• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
So today I'm actually at the home shop in Joplin. Serviced my tool truck, tore into a skidsteer. Had a water leak. Corroded hole in front cover. We hardly use it. My thought was JB weld and be done with it.....

As you can see we went the hard way. Grrrr
Old Case 1845C? Biggest problem I could see is getting it clean enough to get the JBWeld to bond good.
I think I would wash it real good in parts cleaner, then hit with strong soap in pressure washer and if you have an oven big enough to fit it in back it at something like 350º for an hour to try to cook the oil/coolant out. Then rough it up real good and coat well with JB and maybe heat a bit to cure it good.

Oh if you need help timing that pump I think there is some guy down in SC who, if not busy putting up plywood, could help you with instructions!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
1845 yes sir. I think there gonna take it to a specialty shop that welds exotic stuff for us and see what he can do with it. After that I don't know that the plan is. Used cover maybe.

Haha yeah he might know a thing or two about it! As long as nobody turns it over it'll go back like it was.....I think :)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yep I'm hangin in there lol. Been fairly busy at work and twice as busy at home. Middle daughter was her freshman class homecoming queen, then the next weekend was oldest daughter's college homecoming, then youngest girl's dance team pics and a party. Good lord. Too much for me!

Add to that mom spending a couple days in the hospital and I haven't had two minutes to myself. Work has been the usual for the most part. Moving rigs pretty steady and addressing the occasional mechanical issue.

Thanks for checking in on me!

Reactions: LDK

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yep she's good. Guess I shouldn't have left that last post as a cliffhanger lol. I guess her heart meds were hard on her stomach and she ended up with an ulcer which caused low blood pressure and low blood count. Even after that her heart doc and GI doc argued over the meds she needs to take. A dozen tests, a transfusion and she's back home. Last I heard the docs were still arguing over what she should take. What f$&kin good are the heart meds if they cause this? Lol

She'll be 70 in January, seems like it's too early for this $hit! The old man is 73 and he hasn't spent a day in the hospital in my 39 years. I honestly couldn't tell you if he ever has! Other than when my sister and I were born and I'm not even sure of that!

Thanks for askin.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Yep she's good. Guess I shouldn't have left that last post as a cliffhanger lol. I guess her heart meds were hard on her stomach and she ended up with an ulcer which caused low blood pressure and low blood count. Even after that her heart doc and GI doc argued over the meds she needs to take. A dozen tests, a transfusion and she's back home. Last I heard the docs were still arguing over what she should take. What f$&kin good are the heart meds if they cause this? Lol

She'll be 70 in January, seems like it's too early for this $hit! The old man is 73 and he hasn't spent a day in the hospital in my 39 years. I honestly couldn't tell you if he ever has! Other than when my sister and I were born and I'm not even sure of that!

Thanks for askin.

Man, I must be getting braindead. In the post about the kids, when you mentioned Mom in the hospital, I thought you meant your wife, as in the kids mom. I was shocked as a heart condition was never mentioned when you guys were here. We will redirect our prayers in the right direction to "your" mom.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Man, I must be getting braindead. In the post about the kids, when you mentioned Mom in the hospital, I thought you meant your wife, as in the kids mom. I was shocked as a heart condition was never mentioned when you guys were here. We will redirect our prayers in the right direction to "your" mom.

Well the wife has em too but not nearly as bad as mom does. They might get matching pacemakers if the cryo stuff doesn't fix things. Different issues but very similar treatments. Thanks for the prayers, can't have too many of those!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
On a lighter note the ACMOC national show will be in San Antonio, Texas next year. We got the dates today and it is scheduled for October, 26th, 27th, and 28th. Maybe we can connect up if that's not to far from you. Always lot of cool and rare old Best, Holts, and Caterpillars at the show.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Sounds good. By then my new plan should be in place and I'll have a flexible schedule. I'd like to see that. If I catch traffic right I can make Austin in 7 hours.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Hey Junkyard, I have always enjoyed your thread. Sorry to hear about your mom. I can relate to your feelings about parents getting older. I am 47, parents are 81 and 79. They live about 1500ft away. we have two farmsteads with 15 acres of trees between them. my dad still cares for 50-60 cows. He does 90% of the work, me and my guy help out when he needs it. tough old guy. I always have the thought in the back of my mind, that things could go south for either one of them any day. Keep your chin up.

Steve

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's always a reality check. I saw mom deal with it when my grandpa had issues and finally passed away. Saw my dad deal with it when my grandma passed away. Funny thing is you're learning a life lesson, you just don't know it. My grandma really held that side of the family together and my mom is very much like her. There was a large void when she passed away. I was living in MN at the time and always went through the farm in MO to see her, even if it was just for a few minutes. I think I was 21-22 at the time.

There's a song that Colt Ford and Jake Owen do, "Back". When the he mentions his mom never letting him down, what will he do when she's not around, the thought of that knocks me on my a$$! I'm sure it's many years down the road but it's sure been on my mind lately!

My grandpa, dads family, worked 6 days a week his entire life. Went to bed after a days work and never woke up. He farmed, was a damn good carpenter and pretty handy wrenching on his old Farmalls. I think he was 74.

My other grandpa was a cancer survivor, recovered alcoholic (long before I came along) and made it into his 90's. My great grandmother (his mother in law) damn near made 101. My great aunt, dads aunt, made it to 105! Just died this spring. We've got good genes that's for sure.

I appreciate the words of encouragement. After my grandmothers funeral my cousin and I went out to tie one on. I was thoroughly inebriated and while standing in front of the trough somebody had scribbled on the wall "everyday above ground is a good day". I thought that was fitting given the scenario. My baptist aunt (cousins mom) didn't think much of me the next morning when I came down for breakfast about 3:00 pm!!! Picked my cousin's (my drinking cousin's older brother) son up from school green as a gourd riding shotgun in my cousin's pickup. He was about 9-10 at the time. To this day he remembers us wearing sunglasses even though it was a drury day and the radio was on very low to mitigate the headaches.....

Damn that was a long winded meandering post!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So I attempted a video today while hauling an IMT 180 from Antlers, OK back to Joplin. I wanted to catch the hard pulls and switchbacks on the northwest edge of the Kiamichi mountains. Well I got a lot of blue sky, occasional glimpses of the road and it's 90 degrees off. However, it does have one redeeming quality. You can listen to a C-15 Cat workin. Turbo whistle, jakes and a throaty pull. So ignore my poor cinematic skills and listen to it chug through the mountain at about 160,000 gross.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
No it wasn't. It's a good hard pull I was hoping that would show up. Oh well. Better luck next time.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
It's always a reality check. I saw mom deal with it when my grandpa had issues and finally passed away. Saw my dad deal with it when my grandma passed away. Funny thing is you're learning a life lesson, you just don't know it. My grandma really held that side of the family together and my mom is very much like her. There was a large void when she passed away. I was living in MN at the time and always went through the farm in MO to see her, even if it was just for a few minutes. I think I was 21-22 at the time.

There's a song that Colt Ford and Jake Owen do, "Back". When the he mentions his mom never letting him down, what will he do when she's not around, the thought of that knocks me on my a$$! I'm sure it's many years down the road but it's sure been on my mind lately!

My grandpa, dads family, worked 6 days a week his entire life. Went to bed after a days work and never woke up. He farmed, was a damn good carpenter and pretty handy wrenching on his old Farmalls. I think he was 74.

My other grandpa was a cancer survivor, recovered alcoholic (long before I came along) and made it into his 90's. My great grandmother (his mother in law) damn near made 101. My great aunt, dads aunt, made it to 105! Just died this spring. We've got good genes that's for sure.

I appreciate the words of encouragement. After my grandmothers funeral my cousin and I went out to tie one on. I was thoroughly inebriated and while standing in front of the trough somebody had scribbled on the wall "everyday above ground is a good day". I thought that was fitting given the scenario. My baptist aunt (cousins mom) didn't think much of me the next morning when I came down for breakfast about 3:00 pm!!! Picked my cousin's (my drinking cousin's older brother) son up from school green as a gourd riding shotgun in my cousin's pickup. He was about 9-10 at the time. To this day he remembers us wearing sunglasses even though it was a drury day and the radio was on very low to mitigate the headaches.....

Damn that was a long winded meandering post!

A long meandering post is good for the cobwebs every now and them. It makes us people instead of just handles.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It amazes me in 2017 that a camera phone that knows everything else about you is too stupid to orient a video correctly when you are filming it like that.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So my wife just sent me this pic of my 3 year old. She said he INSISTED on this for his bedtime book. For those who can't tell it's a Cat Performance Handbook :)

IMG_9348.JPG