• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
IMO, probably better replace the valve stack
A few of us will probably be fucking dead:eek: before your A-car is finished...by then maybe trucks will be auto driverless and run on political BS!

Lmao! Ya never know!

It's probably going to get a makeover, valve moved and all that jazz.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Inspiration

Great video StanRus. I do have to admit I was wondering at the beginning, when the truck was positioned, why they had to pull an engine in a brand new machine that did not even have any paint wear on the bottom of the pan.

StanRUS

old-iron-habit,

HEF viewers spotting machine switch; anticipated. IMT promo; mech’s typically step out of serv-trk and pi$$ on the ground; mark territory 1st! Maybe this video will start a trend, actual job being performed instead crane lifting a cement block.

Improving video as a promo IMO; positioning serv-trk behind the scraper stinger; normal positioning. Do away with all the supervising people and record a typical a$$hole-elbows remove, repair, install with mech and sometimes-helper (varies).

Enjoy holidays guys, cheers
Stellar Tmax2 Aluminum 14ft body reduces weight 1440lbs...F550 size body Tmax2 11-1 84”ca 52”/60” side packs weight reduction 780lbs / $21,420.00 fob.
http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/stellars-aluminum-service-bodies-use-steel-where-it-counts/
Crane Operator Certification; The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) today (8-30-2017) issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to extend the employer's responsibility to ensure crane operator competency and enforcement for crane operator certification to Nov. 10, 2018.

Junkyard; if your crane has integrated outriggers (crane pedestal-outriggers made together) you’ll need certification card on most jobs, i.e. property owner(s) won’t stick their necks out (liability).

Normal serv-trk position for R&I rear packs on 57s; photo mech was solo!
BH.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Let's see here...nothing too awful exciting going on. Mostly trucking. Rotary is still waiting patiently on the shop floor. We've been slammed with work so I've been moving rigs and tools like there's no tomorrow.

My 7 year old and I worked at the shop some yesterday re-powering an Ingersoll T30 compressor I have. Took 30 minutes to stick the motor on and have it running. Took two hours to get the darn unloading valve to function properly. I can say with certainty that the pop-off valves work properly!!

When equipment sits around it sure turns to $hit! My old bobcat welder took a days worth of piddling to get it back to working right. Parts that should move were stuck and parts that shouldn't were loose! I've had that thing for a good 10 years and it's only got 125 hours on it! I'll probably get my old F350 rigged out and stumble into a deal on a truck. Oh well. I hate not having my stuff ready for side work or repairing my own stuff. Maybe I'll post some pics of the ole girl. 99 with 325k on the clock.

Cold front has worked through. Talking low 50's high 40's next couple mornings. I'll take it!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I had a bit of excitment today. We have some big Wacker tampers that needed repairs at a customer's jobsite today. Machines were waiting in their laydown. No info as to the issues and no one around to ask. Figured I'll give them a good visual and then start them up and see if I could find the problem. Well I sure found it alright. Throttle linkage was damaged and wouldn't allow me to put the pump to no fuel. Lowest I could get it was 3/4 throttle. So there's me trying to get this thing shutdown as its bouncing all over the dang place. Eventually wandered back to my truck and grabbed some vice grips to pinch off the fuel line. I didn't realize it at the time but my truck door was open too and all the dust I kicked up blew straight into the cab lol.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
As Homer Simpson would say, Doh! I've had a few runaways myself. That is an amusing visual though, one hand controlling the all but uncontrollable and another digging around for pliers!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
It was pretty dang funny. I first tried to beat on the throttle handle, then tried to rip the fuel line off the bottom of the tank but couldn't manage it. Even tried to force the throttle linkage off by hand. By that time it had already beaten itself 4 inches into the dirt so I figured I'd be safe to walk away for 15 seconds to get my vice grips without it trying to climb onto the hood of my truck. Next time I'm keeping my vice grips in my pocket.

DARO

Occupation
Mechanic
I had that happen once. Tag said "will not stop". So i started it. They were right it would not come off wide open. This one had a choke so i choked it. Im sure i looked funny chaseing that thing a round on a hard parking lot trying to choke it..

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Here's the ole LDH rig mounted on a Hendrickson chassis. V8 cummins upper. LDH drills were built by Hughes as in Howard. Kinda Stone Age compared to the newer stuff we have but there's something satisfying about drilling with one of those old rigs. The kelly winch clutch doesn't really do its job right until she's smokin a bit and you can see the heat boiling off :)

It JUST fits in the well. 15' tall which isn't too bad to get around with.

IMG_9212.JPG IMG_9215.JPG Another full week of truckin. Moved 5 rigs around and have a couple I know of next week. I'm about to clean my personal tools out of the service truck since it gets used in my absence and I question how much it is returned properly or at all! With our upcoming work load I don't see a break coming in the windshield time. Ah well it's easy hours and almost always a few hours OT each week.

I was approached by a former customer to come to work for them and run their dump truck fleet (billion a year construction company). I'm really wrestling with the decision. Little or no travel, better $ but benefits are higher cost than union and not quite as good. I'm on the fence about it. In theory I'd be around home more for family stuff but I'd have more hours and responsibility (drama and bs!). It's almost a coin toss at this point....

Toodle-oo

hvy 1ton

That's a neat looking carrier. Spreading the weight around some with the stabilizers or just to keep the body roll down?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yeah. It's hard to keep chains tight and it likes to rock and roll a bit if we don't run the outriggers down. Bad part of that is leakin all over the place. Kinda treats the deck lol.

It is a cool ole truck. We drive it to jobs close to the shop. I love the boom swingin out over cars when you turn :cool:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Here's the ole LDH rig mounted on a Hendrickson chassis. V8 cummins upper. LDH drills were built by Hughes as in Howard. Kinda Stone Age compared to the newer stuff we have but there's something satisfying about drilling with one of those old rigs. The kelly winch clutch doesn't really do its job right until she's smokin a bit and you can see the heat boiling off :)

It JUST fits in the well. 15' tall which isn't too bad to get around with.

View attachment 172996 View attachment 172997 Another full week of truckin. Moved 5 rigs around and have a couple I know of next week. I'm about to clean my personal tools out of the service truck since it gets used in my absence and I question how much it is returned properly or at all! With our upcoming work load I don't see a break coming in the windshield time. Ah well it's easy hours and almost always a few hours OT each week.

I was approached by a former customer to come to work for them and run their dump truck fleet (billion a year construction company). I'm really wrestling with the decision. Little or no travel, better $ but benefits are higher cost than union and not quite as good. I'm on the fence about it. In theory I'd be around home more for family stuff but I'd have more hours and responsibility (drama and bs!). It's almost a coin toss at this point....

Toodle-oo

You have make your own decisions but one thing for sure with the union, you have a much better than average chance of your pension being there when you retire. Way to many companies have taken advantage of today laws and stole the pension moneys. If you go get a honorary withdrawal first from the Operators so you can go back at any time.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's funny you say that. I sat down this morning and went through my mail. I had my benefit statement for the quarter and the EOB's for the kids. After doing the math it would be very short sighted to make a change. I'm gonna stay put.

d9gdon

I can promise you, if you were over all that equipment they're going to work you about 80 hours a week because you'd be on salary...BTDT. But you have a big job title LOL.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I can promise you, if you were over all that equipment they're going to work you about 80 hours a week because you'd be on salary...BTDT. But you have a big job title LOL.

For sure they would. I could give two chits about a title lol. I have it pretty darn good at MF. I think I'll stay put for about 30 years.

crane operator

That does look like a great old rig. There's a lot to be said for simple. I was at a explosive contractor a while back, their mechanic was complaining about their drill rigs. He loves their older rigs, he can bypass just about anything electrical on them, and keep drilling. The new stuff goes down from electrical gremlins, and nothing moves until its fixed.