• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I wonder how much it would cost to take it to a local hot rod shop and dyno test the engine for a while to see if parts come off, fluids go where they don't belong before spending the time and trouble to install it in its home only to find out it is no good like this.

tctractors

Odd job putting the bits in backwards, the V on the block matches the V on the piston, I wonder if the rods are fitted to the crank in the right face or to the piston, the cylinder pack thing is something I never understood or would buy, I like to bare fit the liners and check the L.P.H. then fit the seals and install the liners, followed by the piston and rod assembly.

Monkeywithawrench

One of three I built for locals. You can guess what happens when thermostat malfunctions
with water cooled headers.
View attachment 294835View attachment 294836View attachment 294837View attachment 294838
WOW!!!!!
How many kilo's can you fit in the hull???LOL
Nice job on the engine!!!

My wife's best friends father lives down the street..........like a 2nd father to my wife. He's been into hot rodding forever. I call him the worlds oldest teenage. He tools around in a '34 purple coupe. Used to take it to the drags all the time. It's had so many different engines in it I can't count. He ended up getting a CAT 416 extend a hoe a few years ago. Heading over today to put the extend hoe back in. He ended up cracking the boom that slides out. It never ends with him..........too bad I can't bill him for all the time I spend on his stuff.

Monkeywithawrench

Odd job putting the bits in backwards, the V on the block matches the V on the piston, I wonder if the rods are fitted to the crank in the right face or to the piston, the cylinder pack thing is something I never understood or would buy, I like to bare fit the liners and check the L.P.H. then fit the seals and install the liners, followed by the piston and rod assembly.
That was another give away..........the V's were facing the back of the engine. I never checked the rods.........good point!!! I just stopped after pulling the head and seeing all the pistons 180 out.

Monkeywithawrench

It's a perfect example of a {baby boomer toy}.
Is that your pickup truck in front of the boat?? If it is, it looks like its in nice shape!!

(my first truck was a 77 Chevy blazer......had a 76 and 78 parts trucks.........many engines and transmissions........because BIGGER is always better!!! said the teenager/ 20 something year old)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Buddy of mine would collect the derelict flat bottoms around here, build stupid high power engines and stiletto props, boats looked like hell where would “Test run” them out on Alton Pool. Worst one he played with, 200 hp designed Merc outboard he had built insane HOT, took two of us on the tie down handles to keep it from sinking in the shallows until he could get it fired off then we let go and he was off to the races!!

Monkeywithawrench

So my wife's best friends parents live down the street from us. My wifes father passed away when she was 18 or so. So her best friends father sort of became a surogate father to her. I really think Dave is the world's oldest teenager. He has a '34 Ford coupe that he used to drag race. Now he just uses it as a street rod. Tools around in it all the time. He had a speed boat that had a 6 cylinder inboard outboard. The last iteration of that boat........he had put the biggest jet drive into he could fit.......and put a 500 cu in engine in it to drive it.

HOT ROD.jpg
HOT ROD FRONT.jpg

Dave's friend died and his backhoe was being stored at Dave's house.........well, it became his backhoe. He'd take it out, dig out the pond, blow a hose, break this, that, or the other thing and I'd end up down at his house fixing it. He kept tearing up a hose fitting to the bucket curl open side. About once a week I'd get a call from him saying he broke it again..........go down, cut the old one off, press a new one on. The 3rd time he called in 3 weeks the whole sleeve had been sliced open. The first 2 times, the fitting was bent like it had been hit. Looking at the boom, just after where the bucket curl cylinder was........the square tubing was all cracked and broken from him doing bad things with it all the way extended. Pulled the tube out, air arced the crack out, then welded it up. We were putting it together last week.........the grandson was out helping out (Kids and heavy equipment......gotta be out where the action is!!

BACKHOE NO STICK.jpg

BACKHOE EXTEND HOE INSTALL.jpg

So we were putting the stick into the backhoe using the crane. I had put the remote down on the back bumper to go over and pry, wriggle, prod the extend hoe back into the dipper section. The crane started doing crazy things all by itself!!! Got really spooked when the extend hoe started moving.........

Monkeywithawrench

Last year Dave decided he was going to replace the rear tires on the coupe.........but they still had some good meat on them. Well..............you just can't 'WASTE THE RUBBER ON THOSE TIRES'. He did a brake stand in front of the garage doors. I think it lasted 5-10 minutes. I'm at my house.......all you hear is the car revved up, burning rubber..........tires squealing forever. The smoke ended up drifting up to my house 1/4 mile away smelling of burned rubber.
Well.........I took ride to see if I could figure out where this emminated from..........I had a pretty good guess. Pulled into Daves driveway..........there he is cleaning the rubber off the door and fenders with acetone..........the garage door, white in color........is COVERED in melted rubber. I think he spent a week cleaning the coupe and the garage door. quote "NEXT TIME I'll do it away from the garage!!"LOL
Worlds oldest teenager.......80 years old.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
5F07A376-FD37-4330-A29B-0CFB79AF09D7.jpeg0621C0FE-6EB8-41E3-B918-4A40293D34ED.jpeg
Well... merry Christmas to me. It was time to upgrade and found a clean 2017 ex Carolina cat truck. Actually brought it home before thanksgiving and took some time to shine her up and get it ready. Started working out of it this week.