• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just bought a used JCB backhoe.

LORDDiESEL

Occupation
carpenter
Hi Lads, I have the manual in a PDF if any of you want it.
But I have a similar problem, in that, theres left/right slop in the back actor. you can actually work the sloppiness by hand if its up off the ground. Is it a big deal to put all that right, I can't find a description of what to do anywhere. It's a 1988 3CX black cab, extradig and 4in 1.

I see a procedure in the manual for letting water out of the slew gearbox, but I don't think this could be causing the problem, could it?

Hopefully one of you can put me in the right direction!
S

sorry to bump an old thread. You have any other manuals?

mcSpud

I only have the one for the 1988 Black cab, and the newer 'curved type mudguard' model that came after it. They're pretty huge pdf's tho, I couldn't really email it to you..I guess I could snail mail you a cd if you are really stuck.
Cheerio!
S

rgchak

I've owned a 1988 1400B for six years and love it. No leaks, starts every time and works just like a backhoe should. My advice is to give a good degreasing and start looking for where the leaks are, most likely it's just some of the hoses need to be replaced.

Pootermagavin

At two fifty one way on a low boy there is not a private seller or dealer on earth that will give you a 3 day trail period on a $9k machine. If you do not buy it there goes a huge chunk of their profit. Not to mention they know you are going to put the older machine it threw it paces possbily lining up some repair bills for them. If you are spending this small of an amount you road test the machine, dig a good size hole, then move the dirt around with the loader. When all that is done you check for leaks. This and other basic checks will tell you about all you need to know.

JBFromOZ

Occupation
Production Manager, Embroidery Wholesale
Hey mate, i see you have a manual for 3cx i have a 1995 4wd machine trying to finda manual to coverit, itsthe plastic guard grey cab model with xtendahoe. You mentioned it being too big to email? I have found a 2005 manual which was 40mb which my email was able to cope with, any chance you could try to email it to me? Alternatively i could set up an upload on my web page if you were able to assist? Thanks, marcus jb@designlab.cx

JBFromOZ

Occupation
I forgot to mention in my previous post that I only just bought myself the 1995 JCB 3CX 4WD 4 in 1, extendahoe machine.

It seems to be in pretty nice shape, I went for a 2,500 km round trip to check it out in Laverton WA, was not happy to buy it sight unseen.

I am not sure where I would find information about all of the controls...

So far I have the basics sorted, front bucket, and 4in1 open close.

I've figured out "return to dig" via far left detent position, and also i think "bucket float" far forward on front bucket, which i think leaves the front bucket lift cylinders open to neutral, and will follow the ground. I've also figured out the front button on the front bucket stick is transmission dump (stop drive)

I have a couple of other buttons that I don't yet know, left button on the front bucket stick, not sure if this is some kind of horn, or if it might be something related to extra power (block pressure release channel or something?)

Also there are two buttons on the backhoe controls, what are these for?

are there any other hidden secret extended stick controls like the return to lift and bucket float or combination controls that a newbie needs to learn?

this is one of the main reasons I am looking for the workshop manual for this machine, the 2005 model manual is different in many of the minor details.

I also am missing the rear boom lock control lever and what appears to be a connection between a cable end on the boom, and the locking plate presently operated by a piece of string on the rear boom! any assistance in these areas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Marcus

Perth Western Australia

lee

hi marcus not bad machines those you should be able to get a operators book from your dealer they shouldnt be to expensive but if there not much help get intouch with digger doctor uk i get most my stuff from him very help full just google the name you will find him good luck mate

Anto Modded

Occupation
Excavator Driver
I would assume the kingpost and slewing mechanism would be the same from 1981 - 1997 before the rams came in. Ive had a case of fluid leaking from just above the pots for slewing left and right. happened in a 1987 3cx and a 1996 3cx............. Both machines seemed the same when replacing the seals in the pots for left and right. Clean the machine down and work it for a while and keep an eye out to try pin point where the fluid is comming from as best you can. The play is most like wear in the teeth in the pots, i remember the first of the 1997 jcbs got alot of play when they change to the ram system as no one greased them

ianoz

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I only just bought myself the 1995 JCB 3CX 4WD 4 in 1, extendahoe machine.

It seems to be in pretty nice shape, I went for a 2,500 km round trip to check it out in Laverton WA, was not happy to buy it sight unseen.

I am not sure where I would find information about all of the controls...

So far I have the basics sorted, front bucket, and 4in1 open close.

I've figured out "return to dig" via far left detent position, and also i think "bucket float" far forward on front bucket, which i think leaves the front bucket lift cylinders open to neutral, and will follow the ground. I've also figured out the front button on the front bucket stick is transmission dump (stop drive)

I have a couple of other buttons that I don't yet know, left button on the front bucket stick, not sure if this is some kind of horn, or if it might be something related to extra power (block pressure release channel or something?)

Also there are two buttons on the backhoe controls, what are these for?

are there any other hidden secret extended stick controls like the return to lift and bucket float or combination controls that a newbie needs to learn?

this is one of the main reasons I am looking for the workshop manual for this machine, the 2005 model manual is different in many of the minor details.

I also am missing the rear boom lock control lever and what appears to be a connection between a cable end on the boom, and the locking plate presently operated by a piece of string on the rear boom! any assistance in these areas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Marcus

Perth Western Australia

Hi Marcus ,Yes the front bucket lever has a horn button ,should also have a transmission disconnect button. The buttons on the Bhoe levers ,one should be another horn button ,and the other one i don't think does any thing . Ian . Ps Sent you an email .

Last edited:

JBFromOZ

Occupation
Hi Marcus ,Yes the front bucket lever has a horn button ,should also have a transmission disconnect button. The buttons on the Bhoe levers ,one should be another horn button ,and the other one i don't think does any thing . Ian .

well the trans disconnect is working \o/ the horn isn't (on the front) will need to suss out the rear buttons next time I'm with the machine.. thanks for the update :)

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
well the trans disconnect is working \o/ the horn isn't (on the front) will need to suss out the rear buttons next time I'm with the machine.. thanks for the update :)

Jb let me know if you got that mail.

ianoz

Hi Stock , What do you remember about backhoes ..I would have thought the last one you would have driven would have had spiket steel wheels on it :tong:). I found a couple of manuals on aussie ebay and sent marcus a link . Ian .

JBFromOZ

Occupation
thanks guys, have received emails, and got more reading material.. still looking for a parts book for the 1995, and a service manual for same, and have hard copy options, $60 or so for parts book and $400 or so for service manual... i can buy a few parts for that money, so am reluctant to spend that just yet.. cheers for the assistance
Marcus

Rally_Action

Marcus,

I bought my JCB manual on CD from Ebay.
It covers everything I need and was about $20.00 from memory.
Be wary of buying parts from the Perth JCB dealer. The parts are pretty pricey. Found it much cheaper to buy from Digger Doctor in the UK. Even better value with the good exchange rate too.

Karl

JBFromOZ

Occupation
I've managed to get a boom seal rebuild kit from digger parts in UK for 19 pounds.. so pretty happy with that, are you able to confirm if your CD contains parts/service manual for the 1995 3cx s.no 433395 I'm more than happy to pony up $20 if its got that covered... thanks mate

Rally_Action

I'd have to look at my CD to check what models of JCB backhoes it covers.
From memory, the CD is pretty comprehensive and covers quite a few models. My Backhoe is a 89/90 3CX and is covered so I'd say the 90's machines would be in there.

Karl

JBFromOZ

Occupation
Hi Karl,
I was unable to see the CD on ebay over the last few weeks, went and checked tonight and its available so have now ordered a copy, thanks for the updated info!

Thanks,
Marcus

JBFromOZ

Occupation
If I get from you the machine serial number
I can send you the whole information about it.

Send me the machine serial number
I will find you what you need,

G'day Mate!

I've received the CD in the post from ebay, seems to cover the later model well, however am still missing the specifics of my machine relating to the boom lock assembly,

My serial number is SLP3CXTSSE0433395 :)

Tagadeeese!

Marcus

babb

I am looking for a manual for a 1987 JCB backhoe 1400B I have trans proublem or electrical proublem