• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Did you happen to work on pipelines when you met that driver ?
I have never heard anyone called a swamper since I worked on pipelines.

At that time I worked for a small crane and machinery moving company that did a lot of oilfield and pipeline related work. That's what they called me back then, among other things!

gtermini

It's fun to ride with or watch a smooth driver. Set of sticks or otherwise. You don't see the antennas or cab flopping around. I rode with a guy years ago when I was a swamper. Smooth as silk. From that day forward I drove like him. I wanted to be so smooth you almost couldn't tell when I changed gears. Other than when I get in a hurry I'm like that. I've had plenty of practice! Easy on, easy off progressive shifts.

Watching the "gear jammers" who call themselves drivers kill me. Damn cabs look like they're about to be flipped off the frame.

I'd love to tame a 16V anything! V12 Cat or whatever. I've driven some mean trucks. One guy I knew had a SALTY KTA in an old W900A. Stupid HP and I have no doubt driven poorly it would spit the driveline into the next county.

Here's one of them clutch burners beating on an old Jimmy

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Just got done with a site specific orientation and OSHA 10. So a day and a half of sitting in a classroom. Wish it was tomorrow for the class as it's supposed to rain all day. Have the swing motor to pull on one machine and while at orientation site I took a quick look at one machine that's got a leak and will need an o-ring or two.

I haven't come home clean two days in a row in years. When I walked in yesterday my youngest looked at me like "what are you doing home on a Monday?" It's funny the routine they get used to.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I haven't come home clean two days in a row in years. When I walked in yesterday my youngest looked at me like "what are you doing home on a Monday?" It's funny the routine they get used to.

Just as long as it wasn't your better half saying that!:rolleyes:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Got the swing motor pulled today. Ended up ordering a new one. We have three machines with the same one so it will be rebuilt and set on the shelf. The drilling is hard on the brake so a spare isn't all bad. Not much to pulling it other than the extra crap IMT has around it. I managed to get the control valve up out of the way without removing any lines. You can see the strap holding it in the one pic. Nice to turn some wrenches after so many weeks in the haul truck.

IMG_9295.JPG IMG_9297.JPG IMG_9298.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That's a new one on me.

Yeah that's the owner's OCD ways. I guess the pickups have been pulled over a time or two in other states because MO has them up front so that's his solution or method of prevention I guess you'd say. One of many quirks :)

kshansen

Occupation
I've been following this thread for quite a while and only just noticed its "Junkayrd's Work Thread"
I could not understand what you were saying took a bit of time then I finally noticed! Kind of like those test where they put duplicate words in to see if you notice. Took over a year for someone to notice or mention it here!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I could not understand what you were saying took a bit of time then I finally noticed! Kind of like those test where they put duplicate words in to see if you notice. Took over a year for someone to notice or mention it here!

Do I get a trophy? :p

kshansen

Occupation
Hookid on fahonics workid four mee
Sounds like me, more than once I have had to resort to an old paper dictionary to get a word spelled right after trying several times to get my computer's spell checker to understand what I wanted to write!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Sounds like me, more than once I have had to resort to an old paper dictionary to get a word spelled right after trying several times to get my computer's spell checker to understand what I wanted to write!

Funny how sometimes spell check is on the ball and does what you want. Others it throws the most random word in there. I guess the good thing about kids in school is I'll keep my spelling and grammar skills sharp!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
IMG_9310.JPG IMG_9311.JPG So today I'm actually at the home shop in Joplin. Serviced my tool truck, tore into a skidsteer. Had a water leak. Corroded hole in front cover. We hardly use it. My thought was JB weld and be done with it.....

As you can see we went the hard way. Grrrr