• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Joeyinstx

Looking for ideas on what might be wrong with my JD 310J SN T0310JX150036. The machine was working fine and then it just shut down. It did not throw any error codes and all gauges were good. I checked the fuel flow from the tank, to the transfer pump, through the filter and to the injector pump and it seems to be OK. It just cranks and doesn't start. If I give it a shot of starting fluid its starts for 3 seconds and then shuts off. I've attached a pic of the injector pump info plate.

Anybody have any ideas on what to check and where to start diagnosing the problem?

INJECTOR PUMP.jpg

Anybody have any ideas on what to check and where to start diagnosing the problem?

Last edited:

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Near the injection pump is a 10 amp fuse. That is unswitched battery power to the ECU. Make sure that is OK.

Joeyinstx

Good Morning MG, checked ECM 10a fuse and it’s good. Check 12v to ECM and it’s good. Any other tests you can recommend?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Turn your key on and wait until bulb check is over, push and hold the menu button until service menu appears in the screen. Push next until codes appear. Press select. Post all active and/or stored codes. While in codes and after you recorded them press next to get to clear code screen, then press select to clear the codes. Cycle the key, try to start then check if any codes come back.

@JL Sargent

Nope, Pulse Width Modulated Solenoid.

Joeyinstx

Morning MG,

No active codes in system. Any other ideas. Fuel tank level sending unit is not working, showing empty tank even though tank is full. Will this shut injection pump down?

Attachments

• 60709B28-66DD-4426-B8A9-4C42B6F990F0.jpeg
    60709B28-66DD-4426-B8A9-4C42B6F990F0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7

jimg984

check the return tubing for flow from injector pump to storage tank, also the fitting at pump where tubing connects, may also check the fitting for flow, if fitting is removed there may be a spring and ball inside, careful not to lose them, ball and spring act as a check valve preventing back flow from tank side

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Do you have any gauges to check fuel transfer pump pressure? Would like to know the pressure when cranking.

If you backprobe the injection pump connector (carefully) at the white wire with a LED test light, does it flicker when you crank the engine?

If you have fuel good flow and pressure to the injection pump, then remove one of the high pressure injection lines. Have someone crank the engine while you watch. Does the fuel spurt out, dribble out or not come out at all?

Can you take a picture of your ECU showing the label the is affixed to it (if it still there)?

Joeyinstx

MG,

I’m traveling and won’t be close to the machine for a few days. When I return I’ll run the tests you mentioned. Thanks

Joeyinstx

Do you have any gauges to check fuel transfer pump pressure? Would like to know the pressure when cranking.

If you backprobe the injection pump connector (carefully) at the white wire with a LED test light, does it flicker when you crank the engine?

If you have fuel good flow and pressure to the injection pump, then remove one of the high pressure injection lines. Have someone crank the engine while you watch. Does the fuel spurt out, dribble out or not come out at all?

Can you take a picture of your ECU showing the label the is affixed to it (if it still there)?

MG,

I replaced the Vehicle System Monitor because the screen was hard to read from sun exposure.

I’m getting these errors:

After bulb test: low fuel level - I know it’s a bad sending unit.
Also getting converter temp fault.

Active Codes: SDM 177.03 and SDM 224.02 They reappear even after clearing system.

Stored Codes - Before Clearing, the it had the two codes listed above and the following SDM 1508.03, SDM 234.02, SDM 2000.13, ECU 1076.06

any ideas from these codes? Machine still will not start and I’m not sure if it’s the fuel pump or ECU. Trying to figure this out because both are expensive. Thanks

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Did you clear the codes to see what comes back?

Active Codes: SDM 177.03 and SDM 224.02

SDM 177.03 is Torque Converter temperature sensor Input voltage too High. Translated, that means you have an open wire/connection, or a bad sensor. Sensor is located on the front right side of the transmission near the bottom.

There is no SDM 224.02 listed, but I think you meant 234.02? A 234.02 code is a software mismatch code between the Monitor and the FLC (Flex Load Controller) which is from installing a new monitor. That would require a Deere tech to reprogram your controllers to get rid of that code. The 2000.13 code would also be from a software mismatch, but with the ECU.

The stored code 1076.06, does that ever go active? That code is Pump Solenoid Circuit (Fuel Injection Pump) Severely Shorted. That could be the wiring, pump solenoid or a bad driver in the ECU.

Joeyinstx

Did you clear the codes to see what comes back?

SDM 177.03 is Torque Converter temperature sensor Input voltage too High. Translated, that means you have an open wire/connection, or a bad sensor. Sensor is located on the front right side of the transmission near the bottom.

There is no SDM 224.02 listed, but I think you meant 234.02? A 234.02 code is a software mismatch code between the Monitor and the FLC (Flex Load Controller) which is from installing a new monitor. That would require a Deere tech to reprogram your controllers to get rid of that code. The 2000.13 code would also be from a software mismatch, but with the ECU.

The stored code 1076.06, does that ever go active? That code is Pump Solenoid Circuit (Fuel Injection Pump) Severely Shorted. That could be the wiring, pump solenoid or a bad driver in the ECU.

MG,

Thank you. I got cap and contacts kit for the fuel solenoid. I will install it even though the code disappeared when cleared. I will post my progress.