• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

john deere 690 E LC comments

beandrew

Occupation
Farmer
thinking of buying a john deere 690 e lc for farm dirt work (ditch digging, tree killing, and some trenching for tile. I have a 12 yard scraper and box scaper and a few tractors. What do you guys think of the 690 e lc or do you have any other ideas? I just find that 690 e lc's are very common here in nebraska and i could get filters and other stuff right from my john deere dealer. Another idea would be a john deere 200 lc newer model more money but is it worth it.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I have ran a 690 for a little while the machine was okay a little slow but okay. I was told with the 690s they have to be set up properly the controls are electronic and they need to be adjusted and you never have any problems. Have one opertor in the area he swears by 690 Deeres I forget how many hours he has on one but its 10,000 or more.

The newer the machine the better if you can find a low houred 200LC your probably better off.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall the 690E is where the marriage with Hitachi happened. The machine has Hitachi electronic controls but the John Deere engine. I could be wrong about this so I'm sure others will chime in. I also seem to recall they did away with the Linde hydraulic system and went to Kawasaki pumps and Hitachi main control valves.

I have inspected many excavators and in the case of Deere have seen some common issues. The first is the engines producing copious amounts of vapor from the crankcase breather. The problem is compression gasses going by the piston rings for whatever reason. If the engine has muliple engine oil seeps and leaks you can be pretty safe in saying the engine is worn. I have always prefered the Hitachi machines with the Isuzu engine. The Isuzu engine is far more expensive to replace but will outlast the Deere engine about 4 to 1.

The second item is overheating hydraulic systems. Most Deeres, and many other makes, that I have looked at with any age have leaking cylinders at the rod packing, seeping flange seals and hydraulic hoses bleeding through the outer covers. If the machine you are looking at shows any of these signs, look for something else. It will be a short period of time before big expensive items begin to fail.

Good Luck!

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Hitachi machines are the most popular in B.C. aswell it all started with the old UH machines. Yes the Isuzu engines lasted for ever the EX150 I was running the engine was a ball of grease but it run and run. The hour meter was broken but it had up to 12,000 hours.

I have been hearing complaints from the operators that run the newer deeres roadbuilding. The Deere engines are noisier and burn more fuel over the Isuzu thats in the 350 Roadbuilder. Machine is the exact same shape etc you put a 350 Roadbuilder beside a 3554 Deere its pretty hard to tell the difference besides the paint color just looking at the machines.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
Please delete my post here! LOL

Last edited:

dayexco

beandrew, i have no clue what age, hrs., price range you're looking for, but i have a 690 elc we use daily. it has been a wonderful machine, a 94 model year, but we updated it with a 210 case. it has 7k hrs on it. the undercarriage "could" use some work, but depending on how you plan on using it, it might last you forever. i'm in south dakota, 3 hrs. north of sioux city on i-29....you can message me if you want to see some pics, etc.

in fact, it's the one in the picture of my avatar

RKO

690e

The 690E is one of the fastest excavators made. You can set the pump to run the machine fast or slow it down. I had four 690E along with two 200LC and 200CLC and the 690E is a better machine. They still have the Linde Hyd. pumps and the will not give you any trouble. The 690E will out last and out dig a 200 JD. The 690E is one of the few excavator that have both electronic and manual controls. (if the electrons give you trouble you can switch to manual) The engine will start no matter how cold it is and is good on fuel. They will run 13,00 hours plus with no expense. Do not believe what some say about the engine not being good. Some of the parts were made by Hitachi and some were JD made. The Engine, and Hydr. Cylinders are John Deere and the pumps are Linde. There are some other parts that are different. You can get parts from John Deere or Hitachi. There are some after market parts adv able. Parts are no more expensive that any other brand. I had three 690E that had over 13,000 hours and had no major expense. I know were two are and they are still going. I would buy another one if I could find a low hour one.

deeredriver

Who makes aftermarket parts for the 690E? I just thought there was deere/hitichi? Anyway, I bought a 690ELC for my farm, and it has done a lot of work. I did put some money in it, fixing small things and put a new interior in it. I use it at least 20 hours a month and the going rate is $120.00hr. So I am still way ahead after paying for the machine and fuel. Before I always had to stack up work to even justify calling out a machine and operator. Now I just turn the key when I need something done!

bordercollie

Occupation
Dealer service tech with 20 yrs experience,
690's are all deere machines except for the cab, 490's, 790's, 890's are the deere-hitachi thing.

Deere built the e series wheel loaders and the 450,550 and 650 G dozers for hitachi. In return hitachi built the excavators for deere.

If memory is correct, the deere-hitachi excavators were assembled in South Carolina, the 690,s were all made and assembled in Iowa, except for the cab, that is a Hitachi component.

The 344e and 444e loaders are hitachi.

All deere machines use their own engine, the machines that deere built for hitachi went to hitachi without a engine.

Deere pump and valve electronic components (sensors, psi switches,etc...)
will usually cross over to a Hitachi number and vice versa. One exception to the rule is the pump and engine electronic control boxes, located behind the seat.

you can put a 790 e pump and engine controller in a ex 200-3 and it will run but machine will act funny, (slow arm for example) Just did this while troubleshooting a hitachi. I had good used deere controllers and thought that I had faulty hitachi controllers. Ended up being faulty wiring harness and pump controller in the hitachi.

ok, back to the 690, it is a deere only machine and a breed of its own, a very good and durable machine as well as the rest of the deere-hitachi joint venture lineup.

RKO

690e

The first 690E's were built in Davenport IA. and the later ones were built in Augusta GA. Except the Long Fronts (50 ft./60 ft.), they were all built in Davenport IA. The long front 690E were even built when the 200LC's were built. When I bought my first 690E I hauled it from the Davenport plant but when I got the second 690E I had it hauled from Augusta. The Cab/car body, track motors, boom, stick, rollers and frame are the same as Hitachi. The, side sheet metal, engine, Tracks, cylinders and electronics are John Deere. The Hydraulic Pumps are Linde. The 690E is a breed of it's own like bordercollie said.

deeredriver
HeavyQuip in Kansas City has been able to get some after market parts. SunSource can get Hydraulic Pumps/Pump parts and motors. Grace track, track parts. Red Dot Air Conditioning, Consolidated Technologies electronic parts, Hercules, cylinder kits/parts and engine, endurance

beandrew

Occupation
Farmer
looked at 690 e lc

went looked at an excavator with 4880 hours on it. it had a new pump on it but it had a flutter or pulse that you could feel in the controls and the tracks were lose and extended all the way out but the rear sprocket looked good and track alinement guides were bent up. besides that i think i am going to buy it and fix it the price is right.

RKO

690e

went looked at an excavator with 4880 hours on it. it had a new pump on it but it had a flutter or pulse that you could feel in the controls and the tracks were lose and extended all the way out but the rear sprocket looked good and track alinement guides were bent up. besides that i think i am going to buy it and fix it the price is right.

If the hydr. seem to Flutter it could be the control values are not set right. It is not a hard job to set them. The tracks are not expensive, but don't get sticker shock when you price the track guides from John Deere. No one is making aftermarket track guides yet, so I made my own. Try RDO when you need parts/service, they are better than Murphy Tractor for parts/ service. If you need help give me a yell. I have had four of them, and they are not hard to work on.

RKO

690E Thumb/Grapple

I took some pictures of the older 690E and the thumb/grapple that I built for it, because that is what you are going to buy. I have one on a 330 that I use a lot and like it too. It is a lot wider and heavier. I used all T1 type steel and note how wide the mount is. I built two outer brackets to support the pivot pin. Used it for many hours and never had a problem.

Attachments

• Bucket5.jpg
    Bucket5.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 6,515
  • Bucket 1.jpg
    Bucket 1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 6,536
  • Bucket 2.jpg
    Bucket 2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 6,472
  • Bucket 3.jpg
    Bucket 3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 6,566
  • Bucket 4.jpg
    Bucket 4.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 6,495
Last edited:

RKO

690E Thumb/Grapple

A couple more. If you want I can trace a pattern, get sizes and send it to you.
Sorry the one picture is of a deer head that I cut out of 1/4 steel. I put it in between the double pane glass in my front door I made.

Attachments

• Bucket 6.jpg
    Bucket 6.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 6,621
  • Bucket 7.jpg
    Bucket 7.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 6,640

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
690ELC
I just recently sold our 1993-690 and I am glad to be rid of it. It had 8000+ hours and was nickel & diming us to death. We are a Utility Contractor in Northeast Arkansas and we baby our machines, I personally put over half the hours on the machine and it was never as dependable as our Hitachi machines. The 690ELC was an in-house machine,not as similar to the 200-3 hitachi with the different shaped counterweight, funky off-brand hydraulic pumps, etc. People can say the Deere's are the same as Hitachi's, but I beg to differ, because the Isuzu diesel matched with Hitachi pumps are a perfect match, in my opinion. Hitachi began building John Deere's excavator from its conception in 1969, thus the 69 in 690, and has had a major hand in its evoulution ever since.

dayexco

690ELC
I just recently sold our 1993-690 and I am glad to be rid of it. It had 8000+ hours and was nickel & diming us to death. We are a Utility Contractor in Northeast Arkansas and we baby our machines, I personally put over half the hours on the machine and it was never as dependable as our Hitachi machines. The 690ELC was an in-house machine,not as similar to the 200-3 hitachi with the different shaped counterweight, funky off-brand hydraulic pumps, etc. People can say the Deere's are the same as Hitachi's, but I beg to differ, because the Isuzu diesel matched with Hitachi pumps are a perfect match, in my opinion. Hitachi began building John Deere's excavator from its conception in 1969, thus the 69 in 690, and has had a major hand in its evoulution ever since.

i think your years are off by 20 years...i don't think deere joined w/hitachi until the D series excavators...maybe some of the older C series, otherwise were all deere/design build...i bought a hitachi 200 new in 93, put 9k hours in it, had NO problems...but, i bought a 93 690 deere in 97 with 2200 hours on it, we now have 7k hours on it, replaced turbo, few pins/bushings, other than that, no down time

RKO

John Deere 690E

690ELC

I have had three 690E that I put over 13,000 hours on each and never had any problems with them. I still have a 690E that has 7,000 hours and it has been just as good. I have had a couple Hitachi machines and they have been good, but not any better than the Deeres. The "funky off-brand hydraulic pump" as you refer to are Linde Hydr. Pumps. They are used in many industrial applications and great as long as you use the right oil, which is the case with any Hydr. pump. . The 414 John Deere engine is bullet proof and will start no matter how cold it is and easy on fuel. It is one of John Deere's best engines. That was two factors in buying the Deeres over the Hitachi machines, along with not having a Hitachi Dealer at that time.
The John Deere 690E was not built by Hitachi as some people think. Some Parts were built by Hitachi for John Deere, but a lot were built by John Deere, Linde, Red Dot, Central Fab, Rexroth, Positech, Fairfield Manufacturing, Consolidated Technologies and several more. They were assembled/built in John Deere's plants Davenport Ia then in their Augusta Ga. plant.

Last edited:

RKO

i think your years are off by 20 years...i don't think deere joined w/hitachi until the D series excavators...maybe some of the older C series, otherwise were all deere/design build...i bought a hitachi 200 new in 93, put 9k hours in it, had NO problems...but, i bought a 93 690 deere in 97 with 2200 hours on it, we now have 7k hours on it, replaced turbo, few pins/bushings, other than that, no down time

I think he is off even more than 20 years dayexco. The 69 had nothing to do with the year Hitachi and Deere devolped the 690. How would you explain the 290, 490, 590, 690, 790, 892, 992??? Now throw in the 792, 595 and several others.

Hitachi did not have anything to do with the 690 series John Deere's except building SOME parts for John Deere. All 690 series were John Deere's machines. Not until the 200series in 1995 did Hitachi have a part in development and production of that class of John Deere machines.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I have had three 690E that I put over 13,000 hours on each and never had any problems with them. I still have a 690E that has 7,000 hours and it has been just as good. I have had a couple Hitachi machines and they have been good, but not any better than the Deeres. The "funky off-brand hydraulic pump" as you refer to are Linde Hydr. Pumps. They are used in many industrial applications and great as long as you use the right oil, which is the case with any Hydr. pump. . The 414 John Deere engine is bullet proof and will start no matter how cold it is and easy on fuel. It is one of John Deere's best engines. That was two factors in buying the Deeres over the Hitachi machines, along with not having a Hitachi Dealer at that time.
The John Deere 690E was not built by Hitachi as some people think. Some Parts were built by Hitachi for John Deere, but a lot were built by John Deere, Linde, Red Dot, Central Fab, Rexroth, Positech, Fairfield Manufacturing, Consolidated Technologies and several more. They were assembled/built in John Deere's plants Davenport Ia then in their Augusta Ga. plant.

So what brand and size excavtors do you run or have now besides the old 690E with 7000 hours on it?????? Why do you like them if not Deere machine?

Last edited:

RKO

So what brand and size excavtors do you run or have now besides the old 690E with 7000 hours on it?????? Why do you like them if not Deere machine?

The oldest machine is an 235 Cat. It was a pipe machine all it's life until I bought it for loading trucks with dirt. Good old machine, little obsolute in today's standards, but can't bet it for loading trucks. The old 235 are bullet proof. Next is the 690E Good machine, one of Deere's best machines. Then I just sold my 200 Komatsu, fair machine, easy on fuel . Can not travel and use stick/boom function at same time, hate that. It seems to be about a 5,000 to 6,000 hour machine??? If Komatsu would have just built it a little heavier and fixed using the two Hydr. problem it would be a great machine. A friend of mine had been using it the last year for pipe work and bought it this winter. Then I have a 330 John Deere good machine, Starts good dependable I have another John Deere on lease that will be going back at next week. The Komatsu is being replaced with a 322 Cat I did some trading/switching/leasing late last year and ended up buying this machine, to replace the Komatsu. I don't have many hours on it so I can't say much about it but so far it is seems OK. I have had some little things go wrong but they have been fixed, seems a little slow especially when you get out of a Deere but then most newer machines seem slower. I think it is going to be a good machine. Little hard on fuel.
This is what my goal is for the machines I have. I want to get down to three main machines.
I have the 235 setting on a dirt pile to load trucks. (get my ponds cleaned out and make money selling the dirt)
I have the 690 set up for dirt/demo work and then have a 60 foot long reach Stick/Boom that can be switch for long reach work. (long reach gets used a lot)
The 330 is my pipe/dirt machine. I have a quick coupler so I can switch buckets. I have a long reach boom/stick for it also (have not used the long reach much on this machine).
The 322 is going to be my do all machine. I have a quick coupler with three buckets (one bucket has a grapple one it) and a roller. As the 690 gets more hours I'll get a long reach for this machine and re[lace the 690 with this machine)
I would have all John Deere machines except their is not a good dealer in this area, Now that Murphy has Iowa and Missouri. They have poor parts and service. I get what parts I need from RDO faster. Komatsu I have had good service and fair parts service, some parts take two or three days which??? can hurt you at the wrong time. They have bent over to help me. NMC is a joke they are poor on service and parts I get most Cat parts from Zieglers faster, They are a great dealer. I have ran many other brand/sizes of machines. The bottom line is the machine is no better than the dealer.