• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yep. Once you're high enough it don't matter how much higher you are. Acceleration due to gravity will only get you going so fast, once you're at terminal velocity you can sit back and enjoy the ride. It was a fairly soft site, I'd have gotten a good bounce or two!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Delivered the freshly painted IMT 180 to a job and stayed to help set it up. As I was about to pin the kelly cable to the bars I saw this.....
IMG_9410.JPG

So I got to change a kelly cable as well
:). It's not too bad on an IMT. It's 75' shorter than the Soilmec cable. Good times

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Just lucky I guess :). Even heard that a Watson got a cable today as well. It's been awhile for some of these rigs so I think it was just a fluke. We watch them pretty close. Cable on the one I did today looked great so it was a shame it had to go.

Not sure what would have rubbed the thimble like that. I suppose it could have been on a machine where the winch and crowd weren't in perfect unison and it allowed enough slack that the bars could rub the cable and swivel as they turned drilling. Just a theory.

Also diagnosed a weird electrical issue on the IMT220. Machine wouldn't shut off with the key....everything in the cab stayed on regardless of key position. Dug into the fuses and main cab relay. Two different wires go to relay, one gets hot with key and sends voltage to coil, the other on the same stud, I assume gets hot and sends juice somewhere else. Second wire runs through a diode, I assume to prevent backfeed of voltage thus keeping relay closed and applying constant power to coil and in turn to cab. I suck at electrical so I was kinda stoked to figure it out :).

There's the pesky little bast@rd.

IMG_9407.JPG IMG_9408.JPG IMG_9409.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Damn Ford design, they used diodes to save extra service wiring on a bunch of machines in the 80's/90's including the F series and L series medium/heavy duty truck lines. Never saw the cost savings and the damn things are not always on parts layout diagrams.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
What a week. I moved 7 drill rigs, our water truck and helped the guys drop a rotary out of an IMT so we could weld the lugs back to spec. I feel like a swaybacked lathered up ole horse!

We tried a new way to weld it. We usually leave it up on the boom which puts you welding up fairly high. Dropping it and flopping it on its back makes it soooo much easier!

IMG_9434.JPG IMG_9435.JPG IMG_9436.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Over the last year or so my shop has become a rather large storage place which in turn makes it look damn near like a landfill. So this long holiday weekend I worked on cleaning up and organizing things. On my third rolloff, a good bit of that stuff was also things I cleaned up outside as well as crap I have in my 40' containers.

I built a 8x24 enclosure so I can store things on top and create a tool room inside for welders, tool boxes, gun safe, ammo, service manuals etc. I am by no means a carpenter but it's square and just about wired so all that's left will be sheeting the walls in.

Outside walls will be OSB from top down 4' and then I'll use some extra metal from my building to reach from that point to the floor to help with sparks and whatnot.

A big shoutout to my buddy Josh, his dad and my dad for help along the way!

IMG_9449.JPG IMG_9450.JPG IMG_9453.JPG IMG_9457.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Oh, and another thing. I've got tire chains running out my ears. Quite a few sizes. Some double rail and some single. Also have about 12 steel 22.5 hub pilot wheels, 7 steel 17.5 hub pilot wheels and 2 17.5 aluminum hub pilot wheels. All the 17.5 are dual wheels.

I've also got about 50-60 4" straps, a set of load levelers for a stepdeck on 17.5's, several tarps, a couch/bed from a KW studio sleeper that's never been sat or slept on!

I'd post in the for sale but I think more people watch my thread so I'm getting more traffic here lol.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Oh, and another thing. I've got tire chains running out my ears. Quite a few sizes. Some double rail and some single. Also have about 12 steel 22.5 hub pilot wheels, 7 steel 17.5 hub pilot wheels and 2 17.5 aluminum hub pilot wheels. All the 17.5 are dual wheels.

I've also got about 50-60 4" straps, a set of load levelers for a stepdeck on 17.5's, several tarps, a couch/bed from a KW studio sleeper that's never been sat or slept on!

I'd post in the for sale but I think more people watch my thread so I'm getting more traffic here lol.

Give me a call when you get a chance tomorrow. Lets talk wheels. Wondering about changing my little 32 ft dropdeck to 17.5s. Will that work?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yep I'll give you a buzz on the way back out to the job I'm on. Should be around coffee time at Art's.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Drilled one hole yesterday. Fought us at every turn. Came out this am to set the cage and pull casing. Casing would not budge. Pulled all we could with service winch and it didn't move a bit. Last resort is to stick a kelly pin in the bars, hang an ear of the casing and bang away until she breaks loose.

Here's the pin after working on one side. Most are 1"

IMG_9468.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yep we got it. Funny thing is the casing was only 52" long. It was hung in some good sandstone.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So today I was back on the IMT I had changed the diodes in awhile back. Same symptoms. I turned the master on, had full power as if key was on. Slid the seat forward to gain access to the fuses etc. Everything shutoff. Hmmm. Slid seat back, stuff comes on. Slid forward and back several times with same result. Tore into armrest and reached down as far as I could on harness. Push down, power on, pull up, power off. Wtf

Pulled the bellypan under the cab.....fuc&in rats nest! Massive pile of $hit, foam, sticks you name it. Clean damn near a 5 gallon bucket worth of crap out and find the culprit. One wire was hanging on by a single strand. The other was half eaten.

So I fought the connector and got the two broken wires out. Ordered a big assortment of pins and sockets, crimpers etc so I can pin new wire in and splice back into the harness. Even talked the boss man into letting me setup SIS and online parts. It will sure save me time!

This machine sat several months after a job. When we loaded it we had to relocate a litter of kittens! Should have known when it acted up. A day in the life :)

IMG_9479.JPG IMG_9480.JPG

IMG_9483.JPG

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
There are an infinite number of pins and sockets used in these machines but if that is a true Deutsch brand connector I have had good luck getting just what I need on ebay. I sure don't want to have a huge tray of useless pins and shells so I try to get just what I need.