• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just bought a used JCB backhoe.

jcb3cx

Bought a JCB backhoe owner told me it was a 1400b turns out it's a 3cx 4in1 bucket,4x4 sitemaster. everything is leaking. there's oil coming out where pump is but i can't see any leaks. extendahoe is leaking from inside the boom dripping out through hole. Boom swing doesn't stay put it swing to left on its on so i'm thinking valve block is bad there's play in the valve. hoe bucket leaks down. Hoe fitting is lose and leaking. King Boom falls down in 20 seconds. One brake master cylinder is empty and i don't know what kind of fluid it takes it says iso vg15. turbo exhaust housing is cracked. I'm thinking i have a $9000 dollar paper weight.

Does Anyone here have any knowledge about old JCB bachoes? Is a 1400b and a 3cx sitemaster the same machine except for the extras?

any help is appreciated,

Thanks,Brett

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
jcb3cx said:
I'm thinking i have a $9000 dollar paper weight.

Does Anyone here have any knowledge about old JCB bachoes? Is a 1400b and a 3cx sitemaster the same machine except for the extras?

any help is appreciated,

Thanks,Brett

Dear Brett...a box of matches should only be about 25cents.

jcb3cx

lol looks like i got a paperweight lol

How much does your leak? Did u ever make any repairs??

dayexco

always, ALWAYS take any new machine you are considering purchasing...and make them bring it up for a 3 day try and buy. in 3 days alot of that would have showed up

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I hope you didn't buy before looking at the machine? If so, shame on you. As stated above, you should always get a 2-3 try before you buy deal. If the seller says no, obviously he's got something to hide and you'll be better off without. As far as fixing the machine, don't know what to tell you. It's like a car I guess, can't sell it until it's fixed.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hey JCB3...Welcome to the forum:) ..what a reception eh!. JCB's aren't all bad, they are quite a capable machine in fact. The main problem is that they are not the easiest machine to work on. However, if you got a rough one for a steal well you might have the last laugh.

Hydraulic leaks or rather lack of them is not JCB's forte but you can improve things with the great fittings that are around these days. You can save a lot of money in repairing unions and hoses by removing them yourself and taking them to a repair shop.

See if you can track down a manual for the machine. How about giving it a good degrease and pressure clean then post a few pic's here. I'm sure somebody can help.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Jcb3xc

they are not a bad machine just the same as any other older machine most will need a lot of TLC I believe the machine you have is one of the first models that were brought into this country. we were a dealer at the time and they were a strong machine for that size and age.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
First - Brett, it sounds like you are going to get to know that JCB very well soon! I'd second what Squizzy said and steam clean it get the manual and dive in. Hopefully you aren't on a deadline to use the machine. Might not hurt to make friends at the local hydraulic shop! :wink2

Second - and I mean absolutely no offense here - Would you guys really expect a 3 day trial on a used $9,000 backhoe? I wouldn't expect one or give one on a piece in that price/age range. On a new machine - you bet, bring it out and let me try it - too much money on the line - but not on a "budget" backhoe. My experience with used equipment trials is "There's a dirt pile out back if you want to dig around a little bit". I've never tried to hide anything, but I'm also not an equipment dealer and don't have the time/money to truck a $9k unit around every 3 days for folks to try out. I think that most all of the stuff mentioned would be seen on a short check out in the yard before buying.

Just out of curiosity, was this an online auction purchase? Did you know what you were getting?

The real question becomes how much $ will it take him to get it usable?

cat320

Charter Member
Well i have never been a jcb guy but when i was plowing for one of the towns here they had a new 214 at the time and had nothing but problems with it ,even my own town had one and it didn't look to good. I hope you didn't pay alot because hydraulic repairs can add up fast and pumps even more. good luck.

dayexco

i don't care if the machine is 900,9,000, or 90,000 dollars...i want a 3 day try and buy. if the dealer isn't willing to let me try it for 3 days, that in itself is a red flag. just depends how bad the dealer wants to sell it i guess

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
dayexco said:
i don't care if the machine is 900,9,000, or 90,000 dollars...i want a 3 day try and buy. if the dealer isn't willing to let me try it for 3 days, that in itself is a red flag. just depends how bad the dealer wants to sell it i guess
But it didn't sound like he bought it from a dealer. Would you still want a 3 day trial from a private seller - like say another dirt work company? I've never even been asked for more than a short demo on a private sale. Then again, none of my equipment was puking hydraulic fluid all over itself when I sold it. Maybe I'm just swimming upstream on this.

Regards,
Korey

lee

hi brett just came accross this while messing about on the forum yes jcbs do leak oil but i think you will find most other makes do i have had 3 of these 3cx now they all leaked but were very good machines and parts still available no matter how old but i did have the casting splines go on the backhoe slew when a rang jcb i would have needed to extend my overdraft i was put on to digger doctor in the uk he use to work for them he breaks them for spares and does new parts what a saveing i made going to him it may be worth getting in touch for your seals and stuff if you google digger docor uk it should come up good luck mate

semtex

Occupation
Logging
I'm sorry for you're impending loss. The machines are fantastic when they're working, try getting parts!!! I used to live 40 miles from the factory in the U.K. and my dealer told me it was a 3 week wait for a 600mm bucket!!!
Good luck.

lee

hi i shouldnt worry about the odd leak on a jcb like the man said tighten all the hoses ,get your self a set of orings and washers you can do most your self if its pumps and hyd rams leaking you will need to get the right seals but the 3cx is a goos versatile machine and will do you good service your just sounds like it need some TLC if you need some proffessional advice on it or sparea google digger doctor they will sort you out
good luck

Anto Modded

Occupation
Excavator Driver
Ive had several Jcb's and the 1987 was the best i ever had. If i was to buy another backhoe i go case or cat most likely. Jcb dont cost a fortune to work on. If you dont want genuine parts, try interpart. Your extra dig arm dropping sounds like a inner or out seal. Anyd your fluid dropping near the pump in the front could be a seal on the shaft. As already said, degrease it and throw up some pic of the machine nd where the problems are. What year is the machine ? I have a manual for a 3cx sitemaster, so i can scan pages if you want. I think the manual is for project 8 on

mcSpud

Hi Lads, I have the manual in a PDF if any of you want it.
But I have a similar problem, in that, theres left/right slop in the back actor. you can actually work the sloppiness by hand if its up off the ground. Is it a big deal to put all that right, I can't find a description of what to do anywhere. It's a 1988 3CX black cab, extradig and 4in 1.

I see a procedure in the manual for letting water out of the slew gearbox, but I don't think this could be causing the problem, could it?

Hopefully one of you can put me in the right direction!
S