• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310E Backhoe with trans fluid pushing up dipstick?

JL Sargent

Check the clutch cutout switch.
Thanks, turns out we had bumped the gearshift and simply knocked it out of gear. :) :) We are still chasing the MFWD not disengaging on this machine. Suspect internal transmission sliding collar not working.

JL Sargent

Turns out there must be an issue with the transmission after it gets worked some. I can crank the tractor and fluid level in transmission is right on the full mark. After working the tractor for a while with the loader the fluid seems to go up dipstick and tractor stops moving in forward or reverse. If I let it sit a while it will go back to working properly. Torque converter losing fluid while operating tractor? Then returns while tractor sits?

Lee Timmons

Turns out there must be an issue with the transmission after it gets worked some. I can crank the tractor and fluid level in transmission is right on the full mark. After working the tractor for a while with the loader the fluid seems to go up dipstick and tractor stops moving in forward or reverse. If I let it sit a while it will go back to working properly. Torque converter losing fluid while operating tractor? Then returns while tractor sits?
JL,as i stated earlier, I'm having the exact same issue with my 1989 210c. For the life of me i can't figure out what is wrong with this machine. It came on very suddenly, without any warning whatsoever, i was running it home and coming up the driveway it just quit. No forward or backwards, now when i use it for a little bit it just quits moving, if i shut it off and wait a little while it works perfectly again until its next fit. Also every time it blows oil out of the reverser when it does this. I've checked and double checked the fluid level and alls good. I've cleaned the vent that was mentioned, but no help, checked the reverser sump screen and cleaned, still no good! This thing is going to drive me crazy.
i haven't taken the reverser out yet because I am not convinced that the clutches are bad. Anyhow, if you make any progress with yours, please let me know and I'll do the same if i find anything. Lee

JL Sargent

Might be an assortment of issues going on with mine a least. The parking brake will come on by itself and stop the tractor while in F or R randomly. I can mess with it some in neutral and it will go back off. Then it turns itself back on again a few minutes later. I can turn tractor off and crank it right back up and it will go back to working properly???

Another one: I can put the tractor against a tree and really work it hard with all tires spinning or trying to spin for 15 seconds or so and tractor will lose power in forward or reverse and parking brake will also be trying to come on. Checking dipstick reveals the fluid traveling up the dipstick as I mentioned in post #22. If I let it sit a spell, all will go back to working properly
and fluid back to full mark on dipstick. Weird.

Del Ingalls

Gentlemen, was this issue ever resolved for either of you? I am having very similar issues with my 1995 310D where, when warm and during a shift of gear or FnR, the tractor will not move either direction. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes and everything is fine. I have not been yet able to check levels or for foaming during the event. No interaction off or on with the Park Break on mine though. Let me know if you resolved this?

JL Sargent

Yes, it was resolved. The transmission's clutch frictions were breaking down and stopping up the transmission pump's pickup screen. This created a crazy amount of suction that actually pulled air around the O-rings between the pump and the transmission. I would not have guessed that was possible. My 15 year old son could actually hear the air getting by (a very high pitched sound). The fix was pulling the trans and going through it. There is a thread here all about it.

This is the 310E backhoe so it's different from yours.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/jd-310e-transmission-pull-repair-help.79569/

Last edited:

emmett518

Check the vent on top of the trans. Left side of the machine looking at the transmission top from the engine compartment. There is a tiny little vent that likes to get buried in dirt over time.
This sort of thing is why I use a leaf blower on my hoe when I am finished using it. Keeps things clean.