket and did a billboard wrap job. Worked great.

The pin settings will put it even with the boom tip, or hang it clear below the boom tip. The higher setting gets you a little more height and reach, with less boom sticking above, but you can't rotate the basket very far, because it hits on the boom.

If you use the lower pin setting, the basket will rotate almost 180. But you better not be up underneath something close, and you lose a little height. It is easier to pin on in the lower setting, because its easier to reach.

The picture at my shop has it in the lower setting. I put it on the upper setting on the billboard job, because I was worried about height. Afterwards, I wish I had put it down so he could have rotated the basket further.

Its really stable on main boom. Much less sway than a 125 genie, and I can set up in a crooked spot with the crane, the self propelled lifts have a hard time in our hills. The service guys for the rental places spend a lot of time making calls to "non working" lifts, that are just shutting them off because its on too much slope.

20180704_105335.jpg 20180704_114739.jpg 20180706_072624.jpg 20180706_070419.jpg

crane operator

Well yesterday was one of those days you don't need too many of. I went and off loaded a cell tower in the morning, and it went fine. The tower guys were a bunch of skeptics on whether the 25 would unload it. I don't know what they usually get sent out for a crane to offload (the biggest section was only 10,000lbs), but evidently its a bigger crane than what I sent. If I had a 150 ton crane, I could have set the tower, but I'm still saving pennies for that.

20180718_100405.jpg

It was after the cell tower that things got worse. I took the 70 ton down to the big condo forever project to put up some more sheetrock, trim, and vanities, bathtubs etc. At the steepest part of the hill, I felt something let go out back. I think the crane slipped a little with the weight all up on the steers, then grabbed (jakes on) and popped a axle.

I put the power divider in, after checking to make sure it wasn't a driveshaft/ ujoint, and climbed up into the jobsite. I think I may just leave the axle alone, and drive it back to the shop like it is. If its broke and just a stub sticking out of the 3rd member, I'll have a hard time getting it out on the jobsite. Its only about 2 miles back to my shop, I'm thinking of just limping it home and fixing it there. I'm afraid if I take out the outer broken half, the inner piece may fall down and hang up on the 3rd member, so maybe leaving it all together might be a better choice.

When I got to the jobsite, one of the other guys sent me a picture of the tire on the RT. It had developed a baseball sized lump on the side of it. After he got done setting steel, it popped driving out of the way, but the tire itself still has air. The outer layer just separated from the belts, and it split there, the tire is still up. New tire is supposed to be in late today or tomorrow. They don't give away 23.5r25's either.

20180718_144935.jpg 20180718_145302.jpg

crane operator

They've repainted the whole condo building, the original was a red and dark blue. The new colors are certainly eye catching, but they wouldn't have been what I would pick. I thought the old color looked better.

The last two pictures is the old color. I think that was the color the siding was ordered in pre painted. I'm glad I didn't have to paint the whole building.

20180719_064021.jpg 20180719_094005.jpg 20171228_151257.jpg 20171218_115609.jpg

hosspuller

Just MHO … The new colors are way too garish. Makes me think of Lego blocks. But that may be what the owners want. Hard to miss sight of the building.

crane operator

I was discussing big all terrain cranes, and we were talking suspensions. Here's two pictures that show how the different companies make them. The first picture is a late 90's leibherr. A solid axle with a hydraulic cylinder on each side from the frame to the axle for raising and lowering. Pretty simple.

Grove uses what they call Mega trak. Looks like a overgrown GM 4x4. Center gearbox with driveshafts going to each wheel. From the frame to the wheel assembly is a strut/ cylinder much like a front wheel drive car, only with a hydraulic cylinder instead of a shock to raise and lower the wheel. Then there are a- arms to control forward and aft movement.

Grove gives you more clearance between the ground and the bottom of the axle- more travel height in the specs. The downside is they tend to have more tire wear, and if your really out in the mud turning, they can damage a arms pretty quick. The struts are a pain to take apart and rebuild when they start leaking also- and they all start leaking.

I prefer the solid axle like liebherr uses. Its just a simple cylinder when it needs rebuilt. And they don't wear tires as bad it seems.

The first three pictures show grove axle/ drop box.

Last picture a liebherr axle.

gmk axle.jpg

gmk axle 2.jpg

gmk axle 3.jpg

liebherr axle.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Someone's got to be the grammar police around here. Just because you have to know french too, doesn't mean you can butcher it up, when you speaken ze english.

No slack for anyone.

It's a coil lifter, caldwell made. One of the guys brought it home from a auction he was at. I wondered if a guy could set trusses with it, but I haven't tried yet. Might need to extend the pivot arm, or tighten it a little.

http://www.caldwellinc.com/strong-bac/coil-lifters/pivoting-coil-hook
Thanks your correct, and to make it worse I know better, I’ve been a municipal councilor and the chair of many boards of directors, writing and delivering speeches to thousands of people and I can tell you they are heartless if you’re anything less than literate.
It is mostly laziness, so I’ll be more careful from now on.

crane operator

It is mostly laziness, so I’ll be more careful from now on.

Blame the french- blame the french!

One of my daughters is taking french in high school and I'm always teasing her about it. The other day I held up my white handkerchief and asked her if she recognized it. She looked at me funny- "It's the French national flag- anytime there's germans around." She wasn't amused.

Anyways- I dug into the 70 ton rearend a little on friday. No such luck that a axle broke. Its the ring gear that we patched back together last year and have been running with. Looks like I'm getting parts from overseas or swapping rear tandems. The fun never stops.