• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

crane operator

Thanks. I’m really enjoying the 350hp and the Allison automatic.
Get to the important info- does it have A/C? That works?

Seriously though, congrats, it looks like a great truck. Even better is that you're busy enough to need it and have the work to pay for it. It had to be hard swapping locations and "starting" again, and not a lot of guys can do that.

Welder Dave

It has to be very rewarding to be able to have a nice truck like that and all the tools you need to do your job efficiently. The truck let's potential customers know you're ready to tackle anything that comes up. Many years ago when I set up a welding truck a Tig welder friend of my brother's said having a nice truck is like advertising. If you have a ratty and rusty old truck potential customers may shy away thinking your truck is a reflection of your work. A nice clean truck shows you take pride in your things so you likely take pride in your work as well.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I'm surprised you have the old phone number on the door. I would want a local area code and even a local landline exchange number. Not that anyone cares any more.
I’ve had that number for almost 20 years. I thought about changing it but the idea of letting everybody know didn’t sound fun

Mike L

Occupation
Get to the important info- does it have A/C? That works?

Seriously though, congrats, it looks like a great truck. Even better is that you're busy enough to need it and have the work to pay for it. It had to be hard swapping locations and "starting" again, and not a lot of guys can do that.
It does. There has definitely been some hurdles down here but I haven’t had trouble being busy.

ahart

Would you care to give a tutorial on that Ali arc bumper guard? I’d like to see how it mounts and tilts. Looks like it could be beneficial to us here in the Midwest where a deer could cost you same or more than what that guard costs.

That’s a super nice truck, I thought I’d miss the automatic but the 10 speed has been nice, sucks in rush hour traffic though.

What model air compressor is on there? Mine is a CAS3560 and it does well but hates cold weather, didn’t know if they’d improved.

Mike L

Occupation
CE93D511-3AE6-4CED-A3A8-2531FEB6B9FD.jpeg556DEE4A-9F36-4EA0-9DA0-6225CEE4BA4B.jpeg21F8AAF5-3A7A-49E1-AAD4-0D9B9DEF435E.jpeg6F382286-C0F7-448A-A779-2BCEFF7D3066.jpeg
Here you go ahart. the Ali arc bumper is pretty simple. Basically remove the factory bumper and braces. the new frame work bolts in between the front spring hangers. Then the bumper itself is bolted to the frame work and those bolts act as pivot pins. the bumper lifts up and is secured with the fancy eyebolt looking things. I wouldn’t want to pull anything with the bumper but it is well built and should deflect any deer or hogs that stand in the way of me getting to work. ali arc has a national account with any paccar dealer and the part number is kw031b.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That's a pretty sweet-looking imitation of a good ol' Aussie bullbar! But we don't bother with those fancy hoops around the headlights, we like all straight-line designs!

This is called a FUPs bullbar, Front Underrun Protections, it's designed to stop things you hit from going under.
You can bounce decent size steers off these bars, if they're silly enough to step into your path at 100kmh!
A lot of Outback Australia is unfenced, and no-one drives at night in this neck of the woods without a decent bar! Dark red-coloured cattle are the worst. They blend in with the red dirt!

Truck Shop

Mike---Not bashing your new truck or that Ali-Arc bumper, but one huge flaw with Ali-Arc.
The hinge point--there are no hardened bushings it's just aluminum against a bolt and Ali
also didn't use one long enough with unthreaded shank. If it's like all the others I've seen
it's threads wearing against aluminum. So if you leave it that way plus don't tighten the
sinch bolts in the front with a bar the vibration will eat out the hinge area, and it will be a
B!tch locking back each time. A bolt with smooth shank and short on threads.
We had three Ali-Arc bumpers and Herd brand mainly-not impressed with either. The best
out there is EFX.
Out of the 90 some crash bumpers we had very few did anything, at $2,500 plus each
allot of wasted money in my book.
Dark red-coloured cattle are the worst. They blend in with the red dirt!
Well if that's the case someone needs to make use of all that roadkill beef
and start roadside BBQ's along the way with 5 gallon buckets of dippin sauce.

Welder Dave

On Highway thru Hell they refer to the big bumpers as rabbit bumpers because they mount where the tow pins go leaving no where strong enough to hook to. Several have been ripped right off because there was no other choice. I think if there was a way to mount strong enough tow hooks and still use the bumper would be best way to go. Could maybe beef up the mounts like TS suggested in the process.

Truck Shop

On Highway thru Hell they refer to the big bumpers as rabbit bumpers because they mount where the tow pins go leaving no where strong enough to hook to. Several have been ripped right off because there was no other choice. I think if there was a way to mount strong enough tow hooks and still use the bumper would be best way to go. Could maybe beef up the mounts like TS suggested in the process.
It's one reason I don't care for the bumpers. On a Cascadia the ports for tow/recovery hooks
is used for the bumper mount/receiver, and those receiver mounts are not forged like the tow
hooks--just bend. So what happens is bumpers need to be removed in some cases to use tow
hooks--$300 plus removal fee. Now most will say {how often does it get removed?} Only takes
one time to be more than enough.

ahart

Going off their website, the guard for the T300 is the only one that lists “w/tow hooks” for a KW, making me think I’d have access to my tow receivers. I’ll admit, I don’t hate the look of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2253.jpeg
    IMG_2253.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 14

Truck Shop

Going off their website, the guard for the T300 is the only one that lists “w/tow hooks” for a KW, making me think I’d have access to my tow receivers. I’ll admit, I don’t hate the look of it.
Ali-Arc mounts totally different than Herd.